Author Topic: How to place a function defined curve in Altium designer?  (Read 920 times)

Offline ViliusTopic starter

How to place a function defined curve in Altium designer?
« on: January 16, 2024, 03:57:16 pm »
Hi,

I am starting a new project of complex log spiral type antenna in Altium. Technical details of the project does not matter this time. I was wondering how can you place a curve that has been defined according to the mathematical formula? I need some crazy curves in Altium this time, luckily, I know the exact mathematical expression to follow, but doing this as a manual polygon pour with hundreds if not thousands of points is simply not an option this time. Worst case, I could possibly import it as a monochrome picture with 1:1 ratio and make the polygon pour out of it, but I am strict in precision as well. There has to be a way to do this properly in Altium. Any ideas or experiences? Thank you in advance.

The curves I am after: (in attachments)

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
Re: How to place a function defined curve in Altium designer?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 03:31:58 am »
I think the best way would be to export the curve as a DXF and then import that into the PCB. During import you will be able to select the layer you want it to go on, plus the line/track width.

Offline dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 04:06:57 am »
I´m also in need for something like that to draw parameterizable PCB inductors. I think the only way is to draw them using the pascal commands. When I download some PCB footprints (I think from Ultra Librarian but maybe Samacsys or SnapEDA) it downloads a pascal source code that draws lines and holes to make the footprint. I´d like to find a documentation for these functions but maybe reverse engineering a footprint like that is all that´s needed.

Offline dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 04:44:33 am »
Just found this:

https://github.com/johannesbook/draw-planar-inductor/tree/master

It´s far from what I need to do but it´s a start...

Offline jmarkwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 04:46:33 pm »
Hi,

I am starting a new project of complex log spiral type antenna in Altium. Technical details of the project does not matter this time. I was wondering how can you place a curve that has been defined according to the mathematical formula? I need some crazy curves in Altium this time, luckily, I know the exact mathematical expression to follow, but doing this as a manual polygon pour with hundreds if not thousands of points is simply not an option this time. Worst case, I could possibly import it as a monochrome picture with 1:1 ratio and make the polygon pour out of it, but I am strict in precision as well. There has to be a way to do this properly in Altium. Any ideas or experiences? Thank you in advance.

The curves I am after: (in attachments)

That's a very complex shape. I wouldn't expect you could draw anything like that directly in Altium.

As Antalife suggests draw it in some mechanical CAD package then export it to DXF, then import the DXF into Altium.

Alternatively, find some editor software package that can import the PNG file you have, then resize and edit to your hearts content, then export to DXF, then import the DXF into Altium.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 04:48:07 pm by jmarkwolf »

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 12:43:26 am »
It may be possible to use some open source SVG tools and then convert to DWG and then import.  That probably opens up some options in mathematical graphics tools that may allow you to easily translate your requirements.  Would likely be worth doing some validation, perhaps loop back (SVG -> DWG -> PcbDoc -> DWG -> SVG) and comparing.

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 02:30:20 am »
There are several scripting languages available for Altium.  You might look into that. 

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 03:56:30 am »
excel. create table with start and end points for vectors. copy and paste in the pcb list panel as tracks
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf