Author Topic: #445 – Ludicrously High Frequency Interference - Automotive Testing  (Read 6213 times)

Offline PhilipMcGawTopic starter

On this episode you made mention of the automotive EMC requirements, and that it was generally self certified; I work for JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) in the UK as a EMC Test Engineer on components. the main international standard for testing whole vehicles is Reg 10 (UNECE Regulation 10).

Components are tested individually to an internal standard “JLR-EMC-CS v1.0 Amendment 4 – EMC Compliance Specification For Electrical/Electronic Components and Subsystems” (https://skippy.org.uk/jlr-emc-cs_v1-0_amendment_4/)

The limit lines in this standard are inline with equivalent international emission and immunity standards as you mentioned, however in general the limits are overall more onerous.

I have also written a short introduction on how to do go about getting CE marking - https://skippy.org.uk/i-have-made-a-cool-thing/

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab, Mr. Scram

Offline tocsa120ls

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronic hobbyist living in Stuttgart
No government cares about automotive EMC. They are too busy trying to get emissions down; we went in 10 years to .2% of the original emissions - now they want to spend enormous money to halve that .2 to .1%, meanwhile ignoring the fact that
a) most greenhouse gas emissions come from coal/gas power plants - sorry Greenpeace, the only remotely clean power source we have is nuclear
b) there is no real restriction (as Dave said) on emissions for huge ships, they don't have to do much aftertreatment of exhaust (some US ports have restrictions)
c) there is absolutely no emissions limits if the engine is not used to power the car

"C" is really funny, actually. This way Berlin could replace 15 regular diesel buses with full EV buses (yaay) that don't have enough juice to power the HVAC system, so in comes a little 4cyl diesel engine without any exhaust treatment - making the EVs much more polluting than even the modern diesel coaches (I nearly got a nosebleed when I found this out)

"A" now we only could get those molten salt reactors up so we could burn up all those higly radioactive waste we now bury like a cat does its s**t - also as Germany is slowly finding out, solar panels, if you add ALL the costs up, including recycling the panels after EOL, might be a net power loser.
-------
Short circuit - long fire

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
They are too busy trying to get emissions down; we went in 10 years to .2% of the original emissions - now they want to spend enormous money to halve that .2 to .1%, meanwhile ignoring the fact that
a) most greenhouse gas emissions come from coal/gas power plants - sorry Greenpeace, the only remotely clean power source we have is nuclear
b) there is no real restriction (as Dave said) on emissions for huge ships, they don't have to do much aftertreatment of exhaust (some US ports have restrictions)
c) there is absolutely no emissions limits if the engine is not used to power the car

Gas central heating is also a major contributor, probably equal to your point A. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a larger source of greenhouse gases.

Offline sajattack

• Contributor
Re: #445 – Ludicrously High Frequency Interference - Automotive Testing
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 08:16:03 pm »
Re: Where to post BOMs

Octopart - https://octopart.com/bom-tool
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:17:41 pm by sajattack »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf