Author Topic: Migrating to cloud + subscription  (Read 4724 times)

Offline PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Migrating to cloud + subscription
« on: March 17, 2022, 09:25:54 am »
Is this the future for Altium? I note that generics require an A365 account so are only accessible when cloud connected, and from there it's a short hop to ensuring continued subscriptions. I can't see any technical reason for that, so I am wondering if this is a portent of Altium following Autocad in protecting revenue streams.

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: Migrating to cloud + subscription
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 07:31:17 pm »
It's not just about money.

"They" want to keep the threshold of entry very low for stepping into this cloud stuff, but low hanging clouds is nothing but mist to blind you.

They take the opportunity to take your data as a hostage to be able to force you into whatever whim they are going to think up at some undisclosed time into the future.
Now they're just nibbling at your toes and finger tips.
In a few years they'll bite off an arm or a leg.

For me it's very simple.
I am never ever going to give into stuff like that, and am not afraid to support the good stuff.
I've donated more to open source projects then I've ever paid for commercial software.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 08:52:12 pm »
Depends what they are doing in the cloud.
Anything having to access the cloud will always be slower than the local PC.

A lot of the free stuff has matured now so why buy or rent ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 09:08:50 pm »
Now they're just nibbling at your toes and finger tips.

Dang. I thought that was just age-related circulation issues.

Depends what they are doing in the cloud.

Well, yes. I am not anti-cloud as a matter of course, just that I see it as a sub-feature rather than a necessity. I can see that hosting PCB data in the cloud makes it a lot easier to collaborate but the data shouldn't be a hostage to the cloud. And if I'm not collaborating then there's no reason to use it. Which is why I asked about the generics - that's a cloud-only feature and I can't see a reason for that.

A lot of the free stuff has matured now so why buy or rent ?

Well I ain't going to rent, so that's a third of your question sorted :)

Free stuff is OK but relies on someone implementing some feature or fix because they feel like it. A commercial enterprise may not feel like it either, but at least you can actually withhold money (or not spend it) to let them know how you feel about it. Also, currently, the free stuff isn't up to the paid stuff - Kicad, for instance, won't run on Windows 7 and the authors don't give a toss.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 12:32:21 am »
Free stuff is OK but relies on someone implementing some feature or fix because they feel like it. A commercial enterprise may not feel like it either, but at least you can actually withhold money (or not spend it) to let them know how you feel about it. Also, currently, the free stuff isn't up to the paid stuff - Kicad, for instance, won't run on Windows 7 and the authors don't give a toss.

OK, Windows 7 lifespan was October 2009 to January 2020. You're pushing your luck for anyone to actively support software on that for free.

You can pay for your own KiCAD development or features, etc. see https://www.kipro-pcb.com/
Would still be cheaper than an AD setup.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 10:23:10 am »
OK, Windows 7 lifespan was October 2009 to January 2020

I think you are missing the point. In fact, I think you unwittingly reinforced the point I was making!

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 09:26:46 pm »
OK, Windows 7 lifespan was October 2009 to January 2020

I think you are missing the point. In fact, I think you unwittingly reinforced the point I was making!

Adobe, Autodesk, and many others no longer support Windows 7 for years now.
Kicad not running on Windows 7 is a complete non-issue that no one should care about.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 09:37:43 pm »
There is a difference between not supporting and actively breaking.

Is Linux rubbish because no-one supports Wine? No, if it runs it runs and, so far as I know, most shops don't support Wine but don't go as far as stopping it working.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 09:54:26 pm »
They didn't actively break it, it was unsupported for a while, then python 3.9 came into play: "Note that Python 3.9.0 cannot be used on Windows 7 or earlier." Straight from the Python website.

https://forum.kicad.info/t/windows-7-soon-to-be-no-longer-functional-for-6-0/27149

Python 3.8+ and above use api that requires a minimum of Windows 8 and can crash attempting to run on Windows 7.
We will not be working around this due to the obsolete and discontinued status of Windows 7 and a check has been added to gracefully refuse to run KiCad in this situation. This check also goes backwards and will reject operation on Vista and XP.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 10:12:50 pm »
They didn't actively break it, it was unsupported for a while, then python 3.9 came into play: "Note that Python 3.9.0 cannot be used on Windows 7 or earlier." Straight from the Python website.
Which is an utterly stupid move to make. Especially for a programming language that is supposed to be cross-platform.  :palm:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 10:37:50 pm »
Which is an utterly stupid move to make. Especially for a programming language that is supposed to be cross-platform.  :palm:

As was mentioned above, Windows 7 lifespan ended 2020.
Its not a current platform.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 10:54:05 pm »

As was mentioned above, Windows 7 lifespan ended 2020.
Its not a current platform.
Nobody cares except Microsoft. Windows 7 is still widely used so it makes a lot of sense to keep supporting it. Forcing people to upgrade  is just a waste of time (if they can upgrade; I can't use Windows10 for example because I can't read anti-aliased text).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 10:56:39 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 11:39:35 pm »
Nobody cares except Microsoft. Windows 7 is still widely used so it makes a lot of sense to keep supporting it. Forcing people to upgrade  is just a waste of time (if they can upgrade; I can't use Windows10 for example because I can't read anti-aliased text).

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/choose-whether-to-smooth-edges-of-screen-fonts-in-windows-10.html

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/adjust-cleartype-windows-10

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 04:11:20 am »
Adobe, Autodesk, and many others no longer support Windows 7 for years now.
Kicad not running on Windows 7 is a complete non-issue that no one should care about.

I care about it. Windows 7 is the last viable operating system that Microsoft has produced so I continue to use it. Everything other than my main laptop is on Linux already but I still have a few things that require Windows so this machine is on Windows 7 for the foreseeable future. I run KiCad on it just fine though, I just stopped at whatever version I got used to years ago, it does everything I need.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 04:13:28 am »

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/choose-whether-to-smooth-edges-of-screen-fonts-in-windows-10.html

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/adjust-cleartype-windows-10

The only reason it even exceeded 50% is that it was pushed incredibly aggressively. The over the top malware-like methods they used to try to force adoption (along with being forced to use it at a former job) were enough to ensure I will never let it touch any of my personally owned hardware.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2022, 10:16:29 am »

I have no idea what that shows (either my adblocker or AV prefer not to let me look at it) but "context-free statistics" returns 6.73 BILLION hits on Google. There's a lesson there :)

If you wanted to play raw numbers games then everything except Android should be obsoleted by now. But sticking to the PC, the vast majority of those W1[0|1] users will have acquired it simply through it being on the PC when they bought it - they had no choice and probably care even less. So long as it browses to Facebook it's a good 'un. But a small subset of all those are not using PCs to be online snowflakes but do real work, and a subset of those will be designing PCBs. That's the target dataset, and I guarantee you that the percentage of W7 to W1[0|1] in that set is very different to the general population.

It doesn't end there either. We are not looking at existing users but potential users. Although now, I guess, we should be looking at ex-users and would-have-but-couldn't users. Any idea what those numbers are?

They didn't actively break it, it was unsupported for a while, then python 3.9 came into play

Technical quibble. For the purposes of this thread and my point, you could transfer everything to python. Open source, isn't it? Stopped supporting an OS in daily use by millions because, don't fancy it and 'you get what you pay for'.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 08:56:00 pm »
I care about it. Windows 7 is the last viable operating system that Microsoft has produced so I continue to use it. Everything other than my main laptop is on Linux already but I still have a few things that require Windows so this machine is on Windows 7 for the foreseeable future. I run KiCad on it just fine though, I just stopped at whatever version I got used to years ago, it does everything I need.

What are the chances you said the same thing about Windows XP.
Anyway, you can try Kicad V6 on the linux machine if you want to see the new improvements to usability.

I have no idea what that shows (either my adblocker or AV prefer not to let me look at it) but "context-free statistics" returns 6.73 BILLION hits on Google. There's a lesson there :)

If you wanted to play raw numbers games then everything except Android should be obsoleted by now. But sticking to the PC, the vast majority of those W1[0|1] users will have acquired it simply through it being on the PC when they bought it - they had no choice and probably care even less. So long as it browses to Facebook it's a good 'un. But a small subset of all those are not using PCs to be online snowflakes but do real work, and a subset of those will be designing PCBs. That's the target dataset, and I guarantee you that the percentage of W7 to W1[0|1] in that set is very different to the general population.

It doesn't end there either. We are not looking at existing users but potential users. Although now, I guess, we should be looking at ex-users and would-have-but-couldn't users. Any idea what those numbers are?

It shows that 84% of windows users are on a later version than 7.
How they got there is interesting but not really relevant to any OSS project.

Do you have a spare HDD? Throw it on a give it a try. Or linux, either works.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 09:45:04 pm »
What are the chances you said the same thing about Windows XP.
Anyway, you can try Kicad V6 on the linux machine if you want to see the new improvements to usability.

I stuck with XP until I built a new machine, then I went to 7 and adapted pretty quickly. I had to use 10 at work for almost 2 years, I never adapted, I hated every day of it. 7 had a few visual changes compared to XP but fundamentally it worked pretty similarly and unlike later versions it was highly customizable and didn't constantly update and install shit I don't want, occasionally even uninstalling stuff I did want, claiming it to be incompatible. I don't even know how many times I deleted stupid Candy Crush and other trash from my Win10 machine. Updates, updates, updates, always hijacking the machine at the most inopportune times.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 10:24:22 pm »
I stuck with XP until I built a new machine, then I went to 7 and adapted pretty quickly. I had to use 10 at work for almost 2 years, I never adapted, I hated every day of it. 7 had a few visual changes compared to XP but fundamentally it worked pretty similarly and unlike later versions it was highly customizable and didn't constantly update and install shit I don't want, occasionally even uninstalling stuff I did want, claiming it to be incompatible. I don't even know how many times I deleted stupid Candy Crush and other trash from my Win10 machine. Updates, updates, updates, always hijacking the machine at the most inopportune times.

You may want to look at LTSC in the future

This servicing option is exclusively available for Windows 10 Enterprise, IoT Core, and IoT Enterprise LTSC editions. Distribution snapshots of these editions are updated every 2-3 years. LTSC builds adhere to Microsoft's traditional support policy which was in effect before Windows 10: They are not updated with new features, and are supported with critical updates for either 5 or 10 years after their release. Microsoft officially discourages the use of LTSC outside of "special-purpose devices" that perform a fixed function and thus do not require new user experience features. As a result, it excludes Windows Store, most Cortana functionality, and most bundled apps (including Microsoft Edge).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2022, 12:57:06 am »

This relationship goes both ways. Users are generally not an asset to open-source projects, so contributors couldn't care less how many people are using it. If anything, users are a liability; they generate support requests and asinine complaints like 'it doesn't run on an out-of-support, 13-year-old OS that, whether we like it or not, is no longer supported by one of our core underlying tools'. So yeah, the people that actually are contributing to the project aren't going to put their effort towards features targeted at making users that can't be bothered to even maintain an up to date system happy. Such features are of little to no benefit to the contributors, who have no problem running a modern Python on their machines (probably on Linux...). It might even have concrete drawbacks to them, like being stuck on an ancient Python version. Who wants more whingey curmudgeons that refuse to get with the times associated with their project anyway?

On the other hand, individual customers, especially hobby users, have no weight with commercial entities either. If you want something different like say a perpetual not-cloudy license of their software, or support for Linux. Or anything, really, your option is going to be 'pound sand'. At least with open-source offerings you could potentially implement such support yourself, find an interested developer, or pay someone to implement it for you. It even has a good likelihood of getting upstreamed.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2022, 01:43:30 am »
users that can't be bothered to even maintain an up to date system happy

You're not here to make friends, are you?

There is not "can't be bothered" about it - if that were the actual attitude we'd be running whatever Windows version Microsoft saw fit to push last update time. Those of us not accepting that are actually pretty bothered about maintaining a workable system.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2022, 02:04:47 am »
There is not "can't be bothered" about it - if that were the actual attitude we'd be running whatever Windows version Microsoft saw fit to push last update time. Those of us not accepting that are actually pretty bothered about maintaining a workable system.

This. I was very much bothered and had to jump through an inordinate number of hoops in order to keep Microsoft from ****ing up my PCs. It would have been far, far easier to just not resist and go with the flow, but god dammit these are *MY* machines and I will install the OS that *I* want, on *MY* terms and schedule. I don't know what universe they're operating in that replacing the entire OS automatically as a recommended update and using practices indistinguishable from malware to trick the user into doing so is in any way acceptable.

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2022, 05:59:39 pm »
users that can't be bothered to even maintain an up to date system happy

You're not here to make friends, are you?

That's kind of my point. Open source developers have no obligation to you, they're not working on their projects to make friends, and they don't need more non-contributing users that have demands that make life difficult for them. Supporting ancient operating systems definitely qualifies.

You should take your issues up with Microsoft, and perhaps take this opportunity to migrate to an operating system vendor that is less user-hostile. Your reasons for not upgrading may be perfectly valid, but you should not at the same time expect everything to continue supporting the ancient operating system. That is the cost of the decision to continue running it, and that is on you, not the developers.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, MitjaN

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 06:59:32 pm »
That's kind of my point. Open source developers have no obligation to you, they're not working on their projects to make friends

Did you just join this thread 5 posts ago or something? My earlier post said:

Free stuff is OK but relies on someone implementing some feature or fix because they feel like it. A commercial enterprise may not feel like it either, but at least you can actually withhold money (or not spend it) to let them know how you feel about it.

Maybe you can identify the tiny difference between that and what you're arguing about, but I can't. Perhaps you meant to argue the toss with someone else?

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2022, 11:53:22 am »

OK, Windows 7 lifespan was October 2009 to January 2020. You're pushing your luck for anyone to actively support software on that for free.

I sell software with my hardware systems and was gobsmacked at the number of people still using XP in 2022 !

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2022, 12:00:04 pm »
Your reasons for not upgrading may be perfectly valid, but you should not at the same time expect everything to continue supporting the ancient operating system.

While many are hostile towards Win 11 it has improved security a lot.
A locked up pc being held to ransom is no joke.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf