Author Topic: 121GW Multimeter import cost EU/IRL  (Read 1141 times)

Offline snoozer

• Contributor
121GW Multimeter import cost EU/IRL
« on: August 19, 2019, 12:55:58 pm »
Hello,

I have bought a multimeter from Uni-T a few months back but I am not really happy with it. Looking around and watching the EEVblog YT channel it looks as if the 121GW would be a reasonably priced good choice within my budget. I am wondering if anyone from the EU or Ireland could advise me as to what extra cost I need to expect importing it to Europe/Ireland. Ideally I would love to hear from someone who purchased it. I hope its not a duplicate question, have not found anything on this in the forum.

I also had a look around for bench top multimeters 2nd hand from Instrument dealers and Ebay but there is nothing reasonably priced and shipping to my place from Europe at this point in time that would make sense for me.

Kind Regards
Jan P.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: 121GW Multimeter import cost EU/IRL
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 01:41:36 pm »
Hello,

I have bought a multimeter from Uni-T a few months back but I am not really happy with it. Looking around and watching the EEVblog YT channel it looks as if the 121GW would be a reasonably priced good choice within my budget. I am wondering if anyone from the EU or Ireland could advise me as to what extra cost I need to expect importing it to Europe/Ireland. Ideally I would love to hear from someone who purchased it. I hope its not a duplicate question, have not found anything on this in the forum.

I also had a look around for bench top multimeters 2nd hand from Instrument dealers and Ebay but there is nothing reasonably priced and shipping to my place from Europe at this point in time that would make sense for me.

Kind Regards
Jan P.
You could consider buying it from Simon at least until Brexit happens.

https://simonselectronics.co.uk/product-category/eevblog/

The following users thanked this post: snoozer

Offline snoozer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:47:49 pm »
Hi,

thanks for that link, I will take that into consideration.

Regards
Jan

Offline snoozer

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 03:56:51 pm »
Yes, I think the above is my best option. I have spend the last few hours to find out what the rules are re import of such goods. Everything that is over 30 Euro I have to pay the 23% VAT, I knew that. The bad part is everything over 150 Euro (that includes shipping, handling etc) is liable to import tax/duty of 12% or 15%, was unable to find that out precisely. That makes the UK shop my best option. Just have to be quick....... one never knows what BJ has in mind ;-)

I have tried to find out a way to mark a topic solved but I somehow can't find anything here or on the Simple Machines website.

Thanks
Jan
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:59:38 pm by snoozer »

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:27:05 pm »
I have tried to find out a way to mark a topic solved but I somehow can't find anything here or on the Simple Machines website.
I don't think there is a specific option to mark a question solved, but you could e.g. edit the title of the first post with [SOLVED] or [FOUND] or [whatever].

Enjoy your 121GW!

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:58:06 pm »
I bought mine from Welectron. They ship throughout EU definitely.

https://www.welectron.com/

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6.1 mit Tapatalk

Offline snoozer

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 02:13:21 pm »
Hi,

thanks for the links, I have it ordered with a nice Probe Master kit and carry case. Can't wait for it to arrive now.

Have FuN!
Jan P.

Offline snoozer

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 09:43:12 am »
I got the meter last week and I am all happy. The best thing was the Master Probe test leads, they are REALLY sexy...... So thanks for the suggestion re Welectron, happy to buy there again, very quick service !

Next on the list is a Function or Waveform Generator........ not yet sure how to select what is right for me. Seems weird that the CN cheapies have 60MHz or there about and lower price range Siglent, Rigol and the like 10-30MHz. I guess I have not yet understood the basics.

Regards
Jan P.

Online AVGresponding

• Frequent Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 05:59:57 pm »
If you're wanting decent gear you may be much better advised to buy high quality second hand, rather than going for cheap and new.

Bargains are out there for persistent and patient people; I've spent maybe £500 recently rebuilding my test and repair lab after a two decade or so absence from the field (aside from minor projects), and for my outlay I've acquired a Fluke 8840A with ac-09 option (5.5 digit, 0.005% basic accuracy, £90 inc shipping), a fully optioned Tek TDS420A scope with 7 high quality probes (£100 shipped), a Black Star Jupiter sig gen (only 2MHz, but I used one in the 90s and like it, £45 shipped), a TTi 1906 (5.5 digit programmable DMM, 0.05% basic accuracy, £63 shipped), several other meters, a couple of logic analysers, and a couple of power supplies.

Just got the Fluke back from the calibrators (free, I admit I got extra lucky there) and it hit 0.003% on the 2-20v dc range. No brand new Chinese gear is going to get anywhere close to that for less than several thousand quid.

There's no substitute for quality, and that's where your sig gen price difference comes from. You're paying for better quality components and better design which equate to longer service life and better output signal quality.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Tektronix-Hameg-Fluke-HP-TTi-Solartron-Thurlby-IsoTech-Black Star-Micronta-Mastech-UniT

Offline PerranOak

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 02:38:37 pm »
About the 121GW: do you not get firmware updates for free from Dave?

I notice that an update can be purchased on Simon's site.
Some light can never be seen!
RJD

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 07:20:01 pm »

Updates are free. I just updated to version 2.00. Procedure is simple and painless.

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 07:28:00 pm »

Firmware updates are free.  Simon will just sell them to you pre-updated to the latest which saves you getting an SD card and doing it yourself.  It would be useful if you don't care about logging and don't have a micro-SD card and reader around to do it yourself.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 07:47:09 pm »

Firmware updates are free.  Simon will just sell them to you pre-updated to the latest which saves you getting an SD card and doing it yourself.  It would be useful if you don't care about logging and don't have a micro-SD card and reader around to do it yourself.
Interestingly, the unit I bought through Welectron had a micro SD card installed...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf