Author Topic: Amp Hour direction  (Read 9098 times)

Offline ColinATopic starter

• Contributor
Amp Hour direction
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:51:13 pm »
I've not been listening since the beginning, only the last few months. I've yet to figure out the point of the show.

If there is a direction the show is going it isn't apparent. This by no means is a shot at the show, both Chris and Dave are smart guys and I enjoy the content.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Amp Hour direction
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:21:35 am »
You enjoying the content is the point of the show.
-Time

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:42:09 am »
There essentially is no "direction" to the show, and Chris and I have not really discussed it that much apart from trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, and ways to possibly grow the audience.
Chris usually has more grandiose ideas than I do on this, so he might like to chime in.

But really we just get together once a week and "just do it", and chat on about whatever takes our fancy or comes to mind. Usually electronics related, but not always. People seem to like it given the consistent audience from day 1, there seems to be a niche there.

Figuring out "direction" and "strategy" is for people with MBA's who like to piss in the wind.

The "point"?
You enjoy it right? that's good enough for me.
I originally came up with the idea for the show to give people another medium and format through which they can get their "electronics fix".
Video takes concentration and constant viewing, as does reading text blogs. But a radio show can be played on your way to work, sitting at the desk at work (without being busted for wasting your time surfing :->), walking the dog, exercising at the gym, or whatever.

Given that you can't really "teach" or show stuff on a radio show, it's essentially just entertainment. It's for those people who want to listen to a radio show format, but would prefer electronics talk rather than gossip on Paris Hilton or whatever is on regular radio.
What is the "point" and "direction" of regular radio shows?

We accept suggestions!

Dave.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:48:56 am »
Thanks for the insight...And may I suggest no celebrity talk and or political psycho babble as that crap kicks my A.D.D. into overdrive.

Offline OhmEye

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 03:13:55 am »
I'm entertained! Keep it up!

My 2bit suggestion for what gets my nerd on... I love first-hand experience-based stories about situations/events that teach and entertain. If the story is a great example of some particular "do, don't or how-to", even better. Failure stories can be especially fun and great educational entertainment, too. :) Maybe even a short "FAIL!" segment each show, heh!

Regardless, what you've got going is great and just be yourselves!

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:17:15 pm »
You guys should try and get some guests.  Maybe Jeri? Ben Heck? The guy from mighty ohm? Lady Ada?  other electronics bloggers?

I listen to all kinds of podcasts and the ones that always seem fresh are the ones who always have guests.
-Time

Alex

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:14:03 pm »

Figuring out "direction" and "strategy" is for people with MBA's who like to piss in the wind.

Dave.

I apologise for the slight digression. Seriously, the repeated and generalised hatred towards holders of an MBA or other management degrees is uncalled for. Many of us have been burnt by bad managers in the past but also encountered quality ones. There are also terrible engineers/scientists (and you know this very well!). It is like saying that everyone on this board, including Dave and myself, are pissing in the wind because others fail at their profession.

"Management a problem is a process, fixing a problem is an event, solving a problem requires a bit of both". - John Walker.

As far as the purpose of the AmpHour show goes, Dave hit the nail on the head: "Another medium and format through which they can get their "electronics fix"." For this reason, I am personally satisfied with the current laid-back conversation around electronics and twists every now and then (eg 555 contest). Please no Paris or Bieber or anything from that domain.

To my mind you should focus on raising awareness of the show.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:17:47 pm by Alex »

Offline monpjc

• Contributor
    • monpjc
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 07:49:15 pm »
Personally I think it works so well because of the planing you have - ie we are listening to engineers with passionate views. Its like listening to any two engineers in a canteen at lunch or break. Having a laugh and saying what they think.

Brilliant - keep it as is.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 04:18:11 pm »
I don't think there's much chance of Paris Hilton getting coverage to be honest. Unless one of the guys' nieces / nephews somehow hijacks the show. What I like about it is that (as has been said) it is a couple of engineers talking about "stuff", with more focus than the canteen or water cooler, but nevertheless it is real people talking about stuff that has cropped up in the last week, experiences about the industry, and technical greasy bits that don't get coverage in more formal media. I think as soon as you start scripting and start planning too much, then the real people just become actors and it doesn't work.

MBAs... I'm afraid I am kinda with Dave on this. I have seen too many MBAs who think they are the bees' knees and manage everything in sight, causing problems where none existed. I kinda rank them with other "paper" qualified people such as Microsoft and Cisco certified engineers, who have been on an expensive course and think they know it all. Just as there are damn good IT techs who are MCSEs, there are good managers who are MBAs, but then they were good all along, the paperwork didn't make them that way.

Anyone but Ben Heck please, he has a great garage full of nice tools, but all he does is make boxes for gaming consoles! He is an artist and film maker (his own words) but not an engineer, and doesn't have the engineering background that Jeri and Limor (LadyAda) have.

Programmes like The Amp Hour inherently evolve. For example, the workbench of the week was great to begin with, but now it's just a matter of listing what gear you can see in the photo. I'm sure that's great for the guys whose workbench it is, but I find myself just disinterested, or shocked at how some newbie has test gear far better than mine. After all, it is a podcast, if you don't like it don't listen, or jump past the bits you don't like! It isn't as if you paid anything to subscribe to it.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:57:07 pm »
I apologise for the slight digression. Seriously, the repeated and generalised hatred towards holders of an MBA or other management degrees is uncalled for.

Nope.

Dave.

Alex

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:42:39 am »
I guess you have been unlucky for too long Dave and lost all hope. That's fair enough.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:49:16 am »
I guess you have been unlucky for too long Dave and lost all hope. That's fair enough.

Nope, you just don't get that it's a running joke.
Try reading Dilbert some time, it's funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_act

Guess which one is Chris and which one is me...

If you take offense, great, it means I'm doing my job well!

Dave.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:53:24 am by EEVblog »

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 01:01:22 am »

Dave.

I always say "If everyone likes me then I'm not trying hard enough"

Alex

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 01:13:15 am »
Nope, you just don't get that it's a running joke.
Dave.

Not just well, great!  :) Keep it up!

Thanks for the clarification. I dont wan't to imagine what is said for engineers on management forums.

You will find strips of Dildbert on all employee's doors here...

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
    • Chris Gammell's Analog Life
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 03:06:56 pm »
Thanks to the ol' 555, I've been a bit busy but just saw this thread.

I have no real plans either. Honestly the key for me has been trying to be consistent and Dave has been great in working with scheduling. Life just gets in the way and on past projects once you lose momentum, it can mean the end of the show. Keeping it low prep has been helpful as well because we can just dial each other up and chat about stuff we've seen throughout the week. If we start planning and stuff, we'll need to try and bring on advertisers to offset the time cost, assuming that's even a possibility. So for now, it's about fun and keeping things light.

As for guests, we get this request all the time. I wouldn't mind it but I can only assume this would be more work. Right now I spend about 4 hours mixing and getting the show notes together after the show (with interruptions and a slow ass computer doing the processing). Mixing in another voice and getting it all squared away is what scares me. It doesn't mean it wouldn't work, just that I haven't had the motivation yet because Dave and I haven't quite hit the point of running out of stuff to talk about or always doing the same gags. Plus I worry about the lag time in discussion. Dave and I even run into that now and having a third person in the mix could make for some choppy conversations. Regardless, I'm open to the idea but it might be a while yet (I keep starting new projects too, so that doesn't help).

As for promoting ourselves and spreading the word? Well damn, I just have no idea how to do that. Honestly. If you guys have suggestions, please let me know. You guys are an awesome and responsive audience, but I don't know how many people out there will want to listen at work or whatever. We seem stronger with the hobby crowd than the pros (though some of the hobbyists are also pros).

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »
What I love about the amphour  is the fact you are listening in to two people having a chat. You the listener are given scant regard most of the time and are just left to keep up. This two way conversation is it's main plus point, the content is entertaining because of the format, who would listen to a broadcast about IEEE or sparkfuns latest grab bag? Just two guys chewing the fat no script to speak of and a wealth of Knowledge and opinion spinning off into one of Daves high level rants. None of this condescending 'And what do you think viewers' crap its all straight from the hip and honest. I love Chris's valiant (but mostly in vain) attempts to rein in Dave and avoid legal action, and Daves (playful) attacks on Chris's belief in homegrown IC's that shows a great respect of each other, indeed soul mates.If you cannot relate and become a soul mate too then you will not appreciate the amphour.   
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 04:12:15 pm »

As for guests, we get this request all the time. I wouldn't mind it but I can only assume this would be more work. Right now I spend about 4 hours mixing and getting the show notes together after the show (with interruptions and a slow ass computer doing the processing). Mixing in another voice and getting it all squared away is what scares me. It doesn't mean it wouldn't work, just that I haven't had the motivation yet because Dave and I haven't quite hit the point of running out of stuff to talk about or always doing the same gags. Plus I worry about the lag time in discussion. Dave and I even run into that now and having a third person in the mix could make for some choppy conversations. Regardless, I'm open to the idea but it might be a while yet (I keep starting new projects too, so that doesn't help).

Well maybe if there was a guest in your area he could physically sit with you and do the podcast and likewise for any Aussie guests on Daves end.  Wouldn't this simplify the editing process? This is assuming you live somewhere where people might frequent enough so that there is a chance someone who would be a good guest could travel there for pleasure/business.
-Time

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 03:02:57 am »
FreeThinker, that was an awesome synopsis of the show! Thanks!

Time, yes, this would be the optimal solution, as Leo Laporte is often able to do when people are willing to drive north of SF/SJC. Cleveland Ohio? I'm not saying there aren't interesting people here, I'm just saying the ones I know wouldn't likely come on the show :-) Maybe it's different in Sydney. And if we just enticed strangers to join, I would think it would turn into local-access television/radio.

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 06:27:53 pm »
It seems to me the most consistent "complaint" about the AH is that we want more of them. Here's a thought, FWIW ...

You and/or Dave could do independent telephone interviews with interesting/notable figures and then release them when available as AH-Specials. For example, you could do an hour on the phone with Mimms chatting about whatever. Dave could get do Dick Smith, or the documentary guy. The post production would be simpler than AH since you'd record both sides locally, already in sync.

Keep the existing AH as it is; it's near perfection for my tastes. These other features would be cool little bonuses.

I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:50 pm »
FreeThinker, that was an awesome synopsis of the show! Thanks!

Time, yes, this would be the optimal solution, as Leo Laporte is often able to do when people are willing to drive north of SF/SJC. Cleveland Ohio? I'm not saying there aren't interesting people here, I'm just saying the ones I know wouldn't likely come on the show :-) Maybe it's different in Sydney. And if we just enticed strangers to join, I would think it would turn into local-access television/radio.
Thanks for the kind comment 8).Reading your last sentence brought a mental picture of you being carted away by the local police as you tried to drag people into your cellar  ;D. Just be careful LOl
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:22 pm »
It puts the solderpaste on it's skin.

IT PUTS THE SOLDERPASTE ON IT'S SKIN OR IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!

#creepy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf