Products > 3D printing

Printing in ASA filament, fumes and fume extractors.

(1/3) > >>

Psi:
So I've only ever used PLA but I need to print in ASA for some outdoor stuff.
I know about print head temp and bed temp and needing an enclosure.
But i also know that ASA is a bit more dangerous because of the fumes when printing.

I'm wondering what I can do to address this.  I only really have one room to use for it and it's my main office/work room when i am most of the day.
I have been considering buying one of those soldering fume extractors that cost $500-1000 for the SMT/soldering rework that i also do. (The kind that is a box box on the floor with a filter inside and 1 or usually 2 air hose ports on the top.) So was wondering if that would also work for 3D printing.

I'm unsure if the fumes from ASA would be removed by such a filter or not.  Also i'm unsure how to combine both a box around the printer for thermal stability and also fume extraction. If I use the fume extractor hose above the print head then the box will have to pull in room air to replace it and that would make the 3D printer box pretty useless from a thermal perspective.

Any ideas?.

geggi1:
If you have a cabinet over your printer you can just ventilate the cabinet with a PC fan.
Use some kind of flexible duct and let the fan suck negative pressure inside the cabinet.
Just vent the fumes out through the window.

all_repair:
Or coat your PLA with UV shielding paint. 

Psi:

--- Quote from: all_repair on December 22, 2022, 09:10:43 am ---Or coat your PLA with UV shielding paint.

--- End quote ---

na, this is something that will also get covered in water as well.

Psi:

--- Quote from: geggi1 on December 22, 2022, 09:09:14 am ---If you have a cabinet over your printer you can just ventilate the cabinet with a PC fan.
Use some kind of flexible duct and let the fan suck negative pressure inside the cabinet.
Just vent the fumes out through the window.

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't venting air out the window and pulling in new air defeat the purpose of adding a cover to get stable temps inside the box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version