Author Topic: How to create this in Fusion360 for printing?  (Read 9009 times)

Offline jc101Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How to create this in Fusion360 for printing?
« on: July 06, 2023, 04:21:03 pm »
I can use Fusion 360 for general simple stuff, making enclosures and that type of thing.
But I have been asked by a friend to try and 3D print a bit of trim for a 50 year old aircraft cockpit. This is used as a simulator, so there are no issues with approvals etc.
The existing part is in a number of small pieces, the pic is from a parts catalogue. I have the dimensions from before it crumbled.  Apart from the odd shape, it also isn't flat when looked at from the side but curves gently.

I can sketch the top view fine, with all the appropriate features, but then how to get it into a smooth surface shape ~1.5mm thick with the appropriate curves etc. is giving me a headache.
Does anyone have any pointers as to where to start and the easiest way to recreate the part in Fusion 360?  Even a pointer to a suitable tutorial video would be good.  I've watched several byt they seem to be for more flowing shapes, like the backs of guitars, or tool handles etc.  Nothing quite as angular.  Overall the part is 85mm x 90mm.

edit just to say the part isn't available after a bit of searching around.

Offline Lindley

• Regular Contributor
Re: How to create this in Fusion360 for printing?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 05:19:13 pm »
Would either of these help  ?

The following users thanked this post: jc101

Offline jc101Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 07:49:54 pm »
That form face tool looks like it will work. Thanks for that.  Much tinkering still to do, but getting there, I think.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 04:33:29 am »
Trawl this YouTube channel he is a Rockstar when it comes to oddball surface modelling and Fusion more generally :-+

https://www.youtube.com/@Fusion360School
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 07:26:31 am »
Just for fun while I had a Beer  :popcorn: and snacks  >:D Feel free to download this and have a play

https://a360.co/3OUqDpC
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 07:28:35 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf