Author Topic: How do you generate SMD/TH PCB footprints?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline ANTALIFETopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
How do you generate SMD/TH PCB footprints?
« on: May 06, 2021, 11:37:21 pm »
Hi All

I used to use PCB Library Expert (which is now called PCB Footprint Expert) to generate my PCB footprints for Altium, as it could also generate some really nice 3D STEP files. Well I guess all good/free things must come to an end, as recently they have dropped Altium support in the free version

So my question is, what do yous use to generate your SMD/TH footprints?

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: How do you generate SMD/TH PCB footprints?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:54:19 pm »
That's a bummer, I'd been using that as well and was pretty happy with its output.  To be honest I always found it surprising that they were willing to give it away, so not a great shock they decided to end it.
 The 'export a user script to build the footprint' thing was pretty clunky but I guess that's Altium's fault more than theirs.  Sure would be nice if their website would just list pricing somewhere, I wouldn't be opposed to paying a reasonable amount for a license, but having to request a quote is annoying.  I guess I might go back to using the built-in wizard; now that it generates 3D bodies it's more useful than it was, but I do recall it having other annoying limitations.  Guess it's a good time to take another look at it!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:58:39 pm by ajb »

Offline ANTALIFETopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 09:10:17 pm »
That's a bummer, I'd been using that as well and was pretty happy with its output.  To be honest I always found it surprising that they were willing to give it away, so not a great shock they decided to end it.
 The 'export a user script to build the footprint' thing was pretty clunky but I guess that's Altium's fault more than theirs.  Sure would be nice if their website would just list pricing somewhere, I wouldn't be opposed to paying a reasonable amount for a license, but having to request a quote is annoying.  I guess I might go back to using the built-in wizard; now that it generates 3D bodies it's more useful than it was, but I do recall it having other annoying limitations.  Guess it's a good time to take another look at it!

Yea I am thinking of just reverting to Altium's built in generator as well

Also if anyone is curious, the pricing for PCB Library/Footprint is 299USD/year for Altium component and 299USD/year for STEP generation. If you tell them this is for light/hobbyist use then they might give you a 50% discount, so Altium footprint + STEP generation for 299USD/year

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:24:52 pm »
Well I guess that answers that.  Maybe if I didn't already have a significant library built up, but I don't see needing to make enough IPC footprints in a year to justify paying $600 for a slightly easier-to-use tool.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 04:28:06 pm »
I use the PCB Library Expert POD, which can generate for Altium with 3D-Step.  I don't need that many parts, and I use them for things that, for me, it's quicker and easier to get the part from their POD database than make it.

I guess over the last couple of years it's cost me ~$100.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 03:19:25 pm »
I'm in the DIY camp: check the datasheet and draw the pads, etc, as specified. Mostly that just involves placing squares or circles at precise locations, and most of the effort is determining the centrepoint for a pad (adding up this dimension plus half of that one, etc).

It used to be tempting to use a tool or download someone elses version, but this way I know it is correct and the various layers are appropriately named and numbered, the lines are the proper width, etc. An issue with using a tool is that it sometimes doesn't cover everything, so you end up with a mix of stuff made by this tool, some made by that tool, and they are inconsistent in subtle ways. Also, you might decide that one tool is the definitive tool, then they go bust or price you out of their market and you're stuck with whatever they defined and which isn't compatible with your new definitive tool.

3D models are somewhat different. Those are nice but not critical to function - the thing won't break because you don't have a 3D model. My source of them is generally in this order:

1. Manufacturers website
2. Kicad library (this is an excellent source)
3. Google, probably ending at grabcad or similar.
4. Roll your own extrusion in the footprint editor
5. I'm pretty sure 1190 can be beaten in Spider Solitaire

The 3D model is useful not just for prettiness but to confirm that the footprint is more or less correct. But I would be reluctant to accept that when the model and footprint comes from the same source (unless it's the manufacturer).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf