Products > 3D printing

removing the BL touch from an ender 3

(1/6) > >>

Simon:
When I first got my printer they forgot to include the BL touch, I ran it regardless and it worked fine. Then the BL touch turned up and I dutifully installed it. My god what a piece of fucking shit! I have never had a print start flat on the bed since, it is absolutely useless - worse! I had no issues before, now that I used it things are bad.

How do I remove this garbage? there are so many firmware versions now available and most expect this little piece of shit and will not work without it, how do I remove it? I'm grown up enough to be able to level my own bed thanks.

sokoloff:
I've had good results from the BLTouch and the Creality version (CRTouch) on a couple of Ender 3's, first using Marlin and now using Klipper.

Once I got my head wrapped around Klipper, I haven't looked back and have been very happy with it. It has a learning curve, but it's not particularly steep, especially with a well-known/very-common printer like an Ender.

If you want to just stick with Marlin, I'd follow the same process you used to flash the BLTouch firmware onto it, just flashing a version that doesn't have touch support.

Simon:
what is marlin? I have an ender 3 v2, they make nothing clear. If you look around plenty of people complaining about the BL touch. I had no problems before installing it, since using it I have had all sorts of problems, it's hopeless.

xrunner:

--- Quote from: Simon on August 15, 2022, 08:41:53 pm ---When I first got my printer they forgot to include the BL touch, I ran it regardless and it worked fine. Then the BL touch turned up and I dutifully installed it. My god what a piece of fucking shit! I have never had a print start flat on the bed since, it is absolutely useless - worse! I had no issues before, now that I used it things are bad.

--- End quote ---

Well that's your experience but I (and many others) don't share it. You don't have it set up correctly or it has a fault. The BLtouch is the best single thing I have added to my printer since I got it. Works perfectly and I wouldn't ever be without one.

--- Quote ---How do I remove this garbage? there are so many firmware versions now available and most expect this little piece of shit and will not work without it, how do I remove it? I'm grown up enough to be able to level my own bed thanks.

--- End quote ---

The simplest thing to do is don't use it at all. Just level the bed manually. If you know how to install Marlin then you can just disable the BLtouch in Marlin configuration.h and install the firmware and the menus for BLtouch will be gone.

Microcheap:
Marlin is the firmware run by most of the 3D printers. Each vendor will tweak it for their machine but you can easily reconfigure, recompile and install a custom version to enable or disable many features in you printer.

I have another printer (Anycubic Mega S, now heavily modified) and I also didn't have a good result using a leveling probe.

The simplest way to disable the BLtouch is in your slicer software.

Assuming that you are using Cura, go to the machine settings and in the "star G code" box delete or comment out the line "M420 S1". If you followed the Ender-3 guide, you should have a "G28 G29" line instead, just remove the "G29" command.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version