Electronics > Altium Designer

Best way to handle 3D bodies on top/bot MECH layers?

<< < (2/2)

T3sl4co1l:
Hm, what do you have to do per part?

To be clear, if all your parts are top side, and already use 3D models on Mech 13 (or whatever you're standardized on), set as top side models and aligned relative to the board top: then, you don't have to do anything, they will automatically be placed on the respective layers when imported into the PCB.

You can query objects across the library but it's jankier than for example querying and inspecting objects across SchDocs.  In particular, you can only undo on the current part, not others / globally (and it will warn you as such: "the operation cannot be undone").  So, if you do need to edit things this way, save frequently or make copies, and check everything regularly to make sure you're doing the edits you think you are.

Tim

ajb:
In addition to setting component layer pairs, recent Altium versions also have meaningful layer types that can be assigned.  This is a little clunky because they've basically replaced the layer labels, which are really just for the user, with explicit types that change the way Altium handles layers.  The upshot is that you now need to have consistent layers assigned to be 3D body layers in both library footprints and in PCBDocs.  If there's a mismatch you can end up with different mechanical layers automatically getting assigned to be 3D body layers in your PcbDoc. 

thm_w:
"To me both methods have their "limits", with 1st one it's becomes tricky once you have components on both sides,"

Can you explain what issue you ran into? I use double side boards and can't recall any specific problems with exporting the 3D models, 3D DRC, etc.

ANTALIFE:

--- Quote from: thm_w on November 22, 2021, 09:52:25 pm ---"To me both methods have their "limits", with 1st one it's becomes tricky once you have components on both sides,"

Can you explain what issue you ran into? I use double side boards and can't recall any specific problems with exporting the 3D models, 3D DRC, etc.

--- End quote ---

So the 1st method becomes an "issue" once you have a double sided board and you need to make some PDF's for assembly house. If all of your component outlines are on MECH 12 then all of them overlap when you generate the PDF. 2nd method solved this, I just did not know how to use it properly

ANTALIFE:

--- Quote from: T3sl4co1l on November 22, 2021, 02:04:53 pm ---Hm, what do you have to do per part?

To be clear, if all your parts are top side, and already use 3D models on Mech 13 (or whatever you're standardized on), set as top side models and aligned relative to the board top: then, you don't have to do anything, they will automatically be placed on the respective layers when imported into the PCB.

You can query objects across the library but it's jankier than for example querying and inspecting objects across SchDocs.  In particular, you can only undo on the current part, not others / globally (and it will warn you as such: "the operation cannot be undone").  So, if you do need to edit things this way, save frequently or make copies, and check everything regularly to make sure you're doing the edits you think you are.

Tim

--- End quote ---

I want to use MECH 13/14 for top/bot 3D bodies, but all of my footprints use MECH 14 for something else... So will have to clean up the libraries a bit, thanks for reminding me of querying objects across whole PcbDoc library




--- Quote from: ajb on November 22, 2021, 04:11:59 pm ---In addition to setting component layer pairs, recent Altium versions also have meaningful layer types that can be assigned.  This is a little clunky because they've basically replaced the layer labels, which are really just for the user, with explicit types that change the way Altium handles layers.  The upshot is that you now need to have consistent layers assigned to be 3D body layers in both library footprints and in PCBDocs.  If there's a mismatch you can end up with different mechanical layers automatically getting assigned to be 3D body layers in your PcbDoc. 

--- End quote ---

Yup, will have to burn some time cleaning up all my PcbDoc libraries

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version