Author Topic: Component value on 3D view  (Read 3167 times)

Offline maxpayneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Component value on 3D view
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:52:14 am »
How to render resister or other components value in Altium 3d as shown below ?

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Component value on 3D view
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:01:44 am »
You need a separate footprint with 3D model, or a footprint not containing the 3D model.
Then you need to create a 3D model for all the different values, and include it either in the footprint or the PCBDoc file. I think it is a lot of work to do.
If I may suggest, rather write the package size, like 0603 or 0805 on it. I do that for bigger packages.

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:07:08 am »
You need a separate footprint with 3D model, or a footprint not containing the 3D model.
Then you need to create a 3D model for all the different values, and include it either in the footprint or the PCBDoc file. I think it is a lot of work to do.
If I may suggest, rather write the package size, like 0603 or 0805 on it. I do that for bigger packages.

+1

a lot of painkiller to do that  :-DD

i know that AD can't render copper layer on the generated 3D STEP files, am not sure if it can render texture on extruded 3D model. if it can you maybe able to automate that with a script that assign a texture file with the value on it to each component , script are pain in the ass too. So yeah not an easy task.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:18:14 am »

I was thinking if there is any automated process to do so that I am missing. Anyway your suggestion is good to write the size.

Is there any software where I can write text, extrude it, export as 3D step and import in Altium in order to put 3d text on components ?

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:20:37 am »

I was thinking if there is any automated process to do so that I am missing. Anyway your suggestion is good to write the size.

Is there any software where I can write text, extrude it, export as 3D step and import in Altium in order to put 3d text on components ?

if you choose to just put the size don't bother doing it yourself, most package are available with the size written and extruded on www.3dcontentcentral.com  :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:23:32 am »

if you choose to just put the size don't bother doing it yourself, most package are available with the size written and extruded on www.3dcontentcentral.com  :-+

Thanks Hamdi. But I prefer to have freedom so that I can write my own text :)

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 10:35:45 am »
BTW, In general, it doesn't make sense to do it. There is the 3 digit mark, the 4 digit mark and the EIA-96 mark, all will look different.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf