Author Topic: An analog scope for 10s of dollars?  (Read 7856 times)

Offline tophathackerTopic starter

An analog scope for 10s of dollars?
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:16:35 am »
I was listening to the TheAmpHour #117 — Undulating Utensil Utility podcast while driving and when chris and alan and dave all said that you could get an Analog scope for free or for 10's or 20's of dollars I actually spoke up in my car .. I was alone.

First off I enjoyed listening to Alan talk about his experiences and about tools in general, very easy to listen to.

Now back to the point, I went searching for my first scope about a year ago. I've used many tektronix scopes in two of my previous jobs, and a few HP scopes (mainframe style) so I'm not new to the scene but I live in North Dakota. That is probably my problem but when I found a Phillips PM3212 scope for $100 (no leads) I picked it up right away. It's missing some of the bells that the scopes at work had, but it's better than nothing. My question to you folks is where do I find these "free" scopes? I've started a hackerspace here in town, and I'd like to teach some people interested in guitar pedals and analog electronics how to use a scope but I'd like more than one.

Any ideas?

TopHat

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: An analog scope for 10s of dollars?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:36:07 am »
You ask on electronics forums like this one, and maybe try the sci.electronics.design group
Local universities throw old scopes out all the time.
And I've heard you can buy them by the pallet load at auction places

Dave.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:42:04 am »
If you have started a hackerspace you could also ask at big companies for old equipment. Just say it will be for teaching purposes and that you will include a sign with their offer.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:05:47 pm »
What if my country doesn't have a solid engineering industry? I can't imagine our universities throwing away old scopes because the last time I took a course in one of them, they still had CROs. Has anybody found a scope being in a situation like mine?

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:31:09 am »
Write letters to big companies and ask for donations (rigil, Hameg, Agillent etc).

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline tophathackerTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »
Letters? As in pen to paper? ... I'm not even sure I can find an envelope these days! I'm going to try a few cold calls this afternoon, my Alma mater, college in town, and the first company I worked at requiring a scope (http://www.ideal-aerosmith.com/index.aspx). Past that, not sure yet. Wish me luck :)

TopHat

Offline donald

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:09:12 pm »
You ask on electronics forums like this one, and maybe try the sci.electronics.design group

Dave.

dave

no one in Australia is that Generous , I've being looking for Oscilliscope for donkey ages.. tight budget

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:24:32 pm »
Sometimes you with have to be prepared to repair the free/cheap ones...
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline Ferroto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:04:40 pm »
Ham meetups usually have an area where you can buy\sell used equipment including oscilloscopes\function generators etc...

Offline Mediarocker

• Contributor
  • If it ain't broke, open it anyway!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:07:46 pm »
Sometimes you with have to be prepared to repair the free/cheap ones...

This. I have a semi-working one as of yet and am working on getting one that was given to me fully functional.

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:12 am »
Any ideas?

ebay. Scopes available for tens of pounds in the UK, Gould and Leader scopes seem to go for bugger all. Not quite free, but bugger all.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 10:06:37 am »
dave
no one in Australia is that Generous , I've being looking for Oscilliscope for donkey ages.. tight budget

I've personally given away two over the years, and sold a couple under $100, and have seen many being given away on aus.electronics, and the odd one asked for and scored through Silicon Chip IIRC.
Look at a recent thread were someone in Sydney scored a 4 channel 100MHz combiscope for $50 on ebay.

Dave.

Offline donald

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 11:27:38 pm »
Hmm , still not found an scope, i be happy if i could repair it, as learning best thing and would also be helping building my projects .. i ask here IS ANYONE GIVING AWAY NOT WORKING/ SEMI WORKING OSCILLOSCOPE ..

donald

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 11:48:04 pm »
About 16 of my scopes were gift ( 2X 535A, 2X 545, 546, 547, two old philips GM scopes, two pm3400 1GHz sample sopes , a 100 MHz philips mainframe, a fairchild, a 75 MHz Philips, a tek 465, tek 453, a sinclair miniscope and I probably forget ome)
And i also gave allmost all of them away, including a 3 year old Rigol DS1102E i hated, and a 150 MHz Tek 2445 I really loved but it was a bit a waiste i never used it.
Most were with problems when I got them, some where perfect, some I gave away i never tried so condition unknown.

So keep looking there are many around. Allmost every month someone offers me a scope, most times the huge 5XX models but I stopped accepting them because the space ( or it must be real special) ;)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline donald

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 04:37:42 am »
Living in wrong country , Aussie are really not down to earth and prefer receive alot than give ..42 years of living hell...

Offline poundy

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 05:40:31 am »

Dave.

dave

And any cheap ones on eBay always get snapped up by someone in the Hills district. ;)

I too would love to find an AU one in that price range. I guess part of the challenge is that there's not a lot of industry that would be using this or offloading this either. 

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 02:39:36 am »
Living in wrong country , Aussie are really not down to earth and prefer receive alot than give ..42 years of living hell...

Bye,Bye, :D

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 03:36:12 am »
Hamfests are still worth going to.

I got my Tek 7613  at a local Hamfest for around $135 a few years back,but it is a very capable instrument-- more basic stuff goes a lot cheaper.

Unfortunately,you missed the one in Bismarck--it was last month!

Local "Trading Post" type magazines sometimes have cheapies--the "Quokka" here in Perth has had several BWD & other type 'scopes
for around $50-$70,&,of course a few dreamers wanting  $250 or more! ;D

The Chinese 10MHz single channel analogs which are sold in Oz through Jaycar & others are unlikely to have a lot of resale value,so something similar may be cheap or even free if the owner has upgraded.

Even though they are fairly basic,they can do quite useful work,& certainly teach the basics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf