Products > 3D printing

First 3D Printer (if I may, uh.. Kind of urgent!)

(1/7) > >>

balnazzar:
Hi guys. Today, I considered buying a 3D printer for the first time, since I quite often need to make replacement for broken plastic parts and/or manufacture small cases for electronics projects.

Now, I know that a proper purchase would be preceded by a deep investigation of 3d printing technologies, reading the reviews, etc. etc.
But the thing is that 3d printers are sold, right now, with massive deals due to the black friday, and these deals will end at midnight!

Apologies in advance for abusing your patience, but I'd need to know which kind of 3d printer would be ideal for my use case. I don't need to print toys or stuff that is aesthetically pleasurable. So, my targets are:

- Ease of use, little maintenance required
- Strong printing material (stuff that doesn't break)
- Precision (up to printing holes for LEDs and switches on a plastic box for electronics)
- No emission of harmful nanoparticles, if possible.

If not a brand/model, advice about a specific kind of 3d printer would be sufficient. Thanks!

Mechatrommer:
Elegoo Mars or Saturn

Swainster:
For strength and ease of use, I'd go with a filament printer, though your designs need to take into account the weak layer adhesion I.e. treat it like wood. For fine details then resin is the winner, however for dimensional accuracy I'd say FDM is better than resin, or maybe I'm just not as experienced with resin printing. For a beginner I'd definitely start with FDM.

That said, I just designed and printed some HP original style feet, and went with resin for the first print.

Prusa is generally considered to be the easiest to use filament printer. I started with a cheap and cheerful Creality Ender, and it's worked fine for me, though I do love to tinker.

I'd say potentially harmful emissions are unavoidable with 3D printing. Resin stinks and is generally quite hazardous, while FDM generally doesn't smell too bad unless you are printing something like ABS, but even so, hot plastic means nanoparticles are being emitted. Good ventilation is essential.

balnazzar:
Mh, I see. So, it'll be FDM.

I don't really know where to place it, since my basement is definitely un-ventilated. I'm seeing that some 3d printers come with hepa filters (Flashforge Adventurer 3 and 4), but I don't know how effective they are in containing nanoparticle emissions.

Mechatrommer:
you are overthinking it. nanoparticle will trigger your T-cell anyway makes you stronger. you rely too much on hepa, you'll stay weak :P i dont understand why people came to conclusion that FDM (0.3mm tolerance) is more accurate than MSLA (some 0.001mm tolerance)? i have both FDM and MSLA, and MSLA is way more dimension accurate than FDM... the only reason you dont want MSLA is if you want to print big. ps: dont print with PLA, you'll regret it in 3-5 years time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version