Author Topic: Update parameters from database  (Read 3194 times)

Offline electricarTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Update parameters from database
« on: February 12, 2017, 12:04:52 am »
Hello folks,

I've renamed some parameters in my excel database, e.g. "Mouser" to "Mouser PN".
Now when I perform an "Update Parameters From Database" "Mouser PN" is added correctly to the parts but the old parameter "Mouser" is not deleted.
Is there a possibility to make a "real" update and not only to add new parameters but also to delete old ones which are not used anymore?

Another question is if it is possible to add links to the ports of the Smart PDF output? I tried different settings, but I only get the parameter information of the parts when I click on them.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:07:10 am by electricar »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Update parameters from database
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:46:51 am »
You can always Tools / Parameter Manager and delete it by hand.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »
Hmm ok... :(

What about the links in the pdf? Is it possbile to create clickable links on ports to jump to the connected net?

I have also seen very often, that one updates the schematic symbol within the schematic library by "Update Schematic Sheets".
Unfortunately my components in the schematic loose their database link after this update. Is this method only valid for integrated libraries?

Kind regards

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:39:26 pm »
Tools->Update from Libraries will update your symbols, provided you have done a 'Refresh All' within the library (I'm assuming you're using an SvnDbLib). Update Schematic Sheets is really only meant for local libraries.

The only thing I found useful for ports is to do Reports->Port Cross Reference->Add to Project. You can set up the format for the added references in Preferences->Schematic->General under Port Cross References (I set Sheet Style to 'Number' and turn off location style). It's not a hyperlink, but at least it shows the page number that the port goes to (useful especially in printed schematics).

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 01:54:26 am »
"Update parameters from database" adds and updates parameters, but doesn't seem to remove parameters... I guess they want you to be able to save any custom/ad-hoc parameters you might have added to components manually in schematic editor, when you do component updates.  So in your case when you changed the name of a parameter and adjusted the link file to suit, you now have a dead parameter in each of the components in your schematic sheet that's no longer related to the database, and so no longer updated.

As already suggested in passing by Tim, the trick is to go into your "Tools>Parameter Manager" menu from the schematic editor, and select it to manage parts parameters only.

Then you get the whole list of every part in the project with a column for every parameter used. (kinda like a BOM, but live over your whole project's schematic sheets...  Click somewhere in the parameter columns you don't want any more, then right click "remove columns" - you'll get a dialog to confirm (again stating parameter name for you to check!) and boom, that old parameter name is completely removed form every part in your project.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:48:45 am by julianhigginson »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:52:39 pm »
Thank you guys, the combination of your hints is exactly what I wanted! :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf