Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 622970 times)

0 Members and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7957
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2075 on: January 19, 2025, 04:55:48 pm »
Well that sucks. I knew they were being sued for patent infringment by Stratasys but I wasn't too worried about that outcome after reading expert opinions abut it. I'll keep looking at other options for a while now.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline Coordonnée_chromatique

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 295
  • Country: fr
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2076 on: January 19, 2025, 05:57:13 pm »
Turned my fans off and printed an open side panel with few ingeo 4043.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7957
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2077 on: January 21, 2025, 01:10:33 pm »

I might hold off on Bambulabs for a while...


Clarifications issued -

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Online racemaniac

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 53
  • Country: be
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2078 on: January 21, 2025, 02:45:47 pm »

I might hold off on Bambulabs for a while...


Clarifications issued -


Sadly enough, this is yet another nice example of corporate gaslighting... They're crawling back on some of the things they said and claim it was "misinformation", while that "misinformation" was just exactly what they said (the best they could say is "it's not what we meant" ). And strangely enough the original versions of what they said can't be found on archive.org, someone asked them to no longer archive the bambulab site after previous instances of customers finding out promises made to customers were suddenly disappearing....



So yeah, i guess it's nice that they're walking back what they announced, that they lie about it however is yet another can of worms they opened. They said exactly what the people were complaining about, and now "clarify it" while stealth updating their site to make it seem they always said what they're saying now, and try to use that to discredit all the people that called them out...
 
The following users thanked this post: krish2487

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7957
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2079 on: January 24, 2025, 11:36:57 pm »
Well I changed my mind. I just ordered the Anycubic Kobra S1 Combo, which I won't get for a month or so. Early Bird price was $650.

https://store.anycubic.com/collections/fdm-printer/products/kobra-s1-combo
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12604
  • Country: au
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2080 on: February 18, 2025, 04:28:30 am »
Elegoo released their new Core XY 3D printer today: Centauri Carbon (and the Centauri, which is the same printer but without the enclosing panels). Specs rival the Bambu X1 carbon.

The pre-order price is USD $299.99  :wtf:  That is insane.

It's AUD $699.99 for us in Oz.  That Australia tax can be painful.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2025, 05:24:50 am by Brumby »
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 
The following users thanked this post: vmax

Online PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8825
  • Country: 00
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2081 on: February 18, 2025, 12:37:17 pm »
Quote
Specs rival the Bambu X1 carbon

Seems to be single colour, whereas the Bambu is multi-reels.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7957
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2082 on: February 18, 2025, 01:08:37 pm »
I'll like the ability to change colors automatically, but I only plan on doing it for certain models. For example, several sets of layers each with it's own color, i.e. that don't change within the layer. But for models like the one shown, with color changes within the same layer - nope. Really wasteful. It's pretty disgusting the amount of waste generated there.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Online PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8825
  • Country: 00
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2083 on: February 18, 2025, 01:29:00 pm »
Is that done with a single extruder? I have a Flashforge Dreamer, which is dual-filament, and it does changes within layers without waste. Also useful for, say, having water-soluble supports, or soft and squishy areas, within the normal PLA/ABS build.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7957
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2084 on: February 18, 2025, 01:56:46 pm »
Is that done with a single extruder?

Yes.

Quote
I have a Flashforge Dreamer, which is dual-filament, and it does changes within layers without waste. Also useful for, say, having water-soluble supports, or soft and squishy areas, within the normal PLA/ABS build.

You mean "dual extruder" - well of course that will not have waste, but it's just two colors. How would you use four colors?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Online PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8825
  • Country: 00
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2085 on: February 18, 2025, 02:04:27 pm »
I wouldn't :)

But it occurs to me that it would result in half the waste of using a single extruder, and the extra cost isn't that much. Perhaps the main issue is that it reduces the X (or Y if that way inclined) axis capability.

I think most multi-filament jobs would be, as suggested above, for things like easily-removable supports or different compounds. Those are functional things, whereas coloour changes are cosmetic.
 

Offline CatalinaWOW

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6102
  • Country: us
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2086 on: February 18, 2025, 02:31:00 pm »
 A feature of the X1 with AMS that I enjoy is having four different filaments at the ready for prints.  No need to move reels in and out of a dry box or load into the feeder.  Little waste when not changing filaments mid print, though there is a little as it clears the print head after finishing a print.

Hard to put a monetary value on that, but it is nice.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7957
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2087 on: February 18, 2025, 02:47:36 pm »
A feature of the X1 with AMS that I enjoy is having four different filaments at the ready for prints.  No need to move reels in and out of a dry box or load into the feeder.  Little waste when not changing filaments mid print, though there is a little as it clears the print head after finishing a print.

Hard to put a monetary value on that, but it is nice.

Yea that's one reason I have the Anycubic Kobra S1 combo on pre-order, for that very reason. My Ender has got to be retired.

I wouldn't :)

Right ... but you actually still could use more than two colors.

Did you know we don't even need all this advanced color changing technology to make a 3D print with two colors, or four, ... or as many as you want - AND with very little purge waste? I've done it many times over the years with my old boat anchor Ender 3.

I can insert a code snippet from my slicer into the G code at specific points in the print. This snippet will pause the print, raise and move the extruder away from the print, and hold there with the nozzle still heating. Then I can manually pull out the filament myself and change it for another color. I then simply resume the print and it picks up exactly where it left off and works like a charm. Also if you don't care about a little color blending at that point, you only have to push out a couple CM of filament to make sure it's feeding properly when you change it. And you have to monitor the print so you can get the filament changed. But the result is just as good as the more advanced methods we are buying now.

So all this new color changing tech is all about convenience in our lives really.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 
The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Online PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8825
  • Country: 00
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2088 on: February 18, 2025, 05:07:29 pm »
Quote
Did you know we don't even need all this advanced color changing technology to make a 3D print with two colors, or four, ...

Yes, indeed. But...

Quote
So all this new color changing tech is all about convenience in our lives really.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind that myself, but the original post to which I commented was complaining about the waste involved with this convenience. I merely pointed out that having multiple extruders would reduce the waste whilst still achieving some of the convenience. Sure, with this setup you get two filaments before having to revert to the old manual method, but then with the single-extruder multi-reel cabinet thing there is still a limit before having to do the same, just a higher one.
 

Offline xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7957
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2089 on: March 16, 2025, 12:53:53 am »
Well I changed my mind. I just ordered the Anycubic Kobra S1 Combo, which I won't get for a month or so. Early Bird price was $650.

https://store.anycubic.com/collections/fdm-printer/products/kobra-s1-combo

I received the Anycubic Kobra S1 Combo system yesterday, and I unpacked a lot of it last night. I got it up and running today.

Wow.

Having used an Ender 3 for 5 years I had no idea how much this technology has progressed. The thing is just fantastic. In fact the acceleration of the print head makes the table it's sitting on wobble so much I'm going to have to stabilize the table or get another one for it to sit on. It just moves so fast yet the prints are visibly better than what the Ender produces. So happy about moving on now!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 

Offline SiliconWizard

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17792
  • Country: fr
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #2090 on: May 09, 2025, 06:53:39 pm »
I'm increasingly considering buying one now. So far, always considered I didn't have enough use to justify it, and I would use 3D printing services occasionally when needed.
So, looking at this thread again. (GAS)
 
The following users thanked this post: xrunner, beanflying


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->