Author Topic: How do I include a differential pair line in a bus structure?  (Read 13708 times)

Offline hkBattousaiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How do I include a differential pair line in a bus structure?
« on: January 28, 2017, 02:58:04 pm »
There are several sub circuit blocks in my project, whose some of the input/output ports communicated with buses. And, some of those buses include differential pairs.
I attached a minimal demo project to illustrate the problem.

When I compile this project, I get the following errors.

Code: [Select]
[Error] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Missing Negative Net for differential pair [Input3], positive net [Input3]
[Error] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Missing Negative Net for differential pair [Input4], positive net [Input4]
[Error] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Missing Negative Net for differential pair [NetP2_7], positive net [NetP2_7]
[Error] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Missing Negative Net for differential pair [NetP2_8], positive net [NetP2_8]
[Error] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Missing Negative Net for differential pair [NetP2_19], positive net [NetP2_19]
[Error] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Missing Negative Net for differential pair [NetP2_20], positive net [NetP2_20]
[Error] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Missing Negative Net for differential pair [Output1], positive net [Output1]
[Error] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Missing Negative Net for differential pair [Output2], positive net [Output2]

And, when I try to update the PCB document, I get the following error messages.

Number of nets in differential pair Input3 is 1 instead of 2
Number of nets in differential pair Input4 is 1 instead of 2
Number of nets in differential pair NetP2_7 is 1 instead of 2
Number of nets in differential pair NetP2_8 is 1 instead of 2
Number of nets in differential pair NetP2_19 is 1 instead of 2
Number of nets in differential pair NetP2_20 is 1 instead of 2
Number of nets in differential pair Output1 is 1 instead of 2
Number of nets in differential pair Output2 is 1 instead of 2

What is the proper way of putting differential pairs into buses in Altium Designer?

Top Sheet.SchDoc

Sub Sheet.SchDoc

Pcb.PcbDoc

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How do I include a differential pair line in a bus structure?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »
Differential nets require _P and _N suffixes for Altium to treat them as a differential pair.
I am available for freelance work.

Offline hkBattousaiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:44:22 pm »
I was able to pass differential pairs between sheet blocks by using harnesses instead of buses.

But, I still get these compiler warnings:

[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input1 has multiple names (Net Label Input1,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.1(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input2 has multiple names (Net Label Input2,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.2(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input3_N has multiple names (Net Label Input3_N,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.4(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input3_P has multiple names (Net Label Input3_P,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.3(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input5 has multiple names (Net Label Input5,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.5(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input6 has multiple names (Net Label Input6,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.6(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input7_N has multiple names (Net Label Input7_N,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.8(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input7_P has multiple names (Net Label Input7_P,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.7(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input9 has multiple names (Net Label Input9,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.9(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Input10 has multiple names (Net Label Input10,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Input.10(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output1_N has multiple names (Net Label Output1_N,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.2(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output1_P has multiple names (Net Label Output1_P,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.1(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output3 has multiple names (Net Label Output3,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.3(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output4 has multiple names (Net Label Output4,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.4(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output5 has multiple names (Net Label Output5,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.5(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output6 has multiple names (Net Label Output6,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.6(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output7 has multiple names (Net Label Output7,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.7(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output8 has multiple names (Net Label Output8,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.8(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output9_N has multiple names (Net Label Output9_N,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.10(Passive))
[Warning] Top Sheet.SchDoc Compiler Nets Wire Output9_P has multiple names (Net Label Output9_P,Sheet Entry Sub Sheet-Output.9(Passive))

Some of these warnings can be fixed by removing the unnecessary net labels. But, the net labels ending with "_P" and "_N" suffixes are required, so they will keep generating warning messages. Is there a way of fixing these warning messages without silencing them from the project options?

Top Sheet.SchDoc

Sub Sheet.SchDoc

Pcb.PcbDoc

I still want to learn it if there is a way of doing this buy using buses.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:12:18 pm »
A net that connects to a harness entry gets implicitely named HarnessName.EntryName, so for instance the net that connects to pin 1 on P1 would wind up named Input.1.  But then in your subsheet, you explicitly name that net Input1, hence the multiple names.  In the Project Options you'll find a few different options for net naming schemes that you can play with to affect how this gets resolved.
In the end, whether or not you permit multiple net names is up to you; it shouldn't cause any problems other than possible confusion when you go to lay out the PCB and the net name you see there may not be the one that you expect.  If you look at the schematics for ST's Discovery boards, for example, they have up to three or four names on each net.  It's ugly and annoying to read, but it does work.

If I were you, I would probably try defining the differential pair names in the harness entries, so instead of 1,2,3..., name them things like DP1_N, DP1_P, DP2_N, etc.  This also gives more clear indication of the functions of the nets within the harness.  (That's the  whole point of using Harnesses instead of Buses anyway!)  Then you should be able to leave off the explicit net names you have in the subsheet and let the port names define the harness names.  That should give you the suffixes you need without any redundant net names.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:13:49 pm by ajb »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:19:16 pm »
Buses are really buses in Altium, meaning that D1..D8 is a bus, but D1,D2,D3,CLK is not. Also, you can place as many input and output on a block, as you want. I never understood why people make a bus or a harness for something they only going to use once.

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 10:26:33 am »
Here is a patent for your reference. This maybe helpful to you. https://www.google.com/patents/US7312639

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf