Products > 3D printing

Ender 3 Max with Creality's dual Z motor upgrade - Won't home consistently

<< < (2/2)

xrunner:

--- Quote from: dunkemhigh on January 14, 2022, 12:30:43 am ---For twin screw axis, wouldn't it be better (practically and technically) to have a belt drive from the primary screw (which has the stepper) to the secondary? Having independent motors is pretty much asking for issues, particularly when they are quarter-stepping or worse.

--- End quote ---

That's the upgrade I added to my Ender 3 Pro. Works perfect no problems.

GeraldM:

--- Quote from: xrunner on January 14, 2022, 12:59:41 am ---
--- Quote from: dunkemhigh on January 14, 2022, 12:30:43 am ---For twin screw axis, wouldn't it be better (practically and technically) to have a belt drive from the primary screw (which has the stepper) to the secondary? Having independent motors is pretty much asking for issues, particularly when they are quarter-stepping or worse.

--- End quote ---

That's the upgrade I added to my Ender 3 Pro. Works perfect no problems.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, everyone!

Sorry Xrunner - I'm not sure from your quote if you installed the upgrade with the belt or the twin motors.

For now, I'm going back to a single motor, (unplug the second, and remove the lead screw nut from the carriage), until I get things working.

xrunner:

--- Quote from: GeraldM on January 15, 2022, 10:05:28 pm ---
Thanks, everyone!

Sorry Xrunner - I'm not sure from your quote if you installed the upgrade with the belt or the twin motors.

For now, I'm going back to a single motor, (unplug the second, and remove the lead screw nut from the carriage), until I get things working.

--- End quote ---

Belt drive off the original single motor.

GeraldM:
I'll go that route as well, once I can get the parts.

My original thought was that the two motors would be better - but not if you have to re-level the X gantry every time you power off...

Ian.M:
Dual motors could work if there is provision to auto-level them on every powerup, or if the feed rates are so hobbled it never runs out of torque and looses steps.  There are various hardware specific ways to achieve auto-leveling short of independent stepper drivers and limit switches, but they atre all some level of kludgy and need firmware support.

One 'halfway house' pure hardware option would be dual motors + belt.  The belt is only there to prevent the motors getting more than two steps out of sync and to bias them back towards synced so doesn't have to be top quality or heavy duty and doesn't need a lot of tension.  The main drive forces are provided by the motors.  The kludgy bit would be getting them synced and the pully and tensioner adjusted so the motors aren't normally  fighting the belt at rest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version