Author Topic: Altium Co Designer  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Lyndsay_DoyleTopic starter

• Contributor
Altium Co Designer
« on: March 06, 2024, 01:46:29 am »
I need to export a stp file to my mech guy who uses CREO. The stp file from Altium is shite.  It does not contain any silk screen or mounting holes. Forget any copper.
I did, by trawling the forums such as this, managed to export a parasolid which CREO seemed to be able to work with.
Then saw that Altium has Co Designer. All the videos are slick and everything works just fine.
The problem with that marketing and sales video is that it does not tell you how to set all that up.
I found an install guide that shows how to get the Altium side of  it going but not the CREO. Sure, it shows the CREO bit installed, but it also says the mech guy has to have an Altium account.
It assumes on every level that you know Altium inside out. Every time Altium updates its completely different and drives me crazy.
Have you or anyone else set this Co Designer up?
What, in reality does my Mech guy have to do?
Any help gratefully received.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Altium Co Designer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 10:33:03 pm »
The STP file Altium exports does contain mounting holes. If it did not, either your settings were set to not include them, or there is a bug with the version you are using.

The information is here: https://www.altium.com/documentation/altium-codesigner/preparing-ptc-creo-for-codesign first google result.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 05:17:48 pm »
Download the plugin from altium website. Your mech engineer does not need to know altium. Inside altium you launch the MCAD collaboration and perform a push (single mouse click). The mech engineer will get a notification. he does a pull and done.
You need the plugin, that's all. yes your mech guy needs an altium  account but does NOT require a license !. The altium account links all users into a workspace.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline RiZsho

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 06:23:25 pm »
Download the plugin from altium website. Your mech engineer does not need to know altium. Inside altium you launch the MCAD collaboration and perform a push (single mouse click). The mech engineer will get a notification. he does a pull and done.
You need the plugin, that's all. yes your mech guy needs an altium  account but does NOT require a license !. The altium account links all users into a workspace.
From experience, it's enough to download the plugin from the Extensions and licenses page inside Altium. No need to even browse around the website.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf