Author Topic: Altium in Zenbook Duo Laptop  (Read 4030 times)

Offline maxpayneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Altium in Zenbook Duo Laptop
« on: September 22, 2021, 07:08:51 am »
Anyone is using Altium in Asus Zenbook duo series (dual screen) laptop ? Like to know how you setup Altium to take advantage of dual screen...

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Re: Altium in Zenbook Duo Laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 09:15:25 am »
Asus Zenbook duo series (dual screen) laptop

Looks like a nice gimmic to attract the school kids, so I assume your joking.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 02:13:38 pm »
Everything new is a gimmick. In this case I could see the lower screen being used for panels leaving the main screen free for drawing. And a modern laptop with the keyboard at the front at last!

Looks like a decent tool to me. I'd buy one if I had the dosh and needed a lappy.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 02:52:19 pm »
Everything new is a gimmick.
In modern consumer electronics, it often seems that way, but in general engineering that's not true of course.

In this case I could see the lower screen being used for panels leaving the main screen free for drawing.
With that tiny screen height, you'd spend your day scrolling up and down the panels.

And a modern laptop with the keyboard at the front at last!
Bring your own palm rest, unless you like typing while holding your hands in mid air.

Looks like a decent tool to me. I'd buy one if I had the dosh and needed a lappy.
Consumerism is wasteful but one upside is there is almost always something to suit everyone preferences, to the point it takes so long to make a selection that you've changed your mind about buying it!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 06:02:00 pm »
With that tiny screen height, you'd spend your day scrolling up and down the panels.

The panels spread out horizontally, don't they? In any case, it's only small vertically when compared to the horizontal resolution. The thing to bitch about, if you must, is the tiny dot pitch which makes this one for young eyes.

Bring your own palm rest, unless you like typing while holding your hands in mid air.

It is lower at the front than my normal keyboard. Again, if you must have something to bitch about then the flat profile or limited key travel is far more worthy.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 06:19:04 pm »
The panels spread out horizontally, don't they?
Erm, yeh, but it doesn't add information, just blank space. You need to scroll vertically to actually see more info. Do you use Altium?

The thing to bitch about, if you must, is the tiny dot pitch which makes this one for young eyes.
I think Altium on any laptop screen is for young eyes only.

Again, if you must have something to bitch about...
Silly ideas are always worth bitching about highlighting as such.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 06:40:03 pm »
You need to scroll vertically to actually see more info

You can get quite a lot in 1100 vertical pixels, and in 'normal' mode (as opposed to the normal 'compact' mode) it's two columns anyway. With 3840 horizontally you can have multiple usable panels simultaneously.

Silly ideas are always worth bitching about highlighting as such.

Sure, but you're banging on about non-issues. If you really really can't cope with a decent rest-less keyboard, it comes with a clip-on wrist rest just like any actual keyboard!

Do you use Altium?

Have you used a Zenbook? I'll bet that if you even looked at the thing you just didn't like the fancy web page. It may be a pile of poo in actuality, but you can't know that from where you are. Doesn't stop you spouting, though - perhaps you're just jealous.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 07:41:04 pm »
You need to scroll vertically to actually see more info
You can get quite a lot in 1100 vertical pixels, and in 'normal' mode (as opposed to the normal 'compact' mode) it's two columns anyway. With 3840 horizontally you can have multiple usable panels simultaneously.
I think a palette of icons in that display could work quite well. But Altium panels contain text that needs to be a readable size and there is quite some padding, so there would be lots of scrolling up and down. Adding more panels across the width of the display just multiplies the scrolling efforts accordingly.

Sure, but you're banging on about non-issues. If you really really can't cope with a decent rest-less keyboard, it comes with a clip-on wrist rest just like any actual keyboard!
I mentioned my dislike of the keyboard once. Is that 'banging on'?

Do you use Altium?
Have you used a Zenbook?
Got it - you don't use Altium. And, no.

I'll bet that if you even looked at the thing you just didn't like the fancy web page. It may be a pile of poo in actuality, but you can't know that from where you are.
I have a very positive impression of Asus gear in general, this laptop could be a great tool for graphic artists or such like. But for Altium work, call me a sceptic on this dual screen layout.

Doesn't stop you spouting, though
We have similar number of posts here, so are we both 'spouting' then?

perhaps you're just jealous.
Are you 8 years old?

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 11:53:34 pm »
Lappy looks neato, but my only warning with running ECAD/MCAD on laptops is that you will see throttling at heavier loads. As laptops will always have a harder time extracting heat from CPU/GPU compared to a desktop PC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 03:59:36 pm »
So I am using it for couple of hours. It was not a pleasant experience running Altium on it. Was not able to take advantage of the 2nd screen. When I dragged the message/pcb filter/sch filter/whatever window to the 2nd screen, those windows just disappeared. On a single monitor, this does not happen.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 05:10:05 pm »
those windows just disappeared

When do they disappear? When you drag onto the second screen, or when you drop them on the second screen, or something else?

FWIW, I have a two monitor setup and I can drag a panel (in this case 'snippets' because I don't want to screw with my panel settings!) onto the second monitor and it sits there just fine. But this is W7 and maybe W10 makes a difference.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 05:31:34 pm »
When I drag them to the 2nd screen and drop there.

It does not happen in my dual screen desktop and the dragged windows sits there in the 2nd screen just fine.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 05:57:11 pm »
I would guess it's a driver issue, then. That funky screen swapping isn't a standard Windows feature AFAIK, and perhaps Altium has triggered an edge case. Got a similar problem with ODBC drivers which work perfectly well except for one (fortunately non-critical) instance where the data is read.. differently.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 04:00:16 am »
Ya..I think so.... from the behavior, seems like the 2nd screen is just an ultra wide USB monitor panel fitted on the top. and all those Asus drivers for adding those extra features creating the problem here. I will try to see uninstalling the driver and just go with the default windows driver. Guessing it will behave just like dual monitor setup then ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf