Author Topic: How to use Altium at home aswell as work  (Read 1859 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
How to use Altium at home aswell as work
« on: July 18, 2023, 02:17:56 pm »
Hi,
I am using Altium ver23 at work..it is logged in on my work computer, but shows as my boss name on the license.
Is there any way i can download Altium and do work at home?
The work PC is a desktop and cannot be taken home.
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline trevwhite

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How to use Altium at home aswell as work
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 02:39:11 pm »
I believe you can install it on more than one computer as long as you only use it on one computer at a time?

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 04:09:41 pm »
Depends on the license type you have.  If you have floating licenses, you can install it wherever and check out a license via the internet from anywhere.  If you have server-based licenses, then you would need to be able to connect to the license server (VPN back the office, probably).  If you have fixed licenses for each machine, then your only option is to remote in to the machine where the license is installed.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 04:40:20 pm »
Thanks, It used to be a standalone licence but i dont know if it still is.
Altium were offereing to do an on-demand license, i dont know if we took this up.

Either way, i have a document with a username and password, so i guess i can just download altium at home and try and use it with this username and password?
The username is the gaffers email address.

Aaaah...just seen on the license page, at the top, it says "standalone-offline"...so i guess i cant use this at home?...unless i have  some way of VPN'ing into the companys server?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 04:43:35 pm by Faringdon »

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 05:34:03 pm »
Is there an option to download/create a licence file?  There should be an option to save the Standalone licence file.  You can then add that licence file for the laptop version.

I've just done this today.  The Office PC runs Altium, but I have a need to take a design away to a site and potentially tweak it whilst out and about.  I have the project in Git (my own Git server), so I pushed the development branch up.  Installed Altium on the laptop* and cloned the project down to it.  I can make changes and push them back up to Git, then pull them down again on the PC when back.  I have a standalone permanent licence, which is On-Demand, so I can move it between machines.

* The laptop is an Apple Silicon M1 Max MacBook Pro.  I have the Arm version of Windows 11 installed via VMware Fusion, and Altium has gone into that.  The Arm Windows has an x86 -> Arm emulator, so you can install Intel apps OK.  Have to say, it's usable, which was a pleasant surprise.  Previously I've just used remote desktop onto the Office PC via a VPN, but I thought I'd try this route.

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 07:57:15 pm »
Either way, i have a document with a username and password, so i guess i can just download altium at home and try and use it with this username and password?

I think it's generally considered poor form to post the details about how your employer is pirating software on public forums.  :palm:

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 08:43:32 pm »

I think it's generally considered poor form to post the details about how your employer is pirating software on public forums.  :palm:

Nothing you've quoted implies pirating at all.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir, Faringdon

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 09:27:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure that most licenses based on per-user logins disallow sharing the same login credentials to avoid buying multiple seats, which is what it sounds like is happening here. Maybe Altium is some exception to this, but it's not clear at all that what's suggested is allowed (even aside from being a bad idea for various practical reasons.)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 10:27:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure that most licenses based on per-user logins disallow sharing the same login credentials to avoid buying multiple seats, which is what it sounds like is happening here. Maybe Altium is some exception to this, but it's not clear at all that what's suggested is allowed (even aside from being a bad idea for various practical reasons.)

That is not "pirating". If it is the single-site license: "This license is perfect for individuals who want to work from a dedicated PC at a single site. According to the EULA, You can also install this license on a secondary machine for temporary use.".

and who is "you" here, IMO it is the company, not the actual user, as the company is buying the license. Of course I could be wrong.

For each License to a Product purchased by You You may install and use only a single copy thereof at any given time, and said copy may be used only by You; provided, however, that if You have licensed the Licensed Materials for use on a single computer: a) you may install a second copy of the Licensed Materials on a second computer solely for use in connection with, and governed by, the License granted herein, so long as such copy is never used simultaneously with the original copy;

This EULA allows persons hired as contractors (so long as such contractors have entered into an appropriate form of a confidentiality agreement with You that extends to Altium’s confidential information) by You to use the Licensed Materials as if they were Your employees. At no time shall You permit the number of persons that may access and/or use the Licensed Materials to exceed the number of persons for whom You have licensed the same, whether employees or contractors.

https://www.altium.com/eula/pdfs/altium_license_agreement_en.pdf
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 12:25:39 am »
Yeah, you're buying a seat, not a license for a named user. As long as that seat is not used more than once simultaneously, you're good.
I believe Altium also restricts geographically, so you do need to keep the seat within the part of the world that it is authorised for.

Offline mengfei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 01:10:01 am »
we use Ivanti Secure Access so that we can access out company server wherever we are.

Don't you have a secure company vpn that you can use?
AD has a strange way of licensing when they say it's region specific, our HK collogues can't use their AD when they come to the mainland when in fact HK belongs to the Middle Kingdom already, oh well  :-//

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 09:24:13 am »
Thanks....there is a feature  in Altium license page  saying "save standalone license file"...so i have clicked that, and a .alf file downloaded, so i will try to use that ..presumably ".alf" is an altium license file"?

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 09:29:15 am »
Thanks....there is a feature  in Altium license page  saying "save standalone license file"...so i have clicked that, and a .alf file downloaded, so i will try to use that ..presumably ".alf" is an altium license file"?
It is indeed the licence file you can load on another machine.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 02:17:26 pm »
The person who actually registered the license can add company users via "Company Dashboard -> Users & Groups" interface on Altium website, which allows multiple users to share the same license (not at the same time of course), and each of them can login using their own username/password. It's also possible to set it up so that anyone creating an altium account with a specific corporate email domain will be automatically added into the company group and have license(s) made available.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Faringdon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf