Author Topic: Will Altium 17 run in Virtualbox or Vmware on a Linux host?  (Read 26960 times)

Offline Ribster

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics prototyper. Design. Prototype. Consult
    • Ash Labs
Re: Will Altium 17 run in Virtualbox or Vmware on a Linux host?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 10:34:25 am »
I am running AD19 on parallels. Macbook pro with Mojave. WIN10 on the parallels VM.
Works great. My current laptop has some issues if i push the resolution above 1080p. But for the rest it's perfect.
I had WIN7 before with AD16. That worked much smoother then WIN10 + AD19 tho..
www.ashlabs.be
Design and manufacturing of embedded hard- and software

Offline vbelloir

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 07:50:53 am »
I's is usabled, but not for a long time.
For some small change in schematics or layout, it's enough, but for long work period, I have to switch du dual boot :(

So, no idea for me on how using 3D acceleration with my computer?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 03:56:26 pm »
I am running Ubuntu Linux and want to run Altium 17 in a Windows 7 guest. I have a Radeon video card and nowadays the only Linux Radeon driver is the open source one.  BTW, I own Altium 14, which runs fine on this hardware, and am trying the 15 day free trial of Altium 17. So far I can't get the pcb view to draw at all. Everything else seems functional.
In my experience only VMWare has decent 3D support. But VMWare isn't free and you won't be able to use Virtualbox and VMWare at the same time.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline plugwash

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2020, 07:45:29 pm »
My experiances,

I couldn't get altium 15 to work, even after enabling the experimental 3D support in virtualbox, enabling the experimental 3D support just changed the issue from nothing drawn at all to a corrupt display that would not move or zoom at all. I think your mileage may vary depending on what graphics card you have.

I saw references to an option to disable directx, but I could not find any such option in version 15.

So I decided to experiment with older versions. I first tried 2004, which worked but can't open modern PCB files. I then tried 10, which worked after disabling 3D support and was able to open my PCB files from 15 (with some warnings). I then tried 13 which also seemed to lack the option to disable direct3D. There did not seem to be any versions between 10 and 13 available for download on altium's site.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 08:50:11 pm »
For me the last version was Altium 14 that worked satisfactory in a VirtualBox vm on Win 7.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Ribster

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics prototyper. Design. Prototype. Consult
    • Ash Labs
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 12:58:13 pm »
There is no possibility to disable the background ERC ?
Like the PCB online DRC check that you can switch to enable / disable
www.ashlabs.be
Design and manufacturing of embedded hard- and software

Offline kirill70674

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2020, 05:35:05 pm »
Hello everyone !
  By now I've seen about twelve or more topics about launching AD17-20 on Linux.
Today I've finally made it. I have Ubuntu 20.04 installed on my Dell Inspiron 17 3793 laptop that has GeForce MX230 on board.
After several attempts to launch AD on VB with Win7 I just gave it up because newer versions of AD just consumed more program details (those details most likely related to 3D graphics) and nothing newer than AD18 didn't work. But those versions that I've launched could open just schematic and it's running was awful because I could not place any line or see any grid at all.
So I've installed VMware 16.1.0 build-17198959, gave it 4 CPU and 4Gb of RAM and switched to nvidia-driver-455.
After that I installed Win7 and AD18 on it.
Everything running just fine!
No lags no errors, full schematic, 2D and 3D layouts power!
I've opened miniPC example project and checked all aforementioned modes and didn't see a thing lake stalling or crashing etc.
   Hope it will help some of you.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2020, 10:40:29 pm »
Hello everyone !
  By now I've seen about twelve or more topics about launching AD17-20 on Linux.
Today I've finally made it. I have Ubuntu 20.04 installed on my Dell Inspiron 17 3793 laptop that has GeForce MX230 on board.
After several attempts to launch AD on VB with Win7 I just gave it up because newer versions of AD just consumed more program details (those details most likely related to 3D graphics) and nothing newer than AD18 didn't work. But those versions that I've launched could open just schematic and it's running was awful because I could not place any line or see any grid at all.
So I've installed VMware 16.1.0 build-17198959, gave it 4 CPU and 4Gb of RAM and switched to nvidia-driver-455.
After that I installed Win7 and AD18 on it.
Everything running just fine!
No lags no errors, full schematic, 2D and 3D layouts power!
I've opened miniPC example project and checked all aforementioned modes and didn't see a thing lake stalling or crashing etc.
   Hope it will help some of you.

Can confirm.. VMware is mine of choice, I actually run most of my software inside vms and not on the native hardware. Allows for easy snapshotting of whole environments as well as keeping the host clean of 5 billion programs

I also use... Windows 10, yes i am a blasphemer  :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf