Products > 3D printing

SketchUp Help

<< < (4/5) > >>

bostonman:
I got my hands on a Win7 laptop to tinker with and installed Fusion 360, however, I didn't realize it's cloud based. I'd rather something I can use without being connected to the Internet.

Looks like Solidworks doesn't offer a free version, so is TinkerCAD the next best?

I want software that is somewhat popular so I can gain knowledge using it. Obviously Solidworks is one of choice, but I'm guessing their trial version expires within a month or so.

thm_w:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-work-in-offline-mode-in-Fusion-360.html
"Note: Fusion 360 needs to reconnect to the servers every 2 weeks. Plan on returning to Online mode every 2 weeks."

Solidworks has a cheap edu edition, $100 or something. Or you can download the full thing for free from various torrent sites.

ve7xen:

--- Quote from: bostonman on March 20, 2022, 04:25:59 pm ---Looks like Solidworks doesn't offer a free version, so is TinkerCAD the next best?

--- End quote ---

FreeCAD is probably your best free not-internet-dependent option, IMO. It's pretty quirky and has some limitations (the 'topological naming problem' is a big annoyance), but also pretty powerful and has decent integration with KiCad through the KiCadStepUp addon.

bostonman:
I'll look, but is FreeCAD the one where it's manually typing code to get objects?

I tried one and was greatly disappointed. eMachine Shop has a one that's fairly cool, a bit basic as far as I can tell. As for Fusion, I became aware of their connecting to the Internet every two-weeks and stuff, but thought I could load it without being connected.

Unfortunately if I want to work remotely in my house (I don't have WiFi), I need an Internet connection. It's quite silly if you ask me because what if I want to spend a few hours in a coffee shop and not log onto their unsecured WiFi?

sleemanj:

--- Quote from: bostonman on March 22, 2022, 11:50:47 pm ---I'll look, but is FreeCAD the one where it's manually typing code to get objects?

--- End quote ---

No that is OpenSCAD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version