Author Topic: Altium Keyboard Shortcut Issues?  (Read 21533 times)

Offline strobot

• Contributor
Altium Keyboard Shortcut Issues?
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:30:20 pm »
I'm having a couple issues with Altium shortcuts:

Seeing all the shortcuts?
Right now, I have View->Workspace Panels->Help->Shortcuts turned on to help me learn the various keyboard shortcuts.
When I go into Interactive Routing mode (P->T) in a PCB document, the Shortcuts panel shows the relevant shortcuts, but the cursor turns into a crosshair for placing the traces and when I try to mouse over the Shortcuts panel, it turns transparent and doesn't allow me to click anything in it.  There is a scrollbar in the Shortcuts panel that I would like to access so that I can see all the available shortcuts.  Is there any way to scroll the shortcuts panel while in Interactive Routing?

Rebind Interactive Routing Shortcuts?
The second issue is that some of the shortcuts in Interactive Routing only apply to keyboards with a numeric keypad.  For example: Next Layer and Previous Layer are bound to + and - on the numeric keypad.  I'd like to bind these to something different, so that I can access them easily on a laptop keyboard without a numeric keypad.  How do I go about doing this?
I read this blog post, but I can't find those commands when I click the Browse... button in the Edit Command dialog.
http://altiumpcbdesigner.blogspot.com/2012/11/custom-shortcut-keys.html

Switch Layer for Current Trace?
The "L" shortcut under Interactive Routing for Switch Layer for Current Trace doesn't seem to do anything.  I place part of a trace on the top layer, then press L, and all I hear is the bell error sound.  Nothing happens.  Whats the deal?  Top Layer and Bottom layer are enabled in the View Configurations layer manager.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
Re: Altium Keyboard Shortcut Issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:43:44 pm »
Remember Altium has a stack based entry system.
Say you're on the PCB and you hit P, T to place a trace.

You can always hit F1 to bring up a window with your relevant context sensitive hotkeys.

Esc, Tab, Enter are your friends.

Use numpad +/- keys to change layers while routing.
/ to create a 45degree aligned breakout via.
It will not cycle through inner planes unless they are defined as signal layers.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:45:11 pm »
1) since you are in routing mode any non-design window will automatically fade away if you approach. this is by design. you need to exit routing mode.  forget that shortcut window. just make sure your command status bar is on ( View - command status

2) get a keyboard with numpad  ! if you double-click on the main menu bar you will get an extra menu that says 'PCB shortcuts' and a window that lets you customize the stuff. please don;t tell me you are running this on a cramped little laptop ... this tools is designed to be run on a multi-monitor workstation. do yourself a favor and get two 1920x1080 monitors.... minimum ! and get a spacenavigator as well !

3) yes it does work .  point the mouse to a trace , hold down left mouse button then press L : it flicks the pointed to trace to the bottom layer that is what that command does. you can also do this on a selection of traces and components : make your selection : execute a M - S ( move selection )  , click for the origin then hit  L : it flicks your selection to the bottom layer.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »

/ : to create a 45degree aligned breakout via.

* : to do the same as / but continue routing on the new layer

the / * + - are some of the most common used shortcuts while routing. together with the spacebar to change the attack angle and shift-space to change the routing mode.

and shift-r to cycle through the various push modes.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline strobot

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:35:24 pm »
1) OK, pressing F1 is a good solution.  Thanks marshallh!  Command status is also a good tip, free_electron.

2) I have a Thinkpad W series laptop with 1920x1080 resolution in addition to a desktop workstation.  I'd like to be at least semi-productive when I'm not sitting at a workstation.  Even when working at a desktop computer, setting the default shortcuts for Next Layer and Previous layer, which are two of the most-used shortcuts, to be numpad-centric does not make any sense in terms of economy of motion and ergonomics.  The numpad is at the opposite end of the keyboard to all the other shortcuts associated with Interactive Routing and the rest of the program operation in general.  I checked out the PCB Shortcuts button you described, free_electron, but couldn't find any way to change the shortcut keys within the Interactive routing mode.  If there is no way to change them, I'll live, but its not ideal.

3) The L key functionality outside of Interactive Routing works as you described, free_electron - thanks!  What does L do while you're in Interactive Routing, though?  I can't get it to do anything except make a bell sound.
Here is a picture:  I am in Interactive Routing, I pressed tilde, which brings up the available options.  I can't get Switch Layer for Current Trace to do anything. 
Control-clicking on the available commands in an attempt to customize them doesn't work.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:07:32 pm by strobot »

Offline strobot

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 04:17:07 pm »
Numpad Shortcut Workaround

Using AutoHotkey, I'm able to bind
Mouse button back to Numpad +
Mouse button forward to Numpad -
when the Altium window is active using the following AutoHotkey.ahk script:
Code: [Select]
SetTitleMatchMode 1

XButton1::
  IfWinActive Altium Designer (13
    Send {NumpadAdd}
  else
    Send {XButton1}
return

XButton2::
  IfWinActive Altium Designer (13
    Send {NumpadSub}
  else
    Send {XButton2}
return

I'm happy with this solution.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:28:45 pm by strobot »

Offline WernerT

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
To create the shortcut to place a via and change layer while interactive routing: (in exchange of num+ and num-)

1. right click on main toolbar (just underneath menu bar)
2. click on "Customize..."
3. in the tab "Commands" (normally already open), click on the tab "NEW" at the bottom
4. in the 'Action' plane after "Process", click "Browse" and find and select : "PCB:SetCurrentLayer"
5. in the 'Action' plane after "Parameters" click on the dropdown and select : "LayerName = Next"
6. in the 'Shortcuts' plane, click in the region after 'Primary', and type the key, or combination you want to place a via and change to the next layer. (==> exchange of num+)

repeat the whole thing (step one to six) but in number 5 : "LayerName = Previous" and a different key in step 6. (==>exchange of num-)
Done!!

Offline Tabs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:22:20 pm »
Just came across this post because I had the same issue with scrolling the shortcuts panel.

I'm happy with some of the solutions listed here.

for those still interested I found the 'L' shortcut switches layers whilst in interactive routing mode when the source of the trace segment is a via. It will then cycles through the layers attached to the via as defined by the stack up.

Note: If you place a part of the trace then press 'L' it wont work because the point at which the trace was placed to (or committed) becomes the 'source' for the next segment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf