Author Topic: Altium footprint 'Port Map' for database libraries?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline TabsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Altium footprint 'Port Map' for database libraries?
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:43:36 pm »
Hi All,

Anyone know how (or if its even possible) to specify the port map between a symbol and a footprint when creating a component from database library fields?

I would like to use a generic schematic symbol, eg a diode, and map it to several footprints (along with other parameter information from the database). This would allow me to map the 2-pin diode symbol to a 2-pin SOD323 or a 3-pin SOT23 package without having to create two versions of the symbol.

Altium seems to support this for Sim Models using the Sim Port Map -> [Sim Port Map] reserved parameter name but I cant find the equivalent for "[Footprint Port Map]" or ideally "[Footprint n Port Map]".

I don't understand why this isn't discussed in the documentation since a database library is meant to create components 'on the fly' by combining generic symbols and footprints with parameter information from the database. Looking at the database field mappings drop down list (when setting up the database connection), there doesn't appear to be a reserved parameter just for port map.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline TabsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Altium footprint 'Port Map' for database libraries?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:30:55 am »
Just talked to our support guy who says it's not possible.
Added an idea to altium community forum http://bugcrunch.live.altium.com/#Idea/4735

Vote up of you agree
Regards.
Tabs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf