Author Topic: Difference between PnP Files and actual centers of components  (Read 1609 times)

Offline lmagalhaesTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi there,

I had an issue with the manufacturing of my latest PCB where the centers of the components on the pick and place files generated using Altium were different than the actual centers of the components. Since the components are really small and the pads are very close to each other, it lead to shorts. Here's a screenshot for reference:

As you can see, D1 is placed in position X = 0 and Y = 15. But, on the PnP file, it appears as X = 0 and Y = 15.225. Does anyone know how to correct this ?

Best regards,

Luís Magalhães

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Difference between PnP Files and actual centers of components
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 07:56:09 pm »
use REF and not center. and make sure your origin is set correctly in your library !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline lmagalhaesTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 02:19:47 pm »
The middle of the component is correctly set on the lib. Here's a screenshot:

So you're saying that because of the indication of the cathode, the center of the component (led + cathode indication) is different than the center of the LED ?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 04:21:27 pm »
REF is the reference you have set. Center is the center of the smallest rectangle that contains all pad centers. since your pads are different in size that 'center' will be offset.
so when generating the pick and place file select to use REF and not center coordinates.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf