Author Topic: Altium moves AGAIN!  (Read 39925 times)

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Altium moves AGAIN!
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2014, 05:09:23 pm »
San Diego seems like a strange choice. Maybe just for the weather?

Well we have here Qualcomm, Broadcomm, Sony, HP, Intel, Microsfot (aka Nokia and the place I work for) to name some of the big companies.

Weather is a big plus.

Should I applied for a job at Altium ???  :-//
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:13:26 pm by DavidDLC »

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2014, 06:47:22 pm »
Mentor Graphics is used often in Defence circles.

Not for the hobbiest - first step is install a server....

That was what most Defense folks that I talked to in the CID and CID+ classes used. 

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2014, 08:50:21 pm »

They should have stayed in Tasmania  :)

I bet the constant spinning really made them dizzy.

(sorry) ;)

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 08:58:11 pm »
We though we could get plenty of cheap R&D programmers in China, but we discovered that was a myth. Oops.
chinese programmers have no loyalty. they work somewhere to learn then go across the street for 1$ an hour more where they pull the same stunt until they open their own shop...

hey, at this point, I am not aware of anyone that has company loyalty (other than guys who are freshers and just starting out).  soon, they all realize that we are 'resources' (meat popsicles) and that the company will let us go in a minute if they no longer see the profit in keeping us on.   been thru my share of layoffs when the company didn't make its numbers.  there is zero loyalty left with older employees who have been thru even 1 layoff.

this is not unique to china.  if some company offers me more money, THAT is what its about and I'll go in a minute, just like the company will let me go in a minute if it suits them.

this is not your grandfather's world anymore.  people are disposable (that's how companies think) and so loyalty does not exist anymore.  maybe in the mind of HR and 'younger players' but no one else.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2014, 10:23:47 pm »

They should have stayed in Tasmania  :)

I bet the constant spinning really made them dizzy.

(sorry) ;)

Dunno,it doesn't worry Alaskans!

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 03:58:50 am »
The question is "What design software were these defence contractors moving across to?"

They probably didn't. Simple stopped paying support and upgrading, and just stuck with an old "non-china" version.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 04:16:05 am »
The question is "What design software were these defence contractors moving across to?"

They probably didn't. Simple stopped paying support and upgrading, and just stuck with an old "non-china" version.

So that begs the question: Now that Altium is moving back to the USA, will the defence contractors once again upgrade & take the annual subscription .............. or does the software already do pretty much everything they want it do, in which case they won't be tempted to jump onto the upgrade/subscription merry-go-round for a second time?
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2014, 04:24:37 am »
So that begs the question: Now that Altium is moving back to the USA, will the defence contractors once again upgrade & take the annual subscription .............. or does the software already do pretty much everything they want it do, in which case they won't be tempted to jump onto the upgrade/subscription merry-go-round for a second time?

Yes, they will. Because big companies have annual budget for this kind of stuff. The issue when they were in China is that the company policy wouldn't allow them to deal with such a company, so they would have been forced to lock in an older version.

Offline CHexclaim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2014, 01:15:37 pm »

So that's now, unless I've forgotten something:
Tasmania -> Sydney -> Silicon Valley -> Sydney -> China (+Ukraine R&D) -> San Diego

Dave, on todays business model, do you think this will be their last relocation or will they keep with their hermit quest for survival?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2014, 01:33:25 pm »
Dave, on todays business model, do you think this will be their last relocation or will they keep with their hermit quest for survival?

Based on past history, you'd have to give them another two years, just like I did with China and was virtually spot-on. But China was just crazy from the get-go, they had no chance there.
But the old CEO who called ALL the shots is now gone for good, so maybe they won't chop and change as much. Certainly not in the product direction part, they are more focused now, and I expect that to only get better as they slowly drop all the stuff they know is useless.
They still have the huge empty building in Sydney (I think they wrote off the long lease, but I'm not entirely sure of the financials of that), their business can ultimately be run from anywhere, and there are some aussies still left there high up, so moving back to Oz is still a very distinct possibility in a few years.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:37:46 pm by EEVblog »

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2014, 02:13:41 am »
from anywhere, and there are some aussies still left there high up, so moving back to Oz is still a very distinct possibility in a few years.

I've heard that Altium's Ukraine software engineers have had a change of mind this past month & now all of them want to immigrate to either the USA or Australia on tomorrow's plane.

They have even offered Altium to do take the relocation without removal expenses .............. they are willing to leave with just their backpacks.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2014, 02:34:56 am »
I've heard that Altium's Ukraine software engineers have had a change of mind this past month & now all of them want to immigrate to either the USA or Australia on tomorrow's plane.
They have even offered Altium to do take the relocation without removal expenses .............. they are willing to leave with just their backpacks.

That wouldn't surprise me given the current situation. If you have a company that can get you out of there, even for a few years, well worth it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf