EDA > Altium Designer

Altium REJECTS takeover bid from Autodesk

<< < (26/35) > >>

nctnico:

--- Quote from: apurvdate on June 24, 2021, 06:42:40 am ---
--- Quote from: olkipukki on June 23, 2021, 07:55:47 am ---
Are you running OrCAD under Linux? :)

--- End quote ---

As per official documentation only Red Hat Enterprise & SUSE Linux Enterprise Server are supported (i.e. dedicated installer package is available for these). Never used those distros as I mostly use Debian based distros. So can't check if its PCB only or Capture & PCB both.

--- End quote ---
Offtopic: Only the PCB part runs on Linux (at least for version 17.2). And it runs fine on Debian. After all Linux is Linux; the installation comes with it's own version of all needed libraries so the chance you run into compatibility problems using a different Linux distribution is minimal. I'm doing all the PCB layout work with Allegro running on Linux.

olkipukki:

--- Quote from: apurvdate on June 24, 2021, 06:42:40 am ---As per official documentation only Red Hat Enterprise & SUSE Linux Enterprise Server are supported (i.e. dedicated installer package is available for these). Never used those distros as I mostly use Debian based distros. So can't check if its PCB only or Capture & PCB both.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: asmi on June 23, 2021, 07:42:32 pm ---I'm not, but I think nctnico mentioned that he is. I also remember seeing Linux packages along Windows ones in their download section.

--- End quote ---

OrCAD came from Windows (and DOS?) world and never run under Linux.
Cadence has stopped using 'original' OrCAD Layout and switched to cut down version of Allegro PCB Designer. Allegro packages used to run UNIXs, so obviously it can run on Linux today.

Conclusion: You cannot run OrCAD under Linux, but I'm happy to hear if I'm wrong :)

asmi:

--- Quote from: olkipukki on June 24, 2021, 07:26:22 am ---OrCAD came from Windows (and DOS?) world and never run under Linux.
Cadence has stopped using 'original' OrCAD Layout and switched to cut down version of Allegro PCB Designer. Allegro packages used to run UNIXs, so obviously it can run on Linux today.

Conclusion: You cannot run OrCAD under Linux, but I'm happy to hear if I'm wrong :)

--- End quote ---
Orcad is now just a name for a license level (four levels actually - OrCAD PCB Standard, Professional, and both of those with PSpice). Actual executable is allegro.exe. But it's still officially called OrCAD (and is sold as such), so, yeah, you can consider yourself proven wrong :)

And I think this is a great move by them, because it makes going up the license ladder a non-issue - you install a new license, you get access to new features. No reinstallation is required, no learning curve (except for new features obviously). This is something Altium should learn from them IMHO, and instead of creating and maintaining a whole bunch of products, just gate off certain features in lower-tier offerings. This way they only have a single code base to maintain, so there should be much less bugs, and it will be much cheaper too.

dunkemhigh:

--- Quote ---just gate off certain features in lower-tier offerings
--- End quote ---

Perhaps they've seen what we do with scopes that have that kind of tier gating.

rsjsouza:

--- Quote from: dunkemhigh on June 24, 2021, 08:21:40 pm ---
--- Quote ---just gate off certain features in lower-tier offerings
--- End quote ---

Perhaps they've seen what we do with scopes that have that kind of tier gating.

--- End quote ---
Exactly. This always happened with software.

It doesn't mean they will be able to curb piracy in any way, but they are free to try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version