Author Topic: A few newbie questions!  (Read 2855 times)

Offline TG91Topic starter

A few newbie questions!
« on: August 24, 2021, 11:18:44 am »
So I am currently making the move from Eagle to Altium Designer and maybe I'm missing something because it's not as easy to use as I thought it would be, probably because there are so many rules and options to configure as it's such a powerful piece of software. All of my questions relate to PCB layout.

1. What is the best way to set trace widths for each net? In eagle, I just done it on the fly while laying out the board but in Altium I have only the option of 0.254mm and cannot change it, is this set per net while doing the schematic or within each net in the PCB layout section?

2. Polygon pours don't seem to be working for me, I draw a polygon and assign it to a net but it doesn't fill or connect as shown in the screenshot. How do you manage polygon pours for power nets etc?

3. In 3D view the board is translucent or hollow looking, not a big deal just wondering why this is, the bottom of the board it green but the top is transparent looking.[/img]

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: A few newbie questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 12:50:08 pm »
1. What is the best way to set trace widths for each net?

Open the Rules & Constraints editor (Design.. Rules..) then select the Routing and Width rule. You get to set the minimum, preferred and maximum widths. When placing the track, press 3 to cycle through them. The cycle also includes the last custom value, so if you hit TAB and use the properties page to change it to whatever you want, that value will be part of the cycle.

In the Rules editor you can add a new rule for particular types of track. For instance, a 'power' net class. Then placing nets of that class will use this rule instead of the default.

but it doesn't fill or connect as shown in the screenshot.

The screenshot isn't telling us anything (except it doesn't work). Right click and there should be a 'Violations...' entry in the context menu. Select that and it will be more informative (albeit possibly obscure). Tell us what it says if it doesn't help you.

In 3D view the board is translucent or hollow looking

Open the View Configuration panel, select the View Options tab and check the transparency options group.

The following users thanked this post: TG91

Offline TG91Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 03:05:34 pm »
Thanks, all those problems are sorted now!

My next issue is dealing with components.

Say I want one resistor symbol and sizes 0201 through to 2512. So in my schematic library, I have one footprint and in my PCB library, I have 8 footprints. I then want a list of component values each with a combination of footprints. How is this achieved? Basically, I want to be able to have a list of resistors each with a certain value and footprint, how is this done in an integrated library? I can't see anyother way apart from duplicating the symbol for each value.

2. Should be quite a simple requirement but I cannot find a solution, how do you replace a component placed from manufacturer search with another component from manufacturer search?

Offline grrmachine

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 04:11:34 pm »

Say I want one resistor symbol and sizes 0201 through to 2512. So in my schematic library, I have one footprint and in my PCB library, I have 8 footprints. I then want a list of component values each with a combination of footprints. How is this achieved? Basically, I want to be able to have a list of resistors each with a certain value and footprint, how is this done in an integrated library? I can't see anyother way apart from duplicating the symbol for each value.

Yes, you can have multiple footprints for a symbol in a library. You can select the required footprint by selecting the component in the schematic editor, in the Properties panel find Parameters..Footprints.. and select the available footprint for that symbol.

2. Should be quite a simple requirement but I cannot find a solution, how do you replace a component placed from manufacturer search with another component from manufacturer search?
Set up alternate parts in the Item manager (Tools..Item Manager) and assign the parts.
OR
You can select the component to be replaced in the schematic editor, In the properties panel find General...Design Item ID.. click on the 3 dots and Replace Components window will appear, you can do it from there.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 07:35:16 pm »
Basically, I want to be able to have a list of resistors each with a certain value and footprint, how is this done in an integrated library? I can't see anyother way apart from duplicating the symbol for each value.

As you found, a schematic symbol can have multiple footprints associated with it. However, it can only have one value (that I'm aware) so you would need a duplicate schematic symbol for each value (but each symbol could have multiple footprints).

There are a couple of ways around this:

1. Use a generic symbol. If you don't need to tie it to a specific manufacturer or part number (which you won't if you have multiple footprints), just change the value when you place it. Not quite the same as having a list to pick from (unless you could a list of one as being a list!) but quick and simple. And you can have any value you can dream up.

2. Switch to dblib and then you can have multiple variations all using the same symbol. That would get you your list of resistors (say, E24 values) using the same resistor schematic symbol.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf