Author Topic: Water cooled extruder?  (Read 3336 times)

Offline HobGoblynTopic starter

• Supporter

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Water cooled extruder?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 01:47:10 am »
It's cool (no pun intended) but really necessary? The fan seems to work fine, what am I going to improve for $172? Do the prints improve? If so I'd like to see a before and after print quality comparison.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm »
The extruder is supposed to be hot. Cooling may be wanted for the transport, but the needs are not that extreme.
To get a good speed of the mechanics, a low weight helps - I would consider the water cooling a bit on the heavy side.
To improve on the temperature control a better placement of the heater and sensor and maybe more intelligent control would be the more more logical way to go.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 03:30:02 pm »
Watercooling is a must for high-temp filaments and printing sensitive filaments (e.g. PLA) in an enclosed chamber.

My Intamsys Pro 410 has a watercooled extruder heat break and it never had issues with filament jams in the extruder. For comparison, the Raise3D Pro2 would jam constantly with longer prints.

But if you don't have a printer in the 5-digit range, you don't need to worry about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf