Author Topic: Pin comment with dynamic change using parameter  (Read 3341 times)

Offline BlackgarTopic starter

• Contributor
Pin comment with dynamic change using parameter
« on: October 19, 2021, 08:50:33 am »
During component creation, sometimes we are not yet sure which functionalies we will use on each pin (usually on MCUs).

So, is there a way to create a 'drop-down' list for the Pin's comment and avoid a huge pin comment like on the attached picture?

I tried to do it using parameters but seems is not working as expected.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Pin comment with dynamic change using parameter
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 04:07:38 pm »
Seems a bit of a roundabout way, but perhaps I'm missing something. It looks to me like you want to change the pin name to 'func1' after you've placed it, which would then select whatever the parameter 'func1' is set to. Of course, you can just change the name to "SDI" and be done with it.

Alternatively, are you suggesting that 'func1' would be set in the schematic symbol, you place the part and then change the parameter list so 'func1' equates to 'SDI'? That seems a worse way, so I am sure I'm missed some nuance of your request.

If I were wanting to do this, I would use a reasonable list of functions (that is, make the symbol almost as messy like you don't want) and then on placing (or later, after a bit more designing) just edit the name to be whatever useful description is appropriate.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Pin comment with dynamic change using parameter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 09:13:06 pm »
Some sort of feature to do this properly would actually be really nice.  Sort of like the graphic modes for schematic symbols, but you could tie the pin mode or function selection to electrical connectivity tools. 

I think dunkemhigh's suggestion of including the complete function list to start with is a good idea, if you put that in as a separate parameter you can choose to hide/unhide it on the schematic as you're doing your pin planning.  Then once you have it all figured out, you can hide it and place a suitable label in its place.  (In general I'm not a fan of editing symbols in place since that gets lost when you update from libraries.)  This has an advantage over putting the function list in the label in that you can show/hide the information per pin, so if you know that these two pins HAVE to be USB or whatever then you can get those out of the way and concentrate on the ones that need figuring out.  The corresponding downside is that you have to show/hide the parameters on each pin instead of having a convenient global setting like graphical mode (which would actually be a reasonable alternative: have two versions of the symbol that are identical except for that one has the functions listed and one doesn't, and switch between them as needed). 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf