Author Topic: Altium 23 won't create split plane!? Help please!  (Read 574 times)

Offline thomasxTopic starter

• Contributor
Altium 23 won't create split plane!? Help please!
« on: January 21, 2024, 10:42:50 pm »
Hi

I am on Altium 23, a 4 layer stackup, signal-plane-plane-signal. All components laid out and time to get started defining split planes.

I select layer 2 and draw the lines to create a split plane. But no split plane is generated. I have tried a lot and tried to figure out why not, but I can't manage. What am I missing?

I tried both drawing a line from pullback to pullback and also to draw an isolated island in the middle of the layer, but everything to no avail.

I noticed that when in 3D mode, the components are shown, but the pcb laminate itself is does not show up. Could that be related. Did I miss something in board planning mode. I mean, the pullbacks are three, right where they should be.

Double clicking on a plane layer does nothing, either before or after I add a split line. It's like Altium doesn't recognize the layer as a plane. But it is set as a plane in the Layer Stack Manager.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction here?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 11:47:24 pm by thomasx »

Offline thomasxTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Altium 23 won't create split plane!? Help please!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 12:26:14 am »
I found the answer to my problem in this post

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/636010/362436

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 06:28:57 pm »
Plane layers are fairly limited and in most cases I think you're better off using a signal layer and placing polygons these days. 

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 09:31:17 pm »
Plane layers are fairly limited and in most cases I think you're better off using a signal layer and placing polygons these days.
The only problem with this approach is Altium's SI simulator only considers planes as references, so if you want to run SI sims (and get at least somewhat sensible results), you will have to use planes.

The following users thanked this post: ajb

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf