Author Topic: A method to export Altium schematics for use in LaTeX and other word processors  (Read 5084 times)

Offline qatTopic starter

• Contributor
I hate compressed formats for writing documentation. They take up a lot of space and they are not infinitely zoomable and look horrible and I just don't like it.

I've been looking for a way to export parts of Altium schematics to specifically LaTeX (Overleaf), but this also works for other word processors, except for Microsoft Word which already correctly interprets parts of Altium schematics pasted from the clipboard. There are a couple of ways to do it by manipulating PDF print settings etc. but they are all quite ineffective and take too long. The method I've found that is insanely quick and easy, and I thought I'd share since I've seen little information on this elsewhere.

Things that you need:
- Altium
- Inkscape (free and open-source ;D)

Steps:
1. Launch Inkscape and create a new document, settings don't really matter
2. In Inkscape, File > Export
3. In the Export pane that pops up, check "Export selected only"
4. In Altium, simple Ctrl + C whatever piece of schematic you want to use
5. Back in Inkscape, simply Ctrl + V (now you can modify the image if you like)
6. Select the schematic within Inkscape then in the bottom right, choose where you want to save your schematic and in what format.
7. Hit "Export" and you're done.

You can keep Inkscape open > copy a schematic in Altium > paste it in Inkscape > hit export (don't forget to change name) > delete it > repeat.

In LaTeX I use the following commands:

\usepackage{svg}                        % Use SVG images
    \svgsetup{inkscapelatex=false}      % Fix fonts and stuff

And:

\begin{figure}
    \centering
    \includesvg[width = 1 \textwidth]{graphics/diagrams/altium-schematic}
    \caption{asdf}
    \label{fig:myfig}
\end{figure}

After exporting to PDF, it is now in a lossless format, and the SVGs use only a few kilobytes of space.  :) :) :) :)

I hope someone finds this thread useful. I wish I found this information way back.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 10:09:07 pm by qat »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Kean, ANTALIFE, tomasA

Offline tomasA

This would of been immensely usefull during my undergrand thesis. At least now I can use it for work reports, thank you.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
copy paste into word, or powerpoint, or illustrator. Altium clipboard copy essentially is a WMF or EMF object ( vector) . so it can be pasted directly in tools that can handle WMF/EMF (like the above)
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
I have no problems embedding PDF output, though I don't know how well optimized it is (does it embed the whole PDF? I don't think so, but how much of the cropped sheet, perhaps? dunno..), and using the old fashioned
Code: [Select]
\includegraphics[page=2, trim=9.8in 6.25in 4.8in 3.5in, clip, scale=1.25, ext=pdf]{filename}isn't exactly fast to set up (as the trim command isn't exact to read off the source document itself).  Fine for few-off figures in short articles; probably quite annoying editing a whole thesis or book?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf