Author Topic: Price AD  (Read 1501 times)

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Price AD
« on: August 20, 2019, 11:12:55 am »
I just got a phone call from the German Sale office: 7999€ .
Too much for an hobbist like me, they even offer me a -10% discount.

At least I tried.  8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:28:08 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Price AD
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 11:46:21 am »
I once signed up for a trial of Circuit.... StudioMakerThatCheapADThing. Didn't work for me at that time, so I didn't go on that route. Few days after the trial period I got bombarded with calls and mails regarding my "requested" talk with a sales representative. I can't remember to ever asked for that. And they didnt stop! I had to be quite unfriendly until that lady understood that I wanted her to bugger off.
Some time later, I subscribed for another trial period, this time mainly to see if anything significant has changed and also to get an insight into the Altium community, Vault, Forums and so on - which I didn't get. Again, I got called. Asked for a price. "You can get AD for as low as 8000€!" - "How about no? I signed up for CircuitWhatever for a reason." - "Yeah, but we would like to convince you that you need AD for the work you do" - "I use AD at work, why do you think I think about buying CircuitWhatever, which is much cheaper, for my home projects?" - "Yeah, but AD is so much better, and so cheap, and  :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:". Hung up on her. She called back, insisting that I NEED to listen to this gread discount they can provide me with. So I listened.

If I would have bought Circuitwhatever für ~500€ I would get the upgrade to AD for as low as 7500€! WOW! What a bargain!  :palm: But I had to decide if I would like to take that great offer very soon, as licenses are limited.  :bullshit:
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Pseudobyte

• Regular Contributor
  • Embedded Systems Guy
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 03:27:58 pm »
Here in the states I recently picked up a license for 4000 USD. You just need to tell them you are one man shop or contractor and they should drop the price significantly.
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do”

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 11:52:01 pm »
I just got a phone call from the German Sale office: 7999€ .
Too much for an hobbist like me, they even offer me a -10% discount.

At least I tried.  8)

If you are a hobbyist, find other ways, or use kicad.

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 04:34:50 pm »
I'm bumping this instead of starting a new thread because this is a kind of perennially relevant topic which may vary over time and with location, and it makes no sense to fragment the information.

I haven't heard that a one-man-shop can get better prices.  I am a one man operation, and my license is up for renewal.  Has anyone had any luck negotiating better rates for the annual renewal?

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:36:44 pm by dfnr2 »

Offline sam512bb

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 02:53:19 am »
I'm bumping this instead of starting a new thread because this is a kind of perennially relevant topic which may vary over time and with location, and it makes no sense to fragment the information.

I haven't heard that a one-man-shop can get better prices.  I am a one man operation, and my license is up for renewal.  Has anyone had any luck negotiating better rates for the annual renewal?

Thanks in advance!

It is best to negotiate with Altium near their year end, as they can be very aggressive at getting you to sign up.  I had Altium Ver 10 and have been out of maintenance for several years and last year they sent an e-mail about a discounted price.  I ended up upgrading to Altium Ver 20 with 18 months support for about $3K USD.  As I said I noticed the pattern that their renewal prices become far more aggressive in the Spring.

Cheers,

Sam

Offline Pseudobyte

• Regular Contributor
  • Embedded Systems Guy
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 11:59:56 am »
Yeah the time to buy is usually April-Jun

Offline profanum429

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 03:18:38 am »
I got a Black Friday 35% offer today from Altium for their perpetual licenses; bring it down an affordable ~6k :D

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 07:13:24 pm »
I got a Black Friday 35% offer today from Altium for their perpetual licenses; bring it down an affordable ~6k :D
You have a rather weird definition of what's affordable. I paid $3600 for my license (actually I've only paid half of it so far because it's split over 12 months, and I'm 6 months into it), but I would never call even my price "affordable".

Offline dunkemhigh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 02:34:34 am »
I would never call even my price "affordable"

What price would be 'affordable'?

Would it depend on what one's job is (PCB designer, systems developer, etc)? If so, at what price point would each become affordable?

Offline Pseudobyte

• Regular Contributor
  • Embedded Systems Guy
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 03:33:37 pm »
At 3600 you could recoup your investment and then some if you are using your license professionally. One $20,000 layout later and you are probably doing pretty well.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 04:40:14 pm »
At 3600 you could recoup your investment and then some if you are using your license professionally. One $20,000 layout later and you are probably doing pretty well.
Not everybody is paid that much for a single project, and if they are, that project doesn't drag over very long time (requiring maintenance purchases). Still, it's not bad if all you do is layout.
But in my case I do an entire solution from schematics to working boards or fully assembled devices delivered to a customer, so naturally I only use Altium for a portion of such projects, as the rest is FPGA design and/or MCU firmware/PC software development. So in my case it's hard to draw an exact line when I can say that I got my RoI because there might be periods of several months in a row when I won't even open Altium at all as I will be working on other aspects of system design.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:42:02 pm by asmi »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf