Electronics > Altium Designer

Where can I find reliable libraries?

(1/5) > >>

matrixofdynamism:
I have access to Altium designer but it does not come with a lot of libraries like Eagle PCB does. This has made me a bit confused. I am using Altium 21.

Where can I find reliable libraries for complex parts like FPGAs and MCUs?

Also, I am wondering where can I find a goldmine of PCB designs containing FPGAs and MCUs to learn from.

If you know of anything, I will be grateful if you could share it with me.

Thanks.

Kean:
I've not tried it but take a look at https://altiumlibrary.com/
I didn't see any FPGAs at first glance, but there are a bunch of MCUs

SpacedCowboy:
I don't know if it's just me, but I've tried to register on that site twice now, and never been sent the email they promise :(

I'm trialling Altium atm (I have about a week left) and one thing that I've found invaluable is the samacsys plugin - it'll create symbols, footprints, and 3D models if they have them (and I'll happily search until I find one they do).

They didn't have the FPGA I wanted to use (an Efinix one) but they do have more common ones like ice40, spartan7, etc. I used this in Eagle, and it's just as good in Altium :)

Do a search for a part number (or part of a part-number), click on 'add to design', and it'll build the footprint (you can see it happening :)) and place the symbol at the bottom left of the schematic you're in... 3D model is downloaded and ready to go as well if they have it (look for 'Y Y' in the list).

Kean:
I just registered and got the confirmation email immediately.  My email is hosted on MS 365.

In any case, it looks like there is an alternative (and clumsy) way to access their files via their github repo
https://github.com/issus/altium-library

Alternatives that aren't Altium specific but can export to a large number of EDA systems are Samacsys, SnapEDA, UltraLibrarian, ...

With all sources (even from original chip vendors, and ones you build yourself) I recommend doing a thorough review of the footprint - even to the point of printing it out 1:1 and checking the part matches, and checking the pin names once placed on the PCB.  A little time spent early on can save so much time later on.

SpacedCowboy:

--- Quote from: Kean on May 06, 2022, 03:17:12 pm ---I just registered and got the confirmation email immediately.  My email is hosted on MS 365.

--- End quote ---
Huh. Maybe I'll try a different email then...

--- Quote from: Kean on May 06, 2022, 03:17:12 pm ---In any case, it looks like there is an alternative (and clumsy) way to access their files via their github repo
https://github.com/issus/altium-library

--- End quote ---

That's useful if I can't get the email to work, thanks :)

--- Quote from: Kean on May 06, 2022, 03:17:12 pm ---With all sources (even from original chip vendors, and ones you build yourself) I recommend doing a thorough review of the footprint - even to the point of printing it out 1:1 and checking the part matches, and checking the pin names once placed on the PCB.  A little time spent early on can save so much time later on.

--- End quote ---

This I agree with (and do) though I don't normally print it out - I'll just check the dimensions on the data sheet match the footprint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version