Author Topic: This is how i listen to "The Amp Hour"  (Read 12787 times)

Offline dicsTopic starter

• Contributor
    • dicsEE - Hobby Electronics
This is how i listen to "The Amp Hour"
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:20:42 am »
Am i a geek or what ?

How are you guys doing it ? Or where ? :)

HLA-27b

Re: This is how i listen to "The Amp Hour"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:45:06 am »
LOL

It looks geek
It smells geek
And it sounds geek
It is geek

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:00:17 pm »
What it does exactly?

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:36:46 pm »
I'm a lazy engineer.  My Palm Pre automagically downloads it and I listen to it on the drive into work.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 08:45:51 pm »
What it does exactly?

It plays the show in 8bit pcm form from a mmc card using a pwm dac and a one transistor amplifier (without low pass filter). The micro is a PIC18F25J10 running at 40MHz

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
    • Chris Gammell's Analog Life
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:44:37 pm »
I know it's Dave's forum and all, but jeesh, you could have had a clip where I was at least on the show, let along talking ;-)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:15:36 am »
I know it's Dave's forum and all, but jeesh, you could have had a clip where I was at least on the show, let along talking ;-)

Huh?, who are you?
Gammell?, never heard of him...  :P

Dave.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:40:21 am »
Thank you, guys, for mentioning me in your awesome show :)
You rock !

Offline Wartex

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 05:53:24 pm »

Huh?, who are you?
Gammell?, never heard of him...  :P

Dave.

I hate to be "that guy", but (again, this is just my opinion) despite Chris' experience, his contribution to the show is very minimal, I haven't listened to them all but several ones I've heard, he just sits there and just confirms everything Dave says a la Beavis on MTV, with a sprinkling of offtopic comments. I've brought this up on Reddit and several dozens people agreed that if you just mute everything he says during the show, nothing of value will be lost. It's hard to judge what Dave's and Chris' real knowledge is, but IMHO Dave overshadows Chris. Effectively Chris is a cowbell in an orchestra.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:12 pm »
I hate to be "that guy", but (again, this is just my opinion) despite Chris' experience, his contribution to the show is very minimal, I haven't listened to them all but several ones I've heard, he just sits there and just confirms everything Dave says a la Beavis on MTV, with a sprinkling of offtopic comments. I've brought this up on Reddit and several dozens people agreed that if you just mute everything he says during the show, nothing of value will be lost. It's hard to judge what Dave's and Chris' real knowledge is, but IMHO Dave overshadows Chris. Effectively Chris is a cowbell in an orchestra.

Whoa! At this point I'll have to step in in defense of Chris. Amp hour would not work without contrast of styles and opinions.  You cannot fairly equate value with the number of topics raised or the length of the oratory.  Don't confuse differences in personalities with the value of the input and remember even in simple double act mode a fall guy is required for the routine to work. Not that I see Chris as a mere fall guy for one moment his input to Amp Hour is part of what has made it the success it is.

Besides that who else is going to be the Amp Hour's Justin Bieber lookalike should a baby faced rock star ever be required!  ;)

And a big plus for the periodic appearances of Jeff and or Jeri which keeps the whole deal fresh.

alm

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 06:04:22 pm »
I agree with Uncle Vernon, the difference in personalities is very important for the show. Dave usually comes across as I've-seen-it-all, always has an opinion (regardless of knowledge level) and slightly jaded. Chris seems more curious, interested in new stuff and somewhat naive.

Chris often introduces new topics and seems to actually spend some time preparing for the show. A show without Chris would probably be something like 'Welcome to the Amp Hour, let's see, what's in the news... checking EEtimes... let's check Element14, ah, here we have a story!'. ;)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:45:30 pm »
let's check Element14, ah, here we have a story!'. ;)

A story on Element14? Would be a first for that boring site.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
    • Chris Gammell's Analog Life
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 12:41:18 am »
I don't take it as a slight, I think it's important input that Wartex has. I could stand to speak up some more here and there, but the truth of it is that Dave is more experienced and sometimes I don't have much to say on certain topics. That doesn't stop Dave, of course ;-)

Now, while I value the feedback, I don't plan on stepping down and hope it's not suggested again. I do want to get some more voices on the show and thought the last show with Jack went VERY well. I hope to do more stuff like that in the future. And of course we'll ask our regulars back from time to time. Some of the time though, the reality is it's going to be just me and Dave. If people don't like that, they are of course welcome to "tune that dial" away from our show.

~Beavis Jr. (Chris)

ps. Wartex I couldn't find the conversations you had mentioned on reddit (using their limited search ability). If you forward it along, would love to see more conversations about how to improve the show.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 12:54:41 am »
I could stand to speak up some more here and there, but the truth of it is that Dave is more experienced and sometimes I don't have much to say on certain topics. That doesn't stop Dave, of course ;-)
Aprentices and junior partners come up with the best ideas from time to time. While Dave may be the loud one, I think he still respects your input. (well maybe not about home made silicon  ;) )

I do want to get some more voices on the show and thought the last show with Jack went VERY well. I hope to do more stuff like that in the future. And of course we'll ask our regulars back from time to time. Some of the time though, the reality is it's going to be just me and Dave. If people don't like that, they are of course welcome to "tune that dial" away from our show.
More guests is greatand yes the program with jackwas one of the better ones. The meat & potatoes Dave & Chris episodes are fine too, with only the occasional shocker.

Offline nzo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 11:05:44 am »
Without your quiet strength and support Chris, Dave would be like a bucketful of frogs. Real leaders are not those with the biggest voice. Good on yer mate  8)
Frogman: half man, half frog, but which half?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf