Author Topic: Creality Ender-3 V3 SE - a beginners first steps....  (Read 3417 times)

Offline BrumbyTopic starter

• Supporter
Creality Ender-3 V3 SE - a beginners first steps....
« on: February 02, 2024, 02:13:02 am »
Firstly, this printer is currently available from Jaycar for $AUD249 - with some provisos:
1. In-store purchase or pick-up
2. Offer ends 7th Feb 2024
3. Limit 2 per customer

I bought one of these for a couple of reasons, mainly derived from my expertise in the field - which is from watching Youtube channels such as Makers Muse, 3D Printing Nerd (and others):

a) The majority of reviews describe an excellent out-of-the-box experience - and I'm looking to print more than tinker ... especially right out of the gate.  (That might change down the track)
b) I'm a cheapskate frugal purchaser, so the price gave me the nudge to pull the trigger
c) It was 15 minutes to my nearest Jaycar
d) I had a project in mind.

To be honest, I acquired a Wanhao Duplicator i3 a couple of years ago, but was too time poor to go diving in with the potential of dealing with a steep learning curve.  (I did use it once ... as a paint drying oven.  I turned on the heated bed and placed an inverted cardboard box on top, with a recently painted metal bezel from my 3478A inside.  ;D )  As a result, it has just sat around gathering dust (which it has done very well).

It's early days yet, but assembly was very straightforward and I ran the levelling routine, which reported quite acceptable results.  Then, without any fiddling AT ALL, I printed the cat model that came on the included SD card using the white PLA filament supplied.  I then tried printing with black PLA I have had sitting around for a couple of years - in the open.  I expected problems, but it printed fine and my first inspection didn't notice anything ... but then I am a novice here.  There was a tiny amount of stringing that was a wispy as a spider web on both - but that disappeared as soon as I touched it.

Bottom line - IMHO - a happy out of the box experience.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 03:46:06 am by Brumby »

• Supporter
Re: Creality Ender-3 V3 SE - a beginners first steps....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 03:41:18 am »
My next step was to try to make a replacement fan for an air compressor.

The first challenge was to create it in the CAD software I had acquired some years ago - TurboCAD.  More than I really needed at the time, but I had a good deal on an upgrade.  The problem with this came from my extremely infrequent use.  There's just so many features to get a handle on, let alone optimising the process and avoiding the pitfalls, but I managed to put something together.

I then went to slice it - so I took the "safe" route and downloaded Creality's software called "Creality Print".  This looks like a streamlined interface which, while it may appear more friendly, would seem to be hiding the detailed settings off to one side.  I'm not always fond of these sanitised interfaces, but I'll see how that goes.

For the slice and print, I only did the top quarter as this would reveal the most about printing the actual blades themselves, whilst not using a lot of filament for a print that could fail.  Note - this is the first thing I have ever sliced.  The filament I used was, once again, that old black PLA, so less than ideal results were not unexpected.  The result (next to the original):

There were a few very minor blobs and removing the support material was a battle - BUT - for all the issues with the model, slicing and filament used, the printer itself performed excellently.

I am well pleased with my purchase.   :-+

Now I just need to polish up my skills in CAD and get a bit more familiar with slicer settings.  :palm:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 03:45:21 am by Brumby »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 01:45:13 pm »
I'm still using my very highly modded Ender 3 Pro. It barely resembles the original now, but it works very well. What you got has a lot of the mods I've done, but not all. I still prefer a glass bed, but that could be put on with no trouble. I looked on Creality's website and they still sell the Ender 3, who would buy it now?  :-DD

Do you know what firmware it's running? I downloaded all the available configurations for Marlin but I don't see any yet for that printer. Not to say you couldn't make one for that printer though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 05:20:15 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 05:00:01 pm »
Nice work!!

That fan blade is certainly a difficult item to print!!

That's a great value too!!

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 11:16:15 pm »
Do you know what firmware it's running?

It came with V 1.0.6 firmware.  Hardware build is CR4NS200320C13.

I'm not interested in custom firmware at this time.  I'm just enjoying the "dumb consumer" experience.  That might change down the track.

(I also did a benchy using the old black PLA.  Looks quite presentable!)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 11:40:06 pm by Brumby »

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 11:43:28 pm »
Perhaps a Voron machine is in my future.  The speed is attractive to be sure, but I really like the fact that it is NOT a bed slinger.  With bed slingers, the ever increasing mass of a moving component is not ideal for maintaining performance characteristics, especially if you start getting big with your printing.  There is also the risk of whipping tall prints off the print bed with fast and jerky movements.  With CoreXY, the only moving thing - of significance - is the print head and gantry ... and that mass doesn't change.

But, for now, I am quite a ways off from being so invested.  My Ender-3 V3 SE is quite sufficient ... at this time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 11:45:25 pm by Brumby »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 12:06:42 am »
Yea for sure. Compared to the fiddly manual bed leveling, bowden tube induced extruder inaccuracies, single Z axis screw, noisy stepper drivers, and so on of the Ender 3 I started with, that thing you got is a dream. I hope people starting out in this hobby get something like that.

Like I said, why on Earth does Creality still sell the old war horse Ender 3 at all.  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 01:29:32 am »
.... the fiddly manual bed leveling,
The manual bed levelling didn't scare me too much, but the auto levelling is soooooo much appreciated.

bowden tube induced extruder inaccuracies,
I never liked the bowden system.  For me it was direct drive from day 1.  If things have to slow down a little to accommodate that, then so be it.  For me, the trade-off between speed and accuracy leans very heavily on the accuracy side of the equation.

single Z axis screw,
I like to have mechanical constraints that are less reliant on single, critical components.  Just looking at a cantilever machine makes me cringe just a tad.

noisy stepper drivers,
Noisy steppers/drivers wasn't a big issue when I was thinking about machine choice, but having now used my V3 SE it in a convenient location, I am quite grateful for the low noise (without having to pull apart a new machine).

and so on of the Ender 3 I started with, that thing you got is a dream.
The challenges which you (and others) have conquered allowed for this evolution - and for that, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.  Starting out with a "dream" is what gave me the courage to jump at this time (along with the great price).  The unknown challenges of the Wanhao machine I acquired is what made me baulk each time I contemplated using it.

Certainly, the whole 3DP scene has evolved to a point where plug and play offerings at the bottom end of the market are not an unrealistic expectation, so I was glad the V3 SE exists.  The price and being right on my doorstep tipped me over the edge. (It didn't take much ;D )

I hope people starting out in this hobby get something like that.
I couldn't agree more.  This will take 3DP to a far bigger market.

Like I said, why on Earth does Creality still sell the old war horse Ender 3 at all.  :palm:
:-//
I have to wonder myself.  I have no good answers.

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2024, 01:49:58 am »
FYI.  I am not sponsored by Creality, Jaycar or anyone.

I am just reporting my experience.

(.... but if Creality wants to hit me up ...  :D )

My first benchy:

The following users thanked this post: Lindley

Offline Lindley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2024, 10:38:49 am »

I am just reporting my experience.

My first benchy:

Interesting post, we got our V2 a couple of years ago for the same money,   wish it had been this V3 !  would have saved having to add some of those extra like auto bed levelling etc.

Even CHEPs review was very complementary.   -

In the UK they are sellling it for 2/3 the price of the V3, so expect thats attractive to folk looking for a cheap entry point, though being unaware of its limitations against the slightly dearer V3.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2024, 12:16:35 pm »
In the UK they are sellling it for 2/3 the price of the V3, so expect thats attractive to folk looking for a cheap entry point, though being unaware of its limitations against the slightly dearer V3.

I'm extrapolating on the Ender 3 a little more in the hopes of alerting anyone reading this to pick one of Creality's better models ...

I hope people are not just looking at the cost but many will be.

The only major parts left of the Ender 3 Pro I originally got are the power supply and the main parts of the frame.  :-DD

Almost all else has been replaced / upgraded -

Main Board with silent stepper drivers
Touch screen display
Linear rails
Adhesive glass bed
Upgraded belts
Dual Z axis lead screws
Micro Swiss NG direct drive extruder
Octoprint with camera
LED lighting

Don't buy the older cheaper Ender 3 go for the newest models!

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2024, 12:41:25 pm »
I do need a light.  Working with a hand held torch (flashlight) is so last century.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2024, 12:54:22 pm »
I do need a light.  Working with a hand held torch (flashlight) is so last century.

I printed a holder for the LED strips you can buy and cut to length. Then mounted it at the top using the slots in the extrusion, with a power supply downstairs.

Maybe you can do this on yours?

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2024, 12:56:07 pm »
I was thinking more like print head illumination.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2024, 01:21:37 pm »

Well if you do it let me know what you did, I might do it also.

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2024, 01:26:06 pm »
Will do.

Offline Lindley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2024, 03:23:08 pm »

Don't buy the older cheaper Ender 3 go for the newest models!

Agree, but if like us when newbies looking at 3D printing, some info around,  though rather scattered and the low price can seem attractive.

Also expect they are selling quiet well in some other counties very cheaply and have still got lots of old stock to get rid of.

Offline Lindley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2024, 03:39:39 pm »

We also have a led strip above the Ender, plenty of spare power on the Enders 24v rail.
Also use the light while its printing as we have it in an outbuilding and use OctoPrint to send to jobs to and control the printer.  We also us it with a camera so we can keep an eye on the print and also monitor the enclosures temperature.

No idea if the V3 psu is the same as the V2 , but on ours the air outlet has been totally covered ?!  perhaps as its never at full power it runs cooler and they considered it did not need ventialtion ?
 We modified ours -

2001310-0

« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:41:36 pm by Lindley »

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2024, 11:45:16 pm »
The PSU is built into the base, where all the electronics reside.  There are several groups of holes for air flow.

The power connector is next to the red power switch which is just visible at the top left.

This is a MUCH better form for a consumer product.  Some of the cable management still has that "RepRap" feel, but once assembled and operational, I expect most people will forget about it.  The OCD among the community might still want to do drag chains, but, from what I see, that's not absolutely essential.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:51:24 pm by Brumby »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2024, 12:23:38 am »
Yea that's nice. On my Ender 3 I completely removed the 24V power supply, which they mounted on a vertical frame piece, to an area close to the printer that has a Rasp. Pi for Octoprint., several years ago. It just looked dorky the way they mounted it. But yours is a much more thought-out product.

Did you remove the bottom plate to check out the way the internal components are mounted and inspect the connections?

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2024, 12:49:20 am »
No.

Well, not yet, at least.

I was more interested in the product doing what I expected ... out of the box.  No fiddling that might raise questions about whether I did something to stuff something up.  I haven't even looked for one of those warranty stickers.

Edit:  I just checked - and I cannot see ANY warranty void type warnings anywhere on the machine!

Also, I read the warranty card and there are only two points I would suggest are of any relevance to the sort of thing about which we might have any real concern:

What Is Not Covered
CREALITY does not guarantee the service as a result of:
4. Malfunction or damage caused by personal retrofitting, or improper installation and usage
8. Malfunction or damage caused by the use of other brand parts or consumable

I read this as you are allowed to do these things and not void your warranty AS LONG AS these things did not cause the malfunction or damage.

This has the very strong taste of a practical implementation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the USA has had since 1975.

Sensible - I like it.

What I DID discover was the print head ribbon cable exited the chassis, passing over a sharp edge.  Since this cable does have movement (albeit almost negligible at this location) I will be fitting some sort of edge cover to protect the cable.  I'll see what tubing I can utilise, otherwise I'm sure I could 3D print something.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 01:18:01 am by Brumby »

Offline Lindley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2024, 04:19:20 pm »
Well on the earlier Enders, user modifications were almost mandatory to hardware and software !

Expect its all turned On in the V3 software but worth checking the overheating safety features are Enabled, not always the case on earlier models.

Once in position we hold our head cables etc up with some fishing line but many print their own cable protectors though not sure if any will fit your V3 ?

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2024, 04:12:31 am »
Haven't revisited the fan for a bit, so this is my first functional print is this adapter for a DeWalt vacuum I picked up as ex-display stock.

Fits really well and works great.

I had wondered about how strong such a part could be - but now I know how good a 2.5mm thick section in PLA can really be.

I'm glad I went the extra mile and paid for the pro level software that allows me to work with ACIS solids.  Made this exercise much more straightforward.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 04:38:54 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf