Author Topic: Altium ActiveBOM grouping ... Bug? User error?  (Read 481 times)

Offline smoothVTerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Altium ActiveBOM grouping ... Bug? User error?
« on: May 15, 2024, 03:24:26 pm »
How do I get Altium to ungroup my components with disparate parameters in ActiveBOM or regular BOM?  I've tried everything mentioned in similar posts here and other places on the web, the posts' prior solutions are not working for me and I cannot make sense of what Altium is trying to do here and why.  Logically, Altium should be able to make separate lines for capacitors with disparate parameters, for example:

C1,C3,C4                4.7uF 10V X7R 0603
C2,C5,C6                4.7uF 10V X7R 0402
C7,C10,C14            4.7uF 16V X7R 0402
C8,C9,C11,C12,C13 4.7uF 10V X5R 0805

etc etc

What I'm stuck with right now is:

No matter what I try to group by, the capacitors with disparate <anything> will still be grouped together by what I can only deduce is the 'Value' field.  For instance:

... or ...

I cannot find a combination of any "Group By" dropdown options to put all the 4.7uF with different voltage ratings, packages, footprints etc. on separate lines.  I believe I have exhausted all combinations.   In the first screenshot, I am not grouping by anything except designator. So it doesn't make sense that altium would group capacitors with different 'Package' or 'Voltage Rating' fields.  Similarly for the 2 other grouping options shown in the last 2 screen shots.

Further details:
My R and C libraries are totally generic ( C's for ceramic caps )  The "Manufacturer" and "Manufacturer P/N" fields are never populated, unless it is a special capacitor.  For ceramic C's, the only parameters that get populated are  Value, Package, Dielectric, Tolerance, Voltage Rating, Footprint.    The reason for this being is that we became tired of all the churn back-and-forth when a certain MPN is not available currently or got sunset, between us and the CM ... so, we always just say to use equivalent parts from any manufacturer and report back prior to assembly.  Therefore I cannot sort by unique part number here. It does not exist in any schematic. I do not know of a way around this at this time.  It would take ages to create new R/C libraries based on unique MPN's for every resistor in every tolerance from 0.05% - 1%    Such library work is beyond our scope.  We are a tiny office and I am one of two EE's.  There is always the option to populate a unique Manufacturer and Manufacturer P/N, however, in their fields, which all C's and R's contain.

We're still on Altium version 21.2.1 by the way.  Thanks for any advice!

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Altium ActiveBOM grouping ... Bug? User error?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 04:09:36 pm »
Selecting value, package, dielectric, voltage rating, and footprint doesn't get it?

Do you have separate components defined in your library for different values, dielectrics, etc, or are you using a single component and manually changing those parameters?  If the former, it may be helpful to assign your own internal part numbers to each item, and then use those for grouping.

I haven't messed with ActiveBOMs in a long time, but I do recall them being very clunky and obtuse.  Do you actually need to use the capabilities specific to ActiveBOMs, or do you just need a customized BOM?  Outjobs are a lot more flexible for the latter. 

My R and C libraries are totally generic ( C's for ceramic caps )  The "Manufacturer" and "Manufacturer P/N" fields are never populated, unless it is a special capacitor.  For ceramic C's, the only parameters that get populated are  Value, Package, Dielectric, Tolerance, Voltage Rating, Footprint.    The reason for this being is that we became tired of all the churn back-and-forth when a certain MPN is not available currently or got sunset, between us and the CM

One way to help solve this would be to include a list of acceptable MPNs in your library.  This is very easy to do with a dblib, which is what we do.  As a specific MPN goes EOL or whatever, it can be removed and a replacement added.  Then you can just update component parameters from the library before generating manufacturing outputs.

Offline smoothVTerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 04:18:42 pm »
Selecting package, dielectric doesn't get it. It seems to have no effect, as in my screenshots above in initial post.

Ceramic caps are a single component, named 'C'    You're correct: I'm using a single component and manually changing those parameters. When I place C, I choose the footprint I want to use and then update Value, Dielectric, Voltage Rating etc. from within the schematic.  My Components panel looks like:

I probably don't need the capabilities of an ActiveBOM ... but ... I like using it because opening up a document attached to the project is more convenient than creating using Report-->Bill of Materials every time.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 08:43:07 pm »
I assume you just need a unique field per group as none of the screenshots show one.

Try add a field or edit the MPN field to be: =Value+', '+Voltage', '+Footprint
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: smoothVTer

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 09:05:37 pm »
That 3 icons in the top left corner do the grouping.
I don't like that UI choice either.

The following users thanked this post: smoothVTer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf