Author Topic: i am nuts a nutty question  (Read 10222 times)

Offline pcmadTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • module web design
i am nuts a nutty question
« on: August 19, 2022, 01:43:24 am »
I'm currently developing a 3D model to print out on a 3D printer and I'm wondering how do you measure hex nuts to go into the 3D printer model do you measure it from the point to point of each of the angles or do you measure it from the flat side to the opposite flat side
Signature removed by gnif - spam

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: i am nuts a nutty question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 01:46:57 am »
Measuring flat to flat is easier with your calipers, but you can do it either way depending on your modelling program.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 02:01:23 am »
Maybe this page will help -- for US sizes:

https://www.aftfasteners.com/finished-hex-nuts-dimensions-technical-information/

This says the diameter is "across the flats. It is also the size of wrench to use."

https://www.boltdepot.com/Fastener-Information/Nuts-Washers/Metric-Nut-Dimensions.aspx

The following users thanked this post: pcmad

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 02:31:07 am »
Depending on the application my preference has been to use knurl nuts in a design over trying to capture a nut in the plastic to fasten something.

Depending on if you want to stick standard nuts with cold fitting them you may also need to add 0.1-0.2mm in your model too. The knurl nuts have a similar 'fudge factor' but you will need to have a bit of a play with both until you get a number for your particular size and or printer.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 01:48:31 am »
Measure across flats, thats how it is done in datasheets where you buy nuts from. Also note that hex nuts have the corners of the hexagon somewhat rounded off, so a corner to corner measurement would end up giving too small a hexagon to encompass the actual nut if used. Recesses to take hex nuts should be shaped according to the hexagon with flats measured (or read of the datasheet for that nut type, they are standard for the M series metric thread sized nuts), then offset by 0.1 to 0.3mm to widen it. The amount of offsetting epending on printer accuracy and whether you want a tight fit (struggle to force the nut in) or a looser one (nut at risk of falling out until screw tightened in to it and maybe at risk of turning in the hex recess if sufficient torque is applied to the screw). 0.15mm to 0.2mm (added on each side of the flats, so 5mm across flats becomes a 5.3 to 5.4mm hole across flats) usually gives the bext balance of tolerance considerations.

Offline Warpspeed

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 04:43:03 am »
Open ended spanners are measured between flats, and so are the nuts.

Online EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 08:10:44 am »
No!

While in theory a hexagon can be measured either way, real world nuts will have rounded corners and any measure taken there will be inaccurate. You should measure across the flats and I would check all three ways on one nut and then check several more. Generally speaking, generic things like nuts are made in the billions and not to very great accuracy. They will vary. You probably want the largest measurement for a loose fit or an average or low number for a friction fit.

Measuring flat to flat is easier with your calipers, but you can do it either way depending on your modelling program.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 08:40:59 am »
For smaller sizes, it can be worth buying square nuts, which are more forgiving!   If you use inset hex nuts on anything that is going to be repeatedly tightened/loosened, the recess needs to be a very good close fit to the nut, otherwise the nut often jams and spins in the recess, wallowing it out till it can no longer grip the nut to turn it.  To get accurate enough recesses for hex nuts, you have to measure a significant sample of your nuts and calibrate your printer and filament used for slop and shrinkage, which can be a PITA.

Offline LeonMcguire

• apk mod app
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 07:36:30 am »
I'm currently developing a 3D model to print out on a 3D printer and I'm wondering how do you measure hex nuts to go into the 3D printer model do you measure it from the point to point of each of the angles or do you measure it from the flat side to the opposite flat side
When measuring a hex nut to create a 3D model for 3D printing, it's best to measure the distance across the flats (i.e., the opposite flat sides). This measurement will give you the true width of the hex nut, which is important for creating a properly fitting 3D printed part that will be compatible with the hex nut.

To measure across the flats of a hex nut, place a ruler or caliper across two opposite flat sides and measure the distance between them. Be sure to measure in millimeters or inches, depending on your preferred unit of measurement, and take accurate measurements to ensure that your 3D model will fit properly.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 07:44:43 am »
Here I am measuring from the points all of the time :P

Admittedly:
  • I use it for calculating clearance around a screw head or nut when installed inside a hole (ie counterbored) or clearance for nearby PCB components
  • I generate hexagons in my modelling software by generating a circled with 6 facets; it uses the radius for the outermost points.

Offline bonifacio

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 08:41:31 pm »
I know I'm a bit late, but why not just find the premade models of hex nuts/bolts and use that?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf