Author Topic: Interactive routing  (Read 1427 times)

Online temperanceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Interactive routing
« on: June 06, 2019, 10:17:39 pm »
Hi,

I'm experiencing some troubles with the interactive routing tools in AD.

1. You can create a rule on how SMD PAD's are being entered. (Design Rules>SMT>SMD Entry) This works for a new trace being routed. However, this rule is ignored for traces which are being pushed while routing. Troublesome because it generates a lot of DRC's.

2. The rule SMT (SMD) rule is also ignored when dragging traces.

3. AD19 has this new feature to automatically re-route traces when a component is being moved. Also in this case the SMT rule is ignored.

Can someone enlighten me on how to force AD to follow the rules?

4. When traces are being pushed, and you change your mind, the pushed traces don't return to this original position if they are being pushed beyond some "imaginary" boundary.
Can one force AD to move traces back into their original position?

Regards, Temperance
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:23:26 pm by temperance »
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Interactive routing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:57:56 am »
Welcome to the incoherent side of Altium?...

I would guess these rules are more informational (i.e., run a batch DRC check to find cases), and for autorouting.

You could always use route for changing traces, never dragging them.  I guess this is the PADS way, and some people are simply used to that.  (Bothers the hell out of me though.. and probably you too?)

Personally, I don't worry about SMD entry, and there are other constraints that matter IRL but which Altium doesn't have rules for (in particular, thermal balance / spokes for small chips), so I do it by inspection anyway.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 01:11:37 am »
They say it's a poor carpenter who blames his tools, but IME when something isn't working in Altium it's 50/50 whether it's user error or a software 'limitation'.  There are a number of issues with interactive routing, so in this case it's probably not anything you're doing wrong.  The propensity for 'helpful' features like pushing tracks and dragging components to fuck things up is well known. 

Is the pad entry rule new?  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they added a rule and just neglected to make sure that all of the routing functions respect it.

Online temperanceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:45:50 pm »
I have no idea if this "pad entry rule" is new. The best solution is to not use this "feature" for now.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf