Author Topic: Preventing metadata leaks  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Rachie5272Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Preventing metadata leaks
« on: December 19, 2023, 09:35:58 pm »
I'm working on an open source project, and plan to release a bunch of altium files shortly.  Unfortunately, everything is absolutely full of private metadata.  The PCB files have full directory paths which expose my computer's username, as well as the entire directory structure of the project.  Schematic files leak the full path to my template files.  Pick and place files have full file paths, and a generation timestamp.  Even a PDF of the schematic leaks the full name on the altium license.

It doesn't even sense to record the full file path, because everything is set to use relative directory structures.  Altium tech support as usual denies this is a problem, and not leaking all my personal information to the world is a "feature request".

What can I do?  I want to distribute this project to the world, but not at the cost of my personal data.

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Preventing metadata leaks
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 10:18:16 pm »
Well, the last time I open sourced an Altium design I was told by the open source people that I should have used KiCad.
That was 10 years ago, so no way was I going to use KiCad back then.  And no way I would be using Altium for a new design now.

I wonder if you can try the KiCad importer to see how it handles the Altium design, and then publish the result?

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 10:25:57 pm »
KiCad leaks (some) data as well. Probably less than Altium, but at least it leaks paths to non-builtin simulation models. I haven't yet found an option that would export the project with all the models embedded.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 09:37:43 am »
No idea what to do about Altium, I think you got the answer from them, they don't care. This why I stopped using their stuff and went back to KiCAD. If you want to publish your project then what is the point in doing it on Altium? no one will be able to open your files or at least it will be more work than needed.

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 01:20:14 pm »
KiCad leaks (some) data as well. Probably less than Altium, but at least it leaks paths to non-builtin simulation models. I haven't yet found an option that would export the project with all the models embedded.

At least KiCad file formats are text based and documented, so I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to create a script that cleaned private metadata before pushing to a public repo.  It might take a little effort to avoid breaking some things, but there is a community to help.  And I imagine others would be keen to see this improved.

I am still very new to KiCad, and admit to doing recent designs in Eagle due to lack of time to spend on getting better familiar.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 06:11:00 pm »
Another vote for KiCad. KiCad's altium importer is pretty good, and as already mentioned, all file formats are text based, so it's easy to examine what is actually in all the files. (File format documentation is of course also available).

After a straight forward import, you can make make it more closer to a native KiCad project if you wish.

1. In KiCad use: Schematic Editor / Tools / Edit Simbol Library Links to replace available symbols with KiCad native parts ( you will need to do some re-wiring if the sizes differ)
2. Use: Schematic Editor / Export / Symbols to New Library
3. Also do: PCB Editor / Export / Footprints to New Library (Create project specific library).
4. And then: PCB Editor / Tools / Update Schematic from PCB to push these footprint changes back to the schematic. The schematic is the origin of a "part" in KiCad.

After these steps it's pretty much a self contained KiCad project.
It's up to you how far you want to go.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 09:40:52 pm »
My post from the other duplicate thread was deleted, but anyway:
- export to PDF then print to PDF
- put the project in a generic folder, not in documents
- use text editor to find and replace username from any text documents

No idea what to do about Altium, I think you got the answer from them, they don't care. This why I stopped using their stuff and went back to KiCAD. If you want to publish your project then what is the point in doing it on Altium? no one will be able to open your files or at least it will be more work than needed.

The value is in posting the PDF schematic and gerbers if anyone wanted to look at it, it can be done easily.
Even if its a kicad project, post the PDF's so people can easily view them, don't just post the PCB files.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf