Author Topic: Oddness with rooms  (Read 1089 times)

Offline angust_ukTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Oddness with rooms
« on: April 12, 2021, 07:44:32 am »
Hi all

I'm using a few rooms in my design to copy placement and tracking, but I've got to an odd point where some traces associated with one room seem to move with a second one (which overlaps but is on a different layer). The attached image hopefully helps explain - the room on the right is fine; when I move it, only parts from that room move, but the ones on the left show me dragging a room around but taking with it traces from another room.

Am I misunderstanding what rooms should do? All I want to do is copy the part location and traces from one room to several more and be able to continue to move them around independently.

EDIT: just realised it looks like animated GIFs don't work! Hope the above description is clear enough

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Oddness with rooms
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 01:59:40 pm »
Yeah, overlapping rooms don't always behave... sometimes they grab whatever's in their bounds (so, whichever one you grab, picks up the overlapping stuff), sometimes not... and polygons don't reproduce at all (unless that's been changed recently, I forget).

It looks like you're using pairs of rooms here, maybe you should add a hierarchical level, one up from these, that includes both?  Then there's no overlap, it's all in one room.  (Just disable the unused rooms in Project Settings/Classes.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: angust_uk

Offline angust_ukTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Oddness with rooms
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:23:42 am »
Many thanks Tim; I'll give that a try!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf