Author Topic: Forrest Mims on Amp Hour  (Read 13695 times)

Offline kaz911Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Forrest Mims on Amp Hour
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:07:53 am »
Hi Guys,

just wanted to say thanks :) for the great Amp hour show today - Forrest Mims interview was excellent - and could have been just as long as Vincent's :) (or should have been *G*) - Vincent interview was great as well!.

THANKS

Ohh and Chris - did you know your surname means "old" in Middle English (very old English) & Scandinavian? :) In German it is a nickname for "Junk" though

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
    • Chris Gammell's Analog Life
Re: Forrest Mims on Amp Hour
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 08:38:32 pm »
I've been told it means lots of different things, no clue which ones are correct. I do know Gammell is a Scottish name, though I'm 100% mutt :)

Offline JoannaK

• Frequent Contributor
    • Diytao making blog
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
Excellent show. I'm sure Mims has had a lot more stories to tell, so I'd like to hear him again on some later show.

Kaz911: IIRC the Swedish have word Gammalt, that means old, so may well be related since swdes/norwegians did quite a lot bisness with brits in old times.

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:07:05 am »
Yes, great show!  :-+

In German it is a nickname for "Junk" though

You mean: "gammel"
Yes, this means some old and obsolete stuff. Not directly junk, but also not far away from it.

Offline Orpheus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 01:28:40 am »
Aw, was disappointed that Dave didn't remember that Gene Shoemaker as a former NASA astronaut and astrogeologist. Okay, not an astronomer, but hardly an amateur.  Youngsters may not remember, but he was disqualified from walking on the Moon, due to an adrenal condition -- heartbreaking!

David Levy was the amateur astronomer whose formal background was in English Lit (However, after discovering 22 more comets and writing 34 books, he finally got a PhD in some branch of astronomy -- can't remember which)

Twas Brilliant and our Slithy Two
Did trademark "podcast overfill"
All Mimsy was the Amp Hour
And the Mims fans were thrilled
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:44:27 am by Orpheus »

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
    • Chris Gammell's Analog Life
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 02:00:43 am »
Yes, great show!  :-+

In German it is a nickname for "Junk" though

You mean: "gammel"
Yes, this means some old and obsolete stuff. Not directly junk, but also not far away from it.

Ah...so like old analog crap. Sounds good to me! ;)

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:23:16 am »
Hmm this is the third reference to Forrest Mims today for me. I mentioned him in a thread about what to do with a 556 chip, and one on LEDs and Phototransistors.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 03:22:41 am »
Great show, I hope you can have Mr. Mims back on in the future!   :-+

I had all of the engineers mini notebooks when I was a kid in the  80's.
Awesome collection of projects and simple, to the point education for those of use who are math disadvantaged.

Now, I no longer have those booklets.... I might have to but them again just to support his royalties.  ;D
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline kaz911Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 03:45:41 am »
Excellent show. I'm sure Mims has had a lot more stories to tell, so I'd like to hear him again on some later show.

Kaz911: IIRC the Swedish have word Gammalt, that means old, so may well be related since swdes/norwegians did quite a lot bisness with brits in old times.

Joanna - I'm Danish - and my wife is British - from "Up North" UK - and in the North of England there are a LOT of Scandinavian words most likely from the Vikings went on their "raids" :) - and a lot of the towns have Viking names. I have one of their local dialect "dictionaries" and at least 80% of the words there are from old Scandinavian (norse) influence.

Offline creyc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 03:58:11 am »
Very great show with the legendary Forrest Mims, he seems like a guy with plenty of stories!  I must admit I waited (quite impatiently) for this episode to air.

I particularly liked his suggestion of getting Woz on the show :P  C'mon how can we make this happen!

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 05:27:17 am »
Hope you can get him on again that was very entertaining. I'd be interested to hear what he thinks about the eevblog teardowns and so on.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 05:55:01 am »
I grew up too with the Forrest Mims the IIIrd :) They still sell his books at Radio Shack. :) I like his didactic style. I'm sure Forrest CAD predates Dave's CAD :)
David Levy is a local here in Tucson, Arizona. This town is big in astronomy. I listen to him on the radio from time to time. He and his wife are still looking at the sky and finding new comets. It seems that on November 16 we are going to have big meteor showers, it should be interesting to watch.  :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 06:20:10 am »
David Levy was the amateur astronomer whose formal background was in English Lit

Yes, I think I confused the two.

Offline ResistorRob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:16 am »
For my 10th Birthday I got a Fisher Price oscilloscope!

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 07:11:14 am »
Great show, I hope you can have Mr. Mims back on in the future!   :-+

I had all of the engineers mini notebooks when I was a kid in the  80's.
Awesome collection of projects and simple, to the point education for those of use who are math disadvantaged.

Now, I no longer have those booklets.... I might have to but them again just to support his royalties.  ;D

Growing up in the early 90's I bought them all as well. Taught me a ton about basic electronics.

FYI, they merged all of them into three bigger books a few years back. They sell them on Amazon for lest than $10 each. I bought them a couple of months back and it really brought back some memories. :D

Haven't listened to the show yet, hopefully I'll have a nice long drive coming up soon.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
Sv: Forrest Mims on Amp Hour
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 07:11:57 am »
Gammel is the Danish word for old

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 09:57:35 am »
Before there was Grumpy Cat, there was Sad Diode.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 11:05:08 pm »
Good episode. The religious aspect was kinda interesting, I wasn't aware he was Christian. I'm sort of surprised that Scientific America did that, but then again I know a lot of people in science who have a bias towards anyone that's not an Atheist. I asked a well known professor about it once and his take was, "If they don't have enough intelligence to see through religion then they can't be smart enough to be in *real* science." Which I thought was a bit pretentious and presumptuous.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: Re: Forrest Mims on Amp Hour
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 08:24:11 am »
Good episode. The religious aspect was kinda interesting, I wasn't aware he was Christian.
I found that interesting as well. I thought Dave did well not to express his views on the subject. You can hear him catching himself when Forrest first mentioned it.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 11:45:51 pm »
Good episode. The religious aspect was kinda interesting, I wasn't aware he was Christian. I'm sort of surprised that Scientific America did that, but then again I know a lot of people in science who have a bias towards anyone that's not an Atheist. I asked a well known professor about it once and his take was, "If they don't have enough intelligence to see through religion then they can't be smart enough to be in *real* science." Which I thought was a bit pretentious and presumptuous.

Scientific American's problem was not that he was Christian, but that he was (and is) a creationist.

While Mims is clearly a very intelligent guy, he is not rational on the subject of evolution. His religious beliefs have led him to become a fellow of the Discovery Institute, which is a deeply unpleasant organization devoted to replacing scientific thought and critical inquiry with pseudo-scientific religious claptrap, particularly in schools. One can see why Scientific American thought that employing him could have been a problem, even if the science in his chosen fields of research is impeccable.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 12:24:56 am »
Oh shit...  :palm:

Yeah, I know all about the Discovery Institute. This is really depressing... It's like when you have someone you really look up to, perhaps even idolize, then one day find out they're a child molester. Only, this is worse; he's a...CREATIONIST! |O

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people that are religious, as long as you're not hurting someone else knock yourself out. But to find out that someone who's so smart (a scientist even) believes Genesis is a factual account of how we came to be... How can I trust anything else they say?

I mean, I know a couple of real scientists who are Christian, but they believe everything in the Bible is more allegorical, i.e., people trying to explain the unexplainable in a way that made sense to them at the time. For instance, one person I know thinks Adam being created out of mud is a metaphor for evolution (we all started as primordial ooze). I can at least respect that, but Creationism? Damn...

My fiancé is the organizer of a local Skeptic Meetup Group; we're having a regular meeting tomorrow (Skeptic Sunday Brunch) so I'll have to bring this up. So depressing. :'(

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 01:17:49 am »
I particularly enjoyed his implantation of electronic skills in the measurement field and probably more about the collating of data over time and seeing patterns. Then deducing and following up the deduction with more data gathering.

We all know, for example, that temp changes throughout the day but to see it over several days and noting patterns is fascinating. Even more so for the type of data he's collecting

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 01:49:02 am »
Probably the answer lies in power and influence, and wealth for the clerics. Also you would need to confront being deceived by your parents and that they are wrong. Maybe there are social pressures too.

I blame it on rationalism at least as far as relatively intelligent biblical literalists is concerned ... a non sociopathic atheist is generally a romantic, you embrace the irrational and personal meaning you attach to life. Those who neither want to embrace romanticism nor nihilism have to live a lie ... and that is easiest by embracing one big lie (God) from which the supposedly objective standards around which you want to base your life can all stem. Once you embrace God for those reasons it becomes hard to allow subjective interpretation of your crutch, so literalism is the natural follow up.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:59:23 am by Marco »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: Re: Forrest Mims on Amp Hour
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 03:42:19 am »
Good episode. The religious aspect was kinda interesting, I wasn't aware he was Christian.
I found that interesting as well. I thought Dave did well not to express his views on the subject. You can hear him catching himself when Forrest first mentioned it.

There's only like a billion in the world. You're bound to run into a few now and then.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 06:18:36 am »
This was a very interesting podcast. I only started watching them this week. My first electronics book was one
Of Mr. Mims books. My parents actually marked circuits that I could do (mains voltage). Btw I always knew he was a Christian, not that it bothers me.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf