Author Topic: Recommendation for offline Windows 3D modeling program?  (Read 11272 times)

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommendation for offline Windows 3D modeling program?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2022, 09:07:11 pm »
For example, try making a rectangular solid and then round off two opposite corners so that the end is semi-circular, it can't be done, freecad cannot do the math to compute the two curves that need to touch each other in a tangent way. If you make the radius ever so slightly smaller so as to leave a small flat where the circular edges join it works. If you look at a cylinder you will see a line down it, this is a workaround.

Again OpenSCAD + BOSL2 for the win:
Code: [Select]
include <BOSL2/std.scad>
$fn=90; //use 90 line segments per circle even on small objects

cuboid([20,10,5], rounding=5, edges=[FWD+RIGHT, BACK+RIGHT]);  // Cuboid with semicircular rounded end

However its *ALL* flats, so maybe it isn't a fair apples-to apples comparison, though you can set $fn high enough (or $fs and $fa low enough) that curves are smooth enough for all practical purposes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:17:43 am by Ian.M »

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 11:51:24 pm »
If you are looking for tutorials, I found the videos from Joko Engineering Help to be very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7eiW2bt21YU6QEbly78kUgQCNEiDUwSH

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2022, 12:09:36 pm »
For example, try making a rectangular solid and then round off two opposite corners so that the end is semi-circular, it can't be done, freecad cannot do the math to compute the two curves that need to touch each other in a tangent way. If you make the radius ever so slightly smaller so as to leave a small flat where the circular edges join it works. If you look at a cylinder you will see a line down it, this is a workaround.

Again OpenSCAD + BOSL2 for the win:
Code: [Select]
include <BOSL2/std.scad>
$fn=90; //use 90 line segments per circle even on small objects

cuboid([20,10,5], rounding=5, edges=[FWD+RIGHT, BACK+RIGHT]);  // Cuboid with semicircular rounded end

However its *ALL* flats, so maybe it isn't a fair apples-to apples comparison, though you can set $fn high enough (or $fs and $fa low enough) that curves are smooth enough for all practical purposes.

With a proper GUI yes, sorry but command lines are so 80's, the world moved on. The fact that apparently it has a better engine but not gui says a lot about it.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 12:38:10 pm »
If you are looking for tutorials, I found the videos from Joko Engineering Help to be very useful.
   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7eiW2bt21YU6QEbly78kUgQCNEiDUwSH
my respect to FreeCAD seeing what they can do with it. i have it installed but just basically to convert to STEP format and coloring something i modelled in AutoCAD to import to Altium (heck what do you think any hobbiest can afford to pay their rental fee? you are highly delusional! ;)) but as anything else, one thing i will search to learn a new SW is their documentation in pdf, have it printed out and read slow and steady as i work with mouse and PC at the same time... and it seems FreeCAD has it... https://www.freecadweb.org/manual/a-freecad-manual.pdf so my more respect, even if not complete, such as how to loft and sweep, but its a good thing as starter, the rest maybe we can ask in their forum or progressively watch youtubes, etc. but as you may not yet know, i'm a generation that stucked in AutoCAD from school, switching to another paradigm such as parametric modelling will need a total relearn, the time luxury i dont have yet anymore.. maybe next time when i have abundant amount of time to relearn and my infinite and ever growing list of to do things emptied down. i have Inventor as well another new and modern diamond breed of CAD complete with its documentations and printed out into a very thick book, its a no go as well, due to time contraint... so you know? ymmv.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:40:03 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Brianmagen

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2022, 09:17:27 am »
I'm currently using FreeCad. Although the software interface is quite outdated, it's free and has a large community.
Blender is also a good option, it has a modern-looking and also, a very active community and lots of tutorial on Youtube
You can take a look at this list for some alternatives to Freecad and Blender: https://3dsage.com/best-free-3d-modeling-software-for-3d-printing/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:41:49 am by Brianmagen »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2022, 06:23:20 pm »
I'm confused about blender. It's for animation? what 3D modelling capabilities does it have?

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 10:05:55 pm »
I'm confused about blender. It's for animation? what 3D modelling capabilities does it have?

Kitchen sink intended to be used to make anything, supports a few different "styles" of modelling but is traditionally rooted in polyagonal modelling.  Everything you have seen in a video game (tank, gun, person, alien, map) is possible in Blender.  It might be worth skiming through a variety of videos on Blender to see what it's like, some show boring features whilst others showing slightly crazier uses.

All of its features are optional and there are many ways to achieve each task.  It's not as structured or strict as a stack of operations in a CAD tool, your modifications to your model are more immediate-mode (permanent) instead.  If you have only ever used stacks then that might scare you, don't let it, it's just different.

I've not used the animation features in several years and before that I only ever lightly touched animation features when using 3Dsmax/Gmax.  Not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:12:34 pm by Whales »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 07:55:28 pm »
well most 3D programs have history based modelling or the type you describe, each has it's advantage and disadvantage. I used Solid edge at my last job, I found the new fangled free hand mode a pain in the ass to design with as everything was so airy fairy and relied on memorizing things that were not explicit to control the model. It was far easier to work in history based modelling where you just drew what you wanted with no airy fairy crap. But once the design was done I would find it easier to make modifications by converting it to airy fairy mode, no that features were defined editing was easier and I could make edits that the history based method would not allow. If I needed another feature I would make it in history based mode and then convert to airy fairy once done.

The following users thanked this post: Whales

Offline LinuxHata

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2022, 08:12:22 am »
Also having a similar question.
Bought 3D resin printer from Amazon couple days ago, (Anycubic Photon M3) for my 9 year old daughter. She's all into design, drawing, sculpting and such art things (we printed Hatsune Miku as a 1st print). So is there any 3D modeling software for PC users of that age? (she's quite familiar with computer, uses photoshop and other apps freely)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2022, 09:04:45 am »

Blender has a couple of so called 'CAD' addons, they are not and blender will never be CAD. It is great at what it does well and is a bad compromise for CAD. There is a couple of muppets on youtube promoting it now as a CAD 'solution'  :palm:

Also having a similar question.
Bought 3D resin printer from Amazon couple days ago, (Anycubic Photon M3) for my 9 year old daughter. She's all into design, drawing, sculpting and such art things (we printed Hatsune Miku as a 1st print). So is there any 3D modeling software for PC users of that age? (she's quite familiar with computer, uses photoshop and other apps freely)

For really simple stuff and basic shapes then maybe Tinkercad just to get a feel for it. There is a few others but Tinkercad has been around for a while and has some good tutorials for it. A lot of the other offerings are going to be a really steep curve for kids (and even some adults :D ) Also Blokify (never used it but worth looking at)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 09:18:41 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2022, 07:33:54 pm »
I wish there was something in the same spirit of OpenSCAD, but supporting real curves, and able to export .STEP files. It doesn't look like OpenSCAD is going to get any of those features any time soon.

Offline LinuxHata

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2022, 08:50:30 am »
Checked some of these and come to conclusion that "good old" 3D Studio MAX is far far better :D

P.S. And if someone is new to 3D printing and thinks about SLA printer, I have a note for you - do not believe what manufacturers say  about "low odor formula". These things do stink, and they're definitely NOT bedroom/kids room/main room friendly. You will need dedicated area with good ventilation.

Offline Mr Transistor

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2022, 05:09:40 pm »
autocad and inventor. the diamond standard

AutoCad   $1865/year
Inventor   $2300/year

Need I say more.

Inventor is nice but pricey. I use Fusion 360 exclusively. I am grandfathered in on their original pricing so it only costs me $100/yr for a commercial license (currently $495/yr).

Offline cpuerror

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2022, 10:38:53 pm »
Its defunct and unsupported, and more of a beginner sw, but my preference remains 123D Design if you can find a download for it. It is freeware and runs offline.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2022, 07:50:21 am »
autocad and inventor. the diamond standard
AutoCad   $1865/year
Inventor   $2300/year
Need I say more.
Inventor is nice but pricey. I use Fusion 360 exclusively. I am grandfathered in on their original pricing so it only costs me $100/yr for a commercial license (currently $495/yr).
why you have to pay even $10/yr if all you do are some unions of boxes and then later 3d print for personal use? Legit fare only for legit company that risks being sued. I have a copy of fully functional inventor but i dont use it because i'm stucked with autocad notions.. for the longest time i was with R14 until recently that i need some fancy extrusion and morph functions that was not available.. the fact is.. they dont make it hard to get an illegal copy, consider yourself as their delegate to do later promotions, thats the most nobble thing to do imho.. :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2022, 02:03:59 pm »
they dont make it hard to get an illegal copy, consider yourself as their delegate to do later promotions, thats the most nobble thing to do imho.. :P

There was a time, back in the days of MS-DOS, that I felt fully justified using pirated versions of Autocad (for example) for fully private use; no professional, money making activities. But I feel differently today. Now I realize that by using any software I am indirectly supporting the software, or at least the community that uses it. With that in mind, I choose to support FreeCAD and their community because they support me in return. Autodesk has no interest on supporting me, so I choose to not support them, even indirectly, if there are good options.

Having said that, I don't require software to be free. I am willing to pay a fair price for a perpetual license (no subscriptions please.) In that spirit, I do make monetary donations to both FreeCAD and KiCad.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 02:09:15 pm by eugene »
90% of quoted statistics are fictional

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2022, 05:03:06 pm »
Autodesk has no interest on supporting me, so I choose to not support them, even indirectly, if there are good options.
"Free World" is not fully supporting me as well imho.. ie complete documentation and complex/pro/de facto features. i have the complete inventor book printed out enough for me to go to a cave and learn inventor plugged out totally off grid from outside world if i want to. i havent found such concept in free tools, i either have to find online youtubes or links from official sites... if you want to stay in Free World community forever, then thats fine, you can be happy to work around whats available for you. but if you have an ambitious plan to start a company, i think having the pro tool skill set ready, is advantageous after you have your legit license in hand, rather than to start relearning a thick book and new notions while doing business. its like picking side to a big guy without having to support them directly in term of money.. i also can have access to SolidWork if i want to, but i'm not picking that side, esp even if i have a big company to choose a legit license from.. and i hate to click support mail button anyway and try to wait few hours for them to reply, regardless to either paid or non paid tools. i just want the tool to work, and pro tool usually just works, for small quirks, the fixes can be found in the net anyway similar to free tool. ymmv.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:05:07 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2022, 07:34:32 am »
Autodesk has no interest on supporting me, so I choose to not support them, even indirectly, if there are good options.
"Free World" is not fully supporting me as well imho.. ie complete documentation and complex/pro/de facto features. i have the complete inventor book printed out enough for me to go to a cave and learn inventor plugged out totally off grid from outside world if i want to. i havent found such concept in free tools, i either have to find online youtubes or links from official sites... if you want to stay in Free World community forever, then thats fine, you can be happy to work around whats available for you. but if you have an ambitious plan to start a company, i think having the pro tool skill set ready, is advantageous after you have your legit license in hand, rather than to start relearning a thick book and new notions while doing business. its like picking side to a big guy without having to support them directly in term of money.. i also can have access to SolidWork if i want to, but i'm not picking that side, esp even if i have a big company to choose a legit license from.. and i hate to click support mail button anyway and try to wait few hours for them to reply, regardless to either paid or non paid tools. i just want the tool to work, and pro tool usually just works, for small quirks, the fixes can be found in the net anyway similar to free tool. ymmv.

Hmm, just a simple question, is FreeCAD able to delete, of your decomposition sdl lecroy front bezel, any curved objects??

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2022, 05:46:17 pm »
check reply #28 and earlier, there are lot of links to learn freecad, i just dont have the time.

Offline pcmad

• Regular Contributor
    • module web design
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2022, 11:49:01 pm »
design spark mechanical
Signature removed by gnif - spam

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf