Author Topic: How to filter components based on 3D height in PCB filter  (Read 229 times)

Online TGPCBTopic starter

How to filter components based on 3D height in PCB filter
« on: January 25, 2024, 04:07:26 pm »
I am trying to select all components in my PCB if their height is over 1.25mm so that I can export a Parasolid with only those components in the model.

I am using this filter, which does highlight all 3D components with heights over 1.25, but this is selecting the 3D bodies rather than components:
((ModelZ > 1.25) or (OverallHeight > 1.25))

How can I select components which meet these parameters rather than the 3D bodies?

This could be an XY problem as all I need to do is export a parasolid with that includes all components over a certain height. At the moment I am only able to export the model with all components or none at all.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: How to filter components based on 3D height in PCB filter
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 05:15:56 pm »
I don't think ModelZ will do what you want -- that seems to return the Z position of the model's origin, aka its "Standoff Height", not its overall height (unless all of your step files have their origin at their very top, which would be weird).

Altium queries in general do not make it easy to link a component to its primitives or select a component based on the properties of its primitives.  A very crude way of getting what you want would be to create a component height rule for 1.25mm, run a design rule check for that rule only, and then use the "HasViolations" query filter. 

I'm not aware of a good way to filter which solid models get exported, do you have that working?  I would love a way to easily filter most component bodies out of our 3D exports so they are less problematic in MCAD.  In the past I've done that by creating an assembly variant that has all but the most mechanically important components DNIed, but that's a pain to deal with.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf