Author Topic: Sharing sub-parts between pages of a hierarchical design  (Read 1801 times)

Offline vixoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Sharing sub-parts between pages of a hierarchical design
« on: September 19, 2022, 03:05:17 pm »
I have a hierarchical design with a *very* tight board layout. I want to share an op-amp (use the parts A and B) between two circuits that happen to be near each other, which would solve all my design issues.

To do this I have to add the sub parts A and B on different sheets. If I simply label the designators the same thing Altium creates two duplicate parts. Is there any way to do this?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Sharing sub-parts between pages of a hierarchical design
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 08:47:33 pm »
Screenshot?

One should be labeled U1A, the other U1B, there is a dropdown to select A or B.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 04:23:20 pm »
Tools > Annotation > Annotate Schematics, under Matching Options set "Complete Existing Packages" to "Whole Project" ?

You'd need to make sure the existing symbols are reset before that, and even so Altium might fight you a bit if it's previously annotated that part and linked it to a PCB component, so might be easier to delete and re-add one of the schematic symbols if it doesn't work the first time.

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Offline vixoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 07:17:14 pm »
great, sounds promising but i don't follow

You'd need to make sure the existing symbols are reset before that

You mean reset the designators? How can I expect Altium to match them both together if I reset them? Normally I would manually set them as U1A, U1B

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 04:50:10 pm »
great, sounds promising but i don't follow

You'd need to make sure the existing symbols are reset before that

You mean reset the designators? How can I expect Altium to match them both together if I reset them? Normally I would manually set them as U1A, U1B

Yes, if the designators are already set then Altium won't annotate them and won't assign them to the same package.  If you reset just those two designators, and then annotate the schematic with "Complete Existing Packages" set to "Whole Project" it should see that those parts can be fit into one physical package and annotate them that way (as long as one is A and one is B).  If you had a bunch of the same part all with reset designators then it might pick two other instances to make a complete package, but should still try to make complete packages across schematic sheets.

If the parts are already linked to separate PCB components then even resetting them and re-annotating them might not get what you want, which is why I suggested it might be easier to delete and re-add one of them. 

If you're manually annotating your schematics, then I'm not sure how effective the "Complete Existing Packages" option is.  This is an area where Altium can be mercurial and fussy, and sometimes you just have to try things until one of them works  :-//

The following users thanked this post: vixo

Offline zanzeoo

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 09:44:13 pm »
Hello Same probleme here ,

trying to fit one 4 channel Amp into 2 sheet in a hierachical projet

it refuses to attribute Part U1AA and U1AB on sheet 1 and U1AC U1AD on sheet 2

Somone can help

thx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo