Author Topic: Is amphour officially dead?  (Read 32952 times)

Offline mwsoftTopic starter

• Contributor
Is amphour officially dead?
« on: September 17, 2018, 08:24:16 pm »
In short words - in my opinion it only worked when both Dave and Chris interviewed guests.

Now there is only Chris with his startup/maker/hacker/conference/meetup/arduino/iot/artist/hackaday buddies.

Long gone are days of real industry/academia guests :(

Maybe it's my impression, but maybe Dave is also tired of speaking over and over with Chris's people from maker/hacker community, so he only occasionally pops up for no-guest episodes?

Anyways - I'm sad - my favorite podcast is going downhill...

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
Re: Is amphour officially dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:58:19 pm »
It's still my #1 podcast to listen to in the car and on airplanes. I discovered it perhaps only 6 months ago and while I definitely prefer the Dave and Chris interviews of guests over the Chris-only ones, I still very much enjoy the Chris-only ones. (The 397.xxx series was not especially good, IMO, but 401 was OK, 402 was great, 403 good and I'm in the middle of 405 which is good; all of those were Chris-only.)

Some of the older episodes had really great guests for sure. I think the recent few episodes are also still well worth listening too (397.xx was not my cup of tea, admittedly).

I'm going to continue to "Keep Current"...

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:35:55 pm »
"Chris-Dave" is good for chat.
"Chris alone" is good for interviews. But not the recent barrage of random people with noise in the background.

Alex

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 11:03:24 pm »
But not the recent barrage of random people with noise in the background.
To be fair to Chris, he did label the 397.xx all as one episode number and gave fair warning that they'd be different and have worse audio and if we wanted to skip them, to do so. In retrospect, I probably should have, but that I didn't is my own choice, not CG's fault.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 01:27:27 am »
Maybe you're changing too and your expectations are diverging. I know that for a time I thought the EEVBlog was going downhill in spite of Dave's data to show he was doing what he always did. But now I realise I have changed a bit. Not personally, but in response to much more diverse and abundant content available.

You might have the same experience. You might be more busy for example and less tolerant of topics and guests not finely attuned to your specific interests.

The following users thanked this post: mcovington

Offline mwsoftTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:49:34 am »
Maybe you're changing too and your expectations are diverging.

Hmm - I dare to say, that maybe type of audience shifted, not my expectations.

I have two main points:
1) Interviews without Dave. These guys are like yin and yang, Chris is often flying in clouds, while Dave is more down to earth. They balance each other pretty well.
2) For the last 50-100 episodes, most of the guests are from Chris's tight social circle. He interviews his "buddies" instead of using networking to find people from real industry, not only maker/hacker/startup community. In my perception that was "the old way" the amphour worked.

I try to listen to every episode, but many times I ask myself - why do I care about this micropython or ESP8266, or some conference badge.... Maybe I'm getting older, and most of audience is still composed of college/uni students in their 20s, so they are really interested in this maker/startup stuff...

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:23:00 pm »
Maybe you're changing too and your expectations are diverging.

Hmm - I dare to say, that maybe type of audience shifted, not my expectations.

I have two main points:
1) Interviews without Dave. These guys are like yin and yang, Chris is often flying in clouds, while Dave is more down to earth. They balance each other pretty well.
2) For the last 50-100 episodes, most of the guests are from Chris's tight social circle. He interviews his "buddies" instead of using networking to find people from real industry, not only maker/hacker/startup community. In my perception that was "the old way" the amphour worked.

I try to listen to every episode, but many times I ask myself - why do I care about this micropython or ESP8266, or some conference badge.... Maybe I'm getting older, and most of audience is still composed of college/uni students in their 20s, so they are really interested in this maker/startup stuff...

eventually millennials will kill everything.  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:53:37 pm by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: Pizzalover

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 06:54:19 am »
Episode 409 is gold.
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 11:24:05 am »
Every time I hear about I-we made a badge that has blinking lights :blah: :blah: :blah: ...
I reach for my 3 pound sledge hammer.
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline travLTTL

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:54 pm »
love the AmpHour, but there are some other good podcasts in the industry. Personally Macrofab has taken over my fav atm!

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 10:55:27 pm »
Funny, I've never liked the Dave+Chris interviews. Dave interrupts the guests far too much, and often derails the guest about to make an interesting point by going off on a tired rant, or telling the guest what he's assumed they're about to say, and we never get back to the interesting bits.

I agree I'm not big on the maker community interviews, but I don't feel there's really been a dearth of industry guests lately. I've quite enjoyed some of the recent industry guests.

I totally skip the chat episodes.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 11:21:45 pm »
Maybe you're changing too and your expectations are diverging. I know that for a time I thought the EEVBlog was going downhill in spite of Dave's data to show he was doing what he always did. But now I realise I have changed a bit. Not personally, but in response to much more diverse and abundant content available.

Good to know my argument helped someone realise!  ;D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 11:43:56 pm »
In short words - in my opinion it only worked when both Dave and Chris interviewed guests.
Now there is only Chris with his startup/maker/hacker/conference/meetup/arduino/iot/artist/hackaday buddies.
Maybe it's my impression, but maybe Dave is also tired of speaking over and over with Chris's people from maker/hacker community, so he only occasionally pops up for no-guest episodes?

It's not officially dead.
I'm taking to Shahriar from the Signal Path today (by myself)
Yes I am not a regular any more for the interviews for a few reasons:

- I'm just busy, and the show is smack in the middle of the day when I need to get other work done. And given the show does not help pay my bills in any way, or otherwise contribute to that effort, it's hard to justify. So we dropped back to a fortnightly appearance that works better for me.

- Yes, Chris tends to have a lot of his networking buddies on which I almost have never heard of and wouldn't really be keen to interview (no offence). Well, it's not that I wouldn't find them or their topics interesting, but it feels more like just having them on for the sake of keeping the interview part of the show going. Chris (I'm assuming) will usually have some sort of agenda talking to them (because he's met them at some meetup and he loves networking etc) and I feel like I'd just be a third wheel. And given my next point, you'll see why I'm not that keep on those interviews.
Chris also often interviews them at meetups and shows and its just logistically hard and unproductive to have two people live, with a third person remote, it's just pointless, so it's sensible that it be Chris only.

- I've come to think that 3 person interviews just don't work as well as a good 2 person one. And as someone mentioned, Chris has his style and types of questions and I have mine. That balance can work , but I think more often than not it's a bit of a hindrance. I find the 4 way shows pretty frustrating. And you really have to try and do this to understand how difficult it is to have three people on opposite sides of the planet not being able to see each other trying to hold a decent conversation. This is why we might often talk over each other, because there are no visual clues and there is very slight audio delays that don't help.

"Officially" it's me and Chris every 2nd week, alternating with a guest show inbetween. But given that Chris is always travelling and at shows and meetups etc, the schedule gets all mixed up.
I took a 3 week family holiday in Jan, and I have a family whilst Chris doesn't, so my time demands are higher.
And whilst the AmpHour was my idea and I founded it, Chris has been running the show for almost the entire time. The was always keener to edit it, find and schedule guests etc, he just loves doing that. And given the AmpHour is a his main publicity outlet, whereas I have the EEVblog, it seems natural that he'd be more keen to keep it all running than I would be. Chris has a much more vested interest in keep it running regularly than I do.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:48:27 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 05:30:35 am »
This week’s Amphour, #429, was very good.
Most of them are, i’ve only FFWD a single episode so far.
You two are doing a great job.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:57:42 am by gildasd »
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 07:29:04 am »
Today's episode with The Signal Path is all about leading edge 5G technology development and is very interesting!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, TiN, thm_w, gildasd, timgiles, gnavigator1007

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 10:41:15 pm »
Rumors of the death of the Amp Hour have been greatly exaggerated  ;D

https://theamphour.com/430-shahriar-discusses-5g/

The following users thanked this post: jancumps, Koen

Offline Hugoneus

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 06:11:14 pm »

It was very fun recording this. Thank you!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, TiN

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 07:52:34 am »
It was very fun recording this. Thank you!

Yep, I enjoyed it a lot, thanks for coming on again!
As usual, our "press record and see where it goes" approach works a treat.

The following users thanked this post: gildasd

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:10 am »
Great episode Dave. I live in Umeå Sweden and our city has been chosen to be the first roll out here in Sweden. Colleagues on my swedish wife at Umeå University are losing their heads over 5G, that it will cook our brains  :palm: :-DD Been trying to explain that the stories about birds being roasted whilst flying past an antenna are fake news but now I can refer to this interview.

It is great you two have a good way of interacting in interviews that comes across as natural, interested and both parties have their expertise in different parts of the industry which occasionally can cross over.

Offline sbehnke

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 05:52:43 pm »

That was a fascinating episode too! I know squat about RF in general and still found it very interesting and could follow most of what was discussed.

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
    • Chris Gammell's Analog Life
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 03:53:00 pm »

Always love having suggestions here: https://theamphour.com/suggestions-2/guest-suggestions/

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 03:10:35 pm »
I think the quality of Chris' interviews has improved mightily since he works freelance.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline VR46Jedi

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »
I recently found this podcast after watching some of Dave's YouTube videos then coming here to EEVBlog.  It's great to have something to listen to on my commute that gets me interested in tinkering in electronics again and learning new things about what's going on in different tech areas.  I'm just now listening to the 5G episode.  Thanks for making these podcasts guys!

With respect to cutting off people in conversation I can appreciate the logistics issues and the audio delays that could hamper the flow of the episodes.  Sometimes you can sense it but there isn't much that can be done about it.  Everyone just needs to realize it isn't on a tv talkshow budget or CNN satellite feed system.

Anyone have any particular episodes you'd recommend I listen too in the past 400 shows?! :-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 01:33:13 am »
Anyone have any particular episodes you'd recommend I listen too in the past 400 shows?! :-+

Welcome to the forum.
We just did a big survey but forgot to include a question about people's favourite episode  :palm:
Depends on what you are into really, but usually the ones with the "old timers" are generally considered favourites by many. e.g. Forrest Mimms, Henry Ott, Howard Johnson, Jack Ganssle, Chuck Peddle etc.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2019, 01:47:18 am »
I had no idea there was one with Forrest Mims, I wore out my first copy of one of his books when I was a kid. I think it was Getting Started With Electronics?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf