Author Topic: Easy 0603 footprint in Altium  (Read 1428 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Easy 0603 footprint in Altium
« on: May 03, 2023, 08:05:06 pm »
Hi,
Is there any way to just make a 0603 footprint easily in Altium?......not using the editors etc...just putting two pads down and sizing them?
It seems not.
Its forcing me to have a pad template, its not letting me put the pad on the centrum..it tells me the centrum is not the centrum.
Is there any way to just use Altium like Eagle?....ie, intuitively, not having to go through the dialog box's?
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Easy 0603 footprint in Altium
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 08:58:41 pm »
What's the problem?  Loads of help files out there...

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Faringdon

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 09:15:50 pm »
Is this all the "progress" you have made in your new contract for a SMPS?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/altium/swiching-from-eagle-pro-to-altium-designer-ver-23-(latest)/msg4834184/#msg4834184

Get it done.  Do not try to develop a better footprint for a 603 component.  That is not what you were retained to do.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Faringdon

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 04:45:49 pm »
Hi,
Is there any way to just make a 0603 footprint easily in Altium?......not using the editors etc...just putting two pads down and sizing them?
It seems not.
Ummm... in your PCB library, create a new footprint, and then add pads to it. Use the Properties panel to set the dimensions.

Its forcing me to have a pad template
It is not.

its not letting me put the pad on the centrum..it tells me the centrum is not the centrum.
On the what? Centrum? That's not a term that occurs in Altium.

Is there any way to just use Altium like Eagle?....ie, intuitively, not having to go through the dialog box's?
Eagle is only "intuitive" because you're familiar with it. Altium is (for a pro app) quite user-friendly if you don't go into it expecting it to work exactly like a particular other program.

But why even make them by hand? You can use the two footprint wizards, or you can just download an existing footprint from the Manufacturer Part Search, or one of the universal library sources like SnapEDA. Or download the Celestial Altium Library (it's open source) and use those footprints: https://altiumlibrary.com/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 04:52:29 pm by tooki »

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 05:22:20 pm »
Thanks, though in Eagle, it has the marvellous feature of "Move on grid"....so if you have a pad you want to duplicate and move 1.27mm down or up.....you just set the grid to 1.27mm......and its copy paste......done!
Cant do this in Altium.(?)...have to mess about  with coordinate boxes.
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 05:24:33 pm »
Thanks, though in Eagle, it has the marvellous feature of "Move on grid"....so if you have a pad you want to duplicate and move 1.27mm down or up.....you just set the grid to 1.27mm......and its copy paste......done!

You know you can put, say, -1.27mm in the x or y and it will just move the item by that relative amount?

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 06:51:50 pm »

You know you can put, say, -1.27mm in the x or y and it will just move the item by that relative amount?
Just to be clear, they mean appending a relative distance. For example, if the current coordinate is 5.08mm, and you want to move it 1.27mm further, you enter “5.08+1.27” and it’ll do the math. You can even mix units if you enter them expressly, for example “100mil-1mm” would then parse to 1.54mm (or 60.63mil, depending on the default unit in use).

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf