Author Topic: Pour Clearance Slightly Off  (Read 388 times)

Offline SmuleChezTopic starter

Pour Clearance Slightly Off
« on: April 04, 2024, 09:08:58 pm »
Hello!
The the pours on my design are slightly off, its about less than a mil and it won't reasonably effect the physical board. However I would like to at least figure out why this is occurring.
I am observing this behavior with both the clearance around the board edge as well as around traces. Please see the images attached.
Changing the clearance of the board edge clearance to 0mil or turning off the clearance to the board edge pulls the pour straight to the edge with no gap, but with any value there is extra distance that is added to the clearance. Changing the width of the Board Edge has no effect on the clearance of the pour.
I have also tried using the Keep-Out Layer around the board edge with a clearance of 0 mil, but then there is still a small gap between the Keep-Out Layer trace and the pour.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Offline exmadscientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
Re: Pour Clearance Slightly Off
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 05:56:01 am »
I have noticed this behavior too, going back many years. It's small enough of a difference that I've never been bothered to track it down, at least beyond concluding that no setting I can access will do anything about it.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 08:40:54 am »
I'm not an Altium user, but fills in Eagle are are series of traces with non-zero width.  That is a user setting.  If Altium is the same, what happens when you decrease the width?  In other words, maybe that offset is the closest it can get without splitting a trace.

Offline SmuleChezTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 01:52:13 pm »
I have solved the extra gap between the pour and trace clearance by lowering the Arc Approx. value to 0.001 mil. However, that does not effect the Board Outline Clearance.

I'm not an Altium user, but fills in Eagle are are series of traces with non-zero width.  That is a user setting.  If Altium is the same, what happens when you decrease the width?  In other words, maybe that offset is the closest it can get without splitting a trace.

I can convert the pour to "Hatched" and decreasing the width of tracks does change the gap.
On some areas the pour appears to meet in the proper edge, but it other areas it doesn't. I attached an image that describes this behavior. The section of the left ends at a 90 angle on both sides, while the section on the right ends at a 45.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 02:17:51 pm by SmuleChez »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf