Author Topic: How to copy symbol and footprint from one component to another?  (Read 436 times)

Offline thomasxTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi

I have a component, MOSFET transistor, that I want to place on the schematic. The component is found by the Manufacturer Parts Search, but there is no schematic symbol and no footprint.

Surely there is some way that I can easily copy symbol and footprint from another component that uses the same symbol and footprint into this one, how do I do that?

Thanks!

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: How to copy symbol and footprint from one component to another?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 09:14:08 pm »
Yes you can copy from another library or part. It could make more sense to find a part with symbols and footprint you want though.

For the SCH symbol, open an existing symbol, select all, copy, and paste it into your symbol.
For the PCB symbol, can copy it directly as the whole part, paste into your library.

I would look at some beginner tutorials.

https://www.altium.com/documentation/altium-designer/creating-schematic-symbol#creating-a-new-schematic-symbol

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline thomasxTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 11:18:41 am »
Hi

Thanks for your response!

I was more looking for a way to easily copy the symbol and footprint from one existing component into another component that is found in the Manufacturer Part Search but that is lacking symbol and footprint and therefore cannot be Placed into the schematic.
I guess that possibility just doesn't exist. I'm a bit surprised, to me it seems like it would be something that happens all the time. But maybe I am missing something else here ;)

I always try to find components that already exist with symbol and footprint, but sometimes it's just not possible.

I guess the question I should ask is - When I find a part in the Manufacturer Part Search that I want to place, but that lacks a symbol, how do I give it a symbol and make it placeable, or how do I connect it to a symbol so it gets placeable. I guess the fact that I don't know how to accomplish this, I also don't quite know how to formulate my question. But I hope I made myself understandable. ;)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:23:59 am by thomasx »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 11:37:35 am »
What version of altium are you using, answers will be quite different if you are on 14 vs 24 etc..

When I find a part in the Manufacturer Part Search that I want to place, but that lacks a symbol, how do I give it a symbol and make it placeable

When you say Manufacturer Part Search are you talking about the search system inside altium that searches through the included parts library?

Also, when you say you "find a part", do you mean you find a footprint you're after and then need to make a symbol for the chip you want to use?

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf