Author Topic: Amp Hour #91  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Write_to_SmokegeneratorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • enthused hobbyist
Amp Hour #91
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:24:25 pm »
First about the lithium batteries at the airport  ;D:

http://xkcd.com/651/

One thing is not clear to me, why did "Electronics Australia" go down?
Dave said it is because the content was rubbish, but what exactly did change?

In Austria/Germany  there are 2 magazine's about hobby electronic I know about (actually i know another one but this is about amateur radio)
the First one costs about 5-7€ (depends which country) and half of the pages are advertisements, some articles are nice though.

The second one costs about the same, and has less AD from manufactures.  They not only publish this mag, they also sell things (and put AD's of their products in the mag as well  ::) ).
Almost all of the Projects they show are about their products, some of them are quite nice for hobby use. The circuit description is detailed and all.
Biggest downside is that almost every project has a MCU and they don't provide the source code. (I've never found the code)
So if you have nice Projects with the circuits but if you want to build one you must write the code yourself. sometimes i buy that one too.

Would be kind if so. can give me an answer about that, thx :D

cheers.

Wondering about my Username have a look at:
http://www.finkewitz.de/uwe/witze/ANSIASM.txt

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Amp Hour #91
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:57:51 pm »
One thing is not clear to me, why did "Electronics Australia" go down?
Dave said it is because the content was rubbish, but what exactly did change?

For many years toward the end it was clear to all the long time readers that the magazine was becoming more consumer oriented (less projects and technical articles, more DVD player reviews), under it's new editor Graham Catterly.
The Federal Publishing Company (who owned the mag) thought going totally consumer would be a good idea, so they stopped EA for a few months (without telling anyone, leading to rumours of it's demise etc), changed the name to EAT and dropped virtually all technical content. It was no longer a hobby electronics magazine, and died within 9 issues.

Dave.

Offline Write_to_SmokegeneratorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • enthused hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:18:19 pm »
Ahh thank you.

Wondering about my Username have a look at:
http://www.finkewitz.de/uwe/witze/ANSIASM.txt

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »
The Federal Publishing Company (who owned the mag) thought going totally consumer would be a good idea, so they stopped EA for a few months (without telling anyone, leading to rumours of it's demise etc), changed the name to EAT and dropped virtually all technical content. It was no longer a hobby electronics magazine, and died within 9 issues.
What a monumental cock-up that was... sad to see such a long running publication die like that.

I wished they just shifted focus to online content and start pushing PDF issues, or something. Still a huge risk to do something like that back then, but it probably would have survived to this day - probably flourish even.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf